Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

MM2H - question about investment account

MM2H - question about investment account

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default MM2H - question about investment account

I was looking on the Forum whether my question had already been discussed but could not find it. So I hope that I'm not repeating a topic which was already covered.

My plan is to get my MM2H visa and then move to Penang (I already found lots of great advice on the Forum about these steps. Many thanks!). It is my intention to live there permanently, unless I'm away on holiday. As a next step would I like to transfer some of my savings to a local (meaning: Malaysian) bank in Penang, to have it closer by and easier to reach than savings which are in some far away country. My understanding thus far is that Malaysian banks are willing to have me as a customer, with a normal account for paying the bills and for a savings account.

What I would like to have is an account where I can invest some of my savings in mutual funds and/or ETFs. It is not my intention to start stock trading or investing in individual companies. Are there Malaysian banks which have such accounts available for people living in Malaysia on an MM2H visa?
I read in another thread about taxes that capital gains on stocks on the Bursa Malaysia are taxed (are considered income), but gains on foreign stock exchanges are not. So for tax purposes would it probably be better to invest in mutual funds and/or ETFs which are listed on a foreign stock exchange. I'm not sure, but this could complicate things a bit.

Any pointers, hints or tips would be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 1:22 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H - question about investment account

The issue is where will the fund management take place and the profits be generated. If this is in Malaysia, then you will be taxable on them. If they are outside Malaysia and later remitted to Malaysia, you will not be. I believe simple interest on an account held in Malaysia is not taxable to you.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SushiFan welcome to the forum,
I seem to be a few steps ahead of you and this is a subject that has been really vexing me for the last couple of months as we prepare to leave England. If you can make a few more posts (BB or IVV can advise how many are needed) I will PM you with some of my thoughts on the subject and how we plan to invest our savings. My views will of course be very UK centric in terms of tax and investment strategies.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

The way the Ringgit has been falling the last few weeks I would not be transferring my savings there at the moment.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston_1
The way the Ringgit has been falling the last few weeks I would not be transferring my savings there at the moment.
Well it doesn't have to be in Ringgits. We hold several deposits in foreign currencies. Interest is tax free still.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sushi Fan and welcome to the forum

You will need to do 3 posts before the PM function kicks in.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Sushi Fan and welcome to the forum

You will need to do 3 posts before the PM function kicks in.
Thank you BB for your kind help (in reaching the three posts).
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, this drop in the Ringgit is surely helping me in the 150,000 MYR deposit I will have to pay. Transferring any savings is a thing of the future though.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Hi SushiFan welcome to the forum,
I seem to be a few steps ahead of you and this is a subject that has been really vexing me for the last couple of months as we prepare to leave England. If you can make a few more posts (BB or IVV can advise how many are needed) I will PM you with some of my thoughts on the subject and how we plan to invest our savings. My views will of course be very UK centric in terms of tax and investment strategies.
Thank you NeonHippy, for offering to share your thoughts about this topic. I will surely send you a PM.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SushiFan, I have sent you a reply by pm. Hope you find it useful.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Hi SushiFan, I have sent you a reply by pm. Hope you find it useful.
Thank you! I found your message.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

A complete finance numpty here! You say you wouldn't transfer money to Malaysia because of the the falling ringit. Surely this is a good time to transfer when you're getting more for (in my case) the Euro, unless of course you think the Malaysian economy is going to completely collapse?

I ask because we've been waiting for the ringit to depreciate in order to make a transfer. Now I'm not so sure
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Fenella
A complete finance numpty here! You say you wouldn't transfer money to Malaysia because of the the falling ringit. Surely this is a good time to transfer when you're getting more for (in my case) the Euro, unless of course you think the Malaysian economy is going to completely collapse?

I ask because we've been waiting for the ringit to depreciate in order to make a transfer. Now I'm not so sure
I like your thinking, Fenella. Yes I think that is true. I guess the problem is that none of us have crystal balls and, even though retired or some may be almost retired, there's still a lot of years to go for some of us. Life may change. Lots of things may change.

You may think you will stay in Malaysia forever, but who knows what is around the corner

So probably good to not keep all eggs (currencies) in one basket in case you move again.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 10:56 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenella

Hi Fenella,

I'm with Winston on this one.

Let's say you exchanged £100 on August 1st - you'd have got about 596 ringgit. Wait a month and you'd have got 661 ringgit. 11% more.

How long to make 11% in a UK building society? 5 years or more!

If the ringgit continues to tank over the next few weeks it could well be worth hanging on tight to your Sterling, and only exchanging what you need when you need it, maybe you’ll make another 11%.

Polishing my very tarnished crystal ball I see RM7+ to the £1 before year end, and oil below $40 a barrel. It's already down 60% since June last year.

There' not much good news for Malaysia at present IMHO, and no rush to buy ringgit just yet.

JC3
Old Aug 27th 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Interestingly yesterday it was 6.6 to the £, this morning 6.5, now 6.47 at 12:30 UK time. Wonder if it has bottomed out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.