Reload this Page >

Where to live with an internet based job

Where to live with an internet based job

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

M and M is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Where to live with an internet based job

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some advice from the knowledgeable BE community...

If you had a job that meant you could work from anywhere in the world and just required a decent internet connection to do your work, where would you live?

I'm sure there are lots of people who do work online, or would like to work online that would find this information useful.

Useful facts about us:
1. I'm English and my wife is Spanish, so we both have EU based passports if that means anything.
2. I work for a British company, so having some overlap with the 9am to 5pm working day would be very helpful.
3. Currently we're living in New Zealand, so communicating with the UK means working late nights (especially during the British winter). Although we have been here for over 4 years, so we should soon have NZ passports which opens up additional possibilities.
4. We have no children and are in our 40s, so probably don't qualify for most retirement visas.

Although we're quite happy in New Zealand, it is very expensive to live over here - even more expensive than the UK.

And somewhere where there's a low tax rate would be great too .
Old Dec 11th 2012, 1:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live with an internet based job

Hi, think you have already answered some of the questions for yourself.
Some of your needs would be met by a move to Spain, with a Spanish wife this is easier than for many others. It would also enable you to have a more easily structured work/personal life. But is that what you both want??

You can get lots of biased pushing and shoving from those here on BE with their own ideal places but at the end of the day it has to be what You and Yours want to do, where you will feel happy, where you see yourselves in the future as well as the present...

hth
`
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

You need to give more information than somewhere with a good internet connection and cheaper than New Zealand. What are you looking for?
What climate?
English-speaking locals?
City or country?
And so on.
Think through your preferences if you want to find somewhere you'll be happy.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:58 am
Just Joined

hullabaloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Answer: Gibraltar.

The oracles have spoken. Next question.
Old May 6th 2013, 9:53 am
Just Joined

sathya is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai is the best city/place to work, there is no need to pay taxes (from our income). I think you should check out this. However, if you feel New Zealand is the one for you, then you may consider it for your work.
Old May 6th 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

It would be helpful if you gave your priorities in order. Give us something to work with. My home in the Cayman Islands is warm and free of Income Tax, but is more expensive than NZ. We have excellent internet connections, but we are five hours out of synch with GMT. In your shoes, I would go with Hullabaloo's advice and choose Gibraltar, if you can get in there.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

pantich77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sathya
Dubai is the best city/place to work, there is no need to pay taxes (from our income). I think you should check out this. However, if you feel New Zealand is the one for you, then you may consider it for your work.
Hmm,too hot. Canary islands maybe ? Island of Gran Canaria or Tenerife.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Cyberspace
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd choose New Zealand
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:33 am
Just Joined

AJ1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say Gibraltar is a good option also..!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I can work from anywhere that has decent internet service. I intend to move to Mexico some time after after all the kids have left home and then eventually retire there.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

chappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to all

I'm doing the same - living in NZ running an internet business in the UK, Australia and NZ. I'd like to go to Cuba for a few months but you can't get internet there at all apparently!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

post #3, #10 & #13

Malta is the next best thing, great climate, people, low cost of living, all (mostly) English speaking, health coverage for EU citizens & the all important tax.

How Malta's new tax rules could benefit expats - Telegraph

http://www.pwc.com/en_MT/mt/tax-rate...dates_2013.pdf

http://www.franksalt.com.mt/Search/SearchResults.aspx

Last edited by not2old; Oct 21st 2014 at 7:13 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

<< Although we're quite happy, it is very expensive to live over here - even more expensive than the UK.

And somewhere where there's a low tax rate would be great too>>

That's everyone's dream!!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
<< Although we're quite happy, it is very expensive to live over here - even more expensive than the UK.

And somewhere where there's a low tax rate would be great too>>

That's everyone's dream!!
and don't forget to include ....

-climate

Easy access to the rest of Europe, ferry over to Italy, fly direct from Malta to UK - Or Rome on-wards to OZ, NZ, USA etc

-Safety

-least amount of aggro

-Language (a big one)

-Furnished rental for around 450-500 euro/mth

- basic all-in living cost for 2 people including rent, utilities, internet/phone, groceries approx 1200 euro/mth is doable

- Entertainment out & a heavy booze budget is extra

Last edited by not2old; Oct 21st 2014 at 9:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.