Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Bringing the parents as dependents under MM2H

Bringing the parents as dependents under MM2H

Old May 20th 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing the parents as dependents under MM2H

This is a topic with almost no information on the MM2H website and the rest of the net.

I plan to bring my parents end of the year, but the information I got is not too clear. From other MM2Hers I heard that the parents only get half year or one year visas, but that maybe is only valid for special nationalities. Because for Westerners who can enter 90 days without visa this would make things a little bit useless.

Did anybody here bring his parents and can tell me about the process?
Old May 20th 2016, 11:25 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing the parents as dependents under MM2H

I have no first-hand knowledge, and hopefully someone here will post, but my understanding was that parents (provided they are over 60) are just treated as a Dependent to the visa, in much the same way as a Spouse or Children. So their visas will tie in with your MM2H visa. So, for example, if your visa goes up to say January 2017, they will only get up to January 2017.

Where are you based now, eCdD? I think you were in KL before? Maybe drop a line to Yvonne at Joy-Stay and ask for her thoughts?

If you were based in Penang, I would suggest contacting Alter Domus.

These guys are well-known and reliable agents and keep up to date with current procedures and know all the little wrinkles that are not always in black and white on the government website.
Old May 21st 2016, 1:26 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

I also have no first hand knowledge, but my understanding is as follows:
  • The Main Applicant can apply to include his/her parents over 60 years of age (Parents-in-law may also be permitted, but this is reviewed on a case by case basis)
  • The application for parents must be done after the Main Applicant has obtained his/her MM2H visa
  • No further fixed deposit is required for the parents
  • The parents’ MM2H visa is only for six months at a time, with indefinite renewal for 10 years

Good luck!

JC3
Old May 21st 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Where are you based now, eCdD? I think you were in KL before? Maybe drop a line to Yvonne at Joy-Stay and ask for her thoughts? If you were based in Penang, I would suggest contacting Alter Domus.
We moved from KL to Ipoh and we will stay here. Perak is a good place

I have a little bit scruples to contact this agencies as I have not done business with them so far and there is very little left that could be done.

Thanks, JC3, this six months only is a big disappointment. I hoped it is only for our Chinese friends who always have visa troubles all around the world. Going all the time to Putrajaya, that is really hard to bear. And the costs while the 90 day stamp is free... Is it the same for kids as dependents?

Maybe my parents should consider their own MM2H in this case.
Old May 24th 2016, 8:42 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
I also have no first hand knowledge, but my understanding is as follows:
  • The parents’ MM2H visa is only for six months at a time, with indefinite renewal for 10 years

JC3
Originally Posted by eCdD
Thanks, JC3, this six months only is a big disappointment. ... Is it the same for kids as dependents?
No, not as far as I know.

JC3