Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

MM2H participant raves about Penang's food and the Locals

MM2H participant raves about Penang's food and the Locals

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default MM2H participant raves about Penang's food and the Locals

A friend pointed out this "news story" in the Star online recently. I just wonder where do they find these people? Maybe it's these inquisitive folks that TeeJayDee runs into. You wanna watch out next time someone is asking questions.... might find yourself in the Star newspaper.

Anyway the news story is that this guy, a Singapore born Brit, got his MM2H back in 2006 and really loves Penang and the beautiful greenery (obviously doesn't live near me then).

You can read more here:
MM2H participant raves about friendly locals and tasty food - Focus | The Star Online
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H participant raves about Penang's food and the Locals

Originally Posted by bakedbean
A friend pointed out this "news story" in the Star online recently. I just wonder where do they find these people? Maybe it's these inquisitive folks that TeeJayDee runs into. You wanna watch out next time someone is asking questions.... might find yourself in the Star newspaper.
This article is all well and good, and although they asked him how old he was and if he was married, they failed to ask him how much he paid for his house, and how much he used to earn .

Also, they appear to have asked him what he liked about Penang (to which he duly trotted out the standard answers of "the locals" and "the food"), but not what he disliked. I am sure if they had, he would have said "Nothing", as no doubt he would not wish to jeopardise his prospects for getting his mm2h visa renewed 12 months from now.

Last edited by teejaydee; Jan 23rd 2015 at 10:58 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The story said he goes hiking 'THRICE' a week....jeeez, how old is this reporter?

I haven't heard that word since I turned 75...a few years ago...
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
The story said he goes hiking 'THRICE' a week....jeeez, how old is this reporter?

I haven't heard that word since I turned 75...a few years ago...
In my experience, it is a very commonly-used word amongst Indians, who often use a form of English which to many of us would appear quaint. I suspect the interviewee used the word and the reporter just included it in the article.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I've noticed that too TeeJayDee.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes I've noticed that too TeeJayDee.
I suppose it's not surprising that British English and Indian English should differ, in the same way that British English and American English do.

While working in India, I came across another example of the use of archaic words still being used in Indian English. I was often referred to as a "Britisher", which is a term I had never before heard. For anyone interested, the internet tells me:

Britisher is mainly used in the Indian subcontinent, having originated there during the British Raj. Its use was once considered pejorative, but is now mostly considered jocular.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:14 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

It's also what the Bosch called us - Britischer - not that I was alive then!