British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Gurney Project, etc. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/gurney-project-etc-901562/)

Suncamp Aug 13th 2017 4:42 am

Gurney Project, etc.

Hello All

Greetings! Just joined, recently approved for MM2H, planning to move to Penang in January with wife and two kids...ageing father trying to stay young...

What's going on with the land reclamation project on Gurney--how would that impact our lifestyle if we chose to live on Gurney? Is the construction causing a lot of problems in terms of noise, traffic, pollution? Any advice on living on Gurney--thinking specifically about Gurney Beach Resort--would be much appreciated.

Do any of the condo buildings in Penang have indoor sprinkler systems for safety in case of fire?

Are installed kitchen dishwashers a complete rarity in Penang?

Hope to join some of you for a few beers early next year!

Cheers,

Suncamp

InVinoVeritas Aug 13th 2017 6:26 am

Re: Gurney Project, etc.

Originally Posted by Suncamp (Post 12315492)
Any advice on living on Gurney?

How about - don't!

I currently have a wonderful view of this and, happily, will be gone before the really heavy construction work starts up.

It's a huge project and will go on for years and years and years. It might be wonderful when it's finished (assuming they resist the temptation to plant tower blocks instead of trees) but the sea will still have moved several hundred meters away from Gurney by that time.

Better to look at Tanjung Bungah or Batu Ferringhi, IMHO.

Suncamp Aug 13th 2017 6:43 am

How about Tanjung Tokong?

InVinoVeritas Aug 13th 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Suncamp (Post 12315522)
How about Tanjung Tokong?

The development you refer to stretches from Seri Tanjung to Gurney Wharf. A 760 acre island is planned just off Straits Quay. I would say Tanjung Tokong will not be a good place to be.

SushiFan Aug 13th 2017 7:21 am

What's going on with the land reclamation project on Gurney--how would that impact our lifestyle if we chose to live on Gurney? Is the construction causing a lot of problems in terms of noise, traffic, pollution? Any advice on living on Gurney--thinking specifically about Gurney Beach Resort--would be much appreciated.

Have you found this article: Gurney Wharf – The New Seafront Public Park | Penang Property Talk It gives some "artist impressions" of how the park might look like. Formally spoken are there two reclamation projects ongoing: one is called Gurney Wharf and adds a strip of land next to Gurney Drive. This is supposed to become a park. The other project is called Seri Tanjung Pinang, where many buildings are foreseen once the land is stable enough to carry their weight. Artist impression here: http://www.thestar.com.my/business/b...d-for-phase-2/

Do any of the condo buildings in Penang have indoor sprinkler systems for safety in case of fire?

Are installed kitchen dishwashers a complete rarity in Penang?

I have not seen such sprinkler systems. You would have to look in the very new and high end projects if you want to have a (small) chance of finding such systems.

Dishwasher? My wife keeps telling me that that's what husbands are for. :sneaky:

InVinoVeritas Aug 13th 2017 7:28 am

I find the complete absence of double-glazing even more puzzling :confused:

bakedbean Aug 13th 2017 11:33 pm

I am in Tanjung Tokong. I beg to disagree. Doesn't impact on my life at all. I watch the islands being formed from afar ;) If you were bang on top of it, I guess it might impact.

Tanjung Tokong is not a bad place to be. It depends what you want. From convenience point of view, you can walk to banks, supermarkets, shops, eateries, etc. And hospitals just a quick 10 minute whizz away.... something to consider in senior years. It has changed a LOT in the past few years. Many many condos now. Looks a bit like a second rate Singapore. If you are looking for peace and quiet, look somewhere else. We are all different. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same things!!

Not heard of double glazing here. We looked into windows when we bought our condo, and had ALL windows changed to thicker type when we renovated (we bought off plan, new). So my flat not as noisy as some.

Best advice would be to go look at Gurney and see what you think. And take advice from a good property agent. If you are thinking.... walking to everywhere.... take a look at Quayside at Straits Quay. It is expensive to rent there but you get everything...like a resort and can walk to shops, Tesco etc and good security these days. I visited friends the other day and it was like bloody Fort Knox.

Edit: please consider security. There was a well publicised break in along Gurney recently in the papers, and also a new development along the windy road to Bt Ferringhi. Clearly security guys not good. So talk with others at where you are thinking of renting or buying.

I blow hot and cold about the condo I live in, but it does have excellent security and realise that this is very important.

InVinoVeritas Aug 13th 2017 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12315997)
I am in Tanjung Tokong. I beg to disagree. Doesn't impact on my life at all. I watch the islands being formed from afar ;) If you were bang on top of it, I guess it might impact.

You have to bear in mind that all the work which has so far taken place is at a height of 1-2 metres and all the material used so far has been transported by sea.

In the future phases the construction will rise up out of the seabed and the noise associated with this will radiate further inland. At the same time more and more material will arrive by road with a consequent impact on traffic, pollution and noise. Tanjung Tokong residents will likely become significantly more affected at this time. :(

montakute Aug 14th 2017 6:11 am

Andaman Quayside Block G (Block G only) in Tanjung Tokong comes with dishwashers and I've seen them here and there. In Canada, we would keep a few days worth of rinsed dishes in the dishwasher before washing them. But our place was dry year round. Although we don't have a dishwasher here in Penang, I don't think I could do the same thing here due to the humidity, the dishes could get really stinky, really fast. I guess it would be ok if you wash the dishes as soon as you put them in. And keep the inside always dry (and the door always slightly open?) to prevent mold.