Where to go...

Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to go...

As my previous post of this title mysteriously disappeared I'll post it again:

We are a family of four - My husband has many years of experience as a Warehouse Manager and I have a BA and MA in English Literature from Cambridge Uni. We have a 16 year old and a baby. We'd really appreciate any ideas on where in the world might meet the following criteria:

i) has some shipping/industry/production/logistics/warehousing - so a possible job for husband.
ii) children still play outside together (rather than being glued to the TV, x-box, games consoles)
iii) there are English-speaking state schools or inexpensive international schools
iv) one can find a job while speaking English (though we do intend to work hard to learn the native language fluently)
v) there is some nature about (it's not a dust bowl or a busy city).

Thanks Xx
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go...

Any number of places could fit your criteria - however, iv) is the important one.

Without work and an income no place, even if they have the other criteria, is going to offer you a good quality of life.

You have posted in the Australian, NZ and Canada forums - all would suffice your requirements - however, you need that job first.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
As my previous post of this title mysteriously disappeared I'll post it again:

We are a family of four - My husband has many years of experience as a Warehouse Manager and I have a BA and MA in English Literature from Cambridge Uni. We have a 16 year old and a baby. We'd really appreciate any ideas on where in the world might meet the following criteria:

i) has some shipping/industry/production/logistics/warehousing - so a possible job for husband.
ii) children still play outside together (rather than being glued to the TV, x-box, games consoles)
iii) there are English-speaking state schools or inexpensive international schools
iv) one can find a job while speaking English (though we do intend to work hard to learn the native language fluently)
v) there is some nature about (it's not a dust bowl or a busy city).

Thanks Xx
Sounds to me like the UK would tick all of those boxes and fit you perfectly, have you considered there?!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

UK seriously fails on ii)
Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
UK seriously fails on ii)
I live in the UK, and my children are constantly outside, haven't watched tv (or asked to) for approx 6 weeks, and have never played a computer game in their lives.

If your kids just aren't outdoorsy, then moving countries isn't going to change that.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I live in the UK, and my children are constantly outside, haven't watched tv (or asked to) for approx 6 weeks, and have never played a computer game in their lives.

If your kids just aren't outdoorsy, then moving countries isn't going to change that.
My sisters kids have always been real outside children, playing in the street, in the park when they get the chance, walks in the countryside, and they love trips to places like the Brecon Beacons. As you say, I think its more down to individual personalities than location.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Weather is a big thing and the UK doesn't have good weather for the outdoor's compared to Australia, New Zealand. Saying that i spent most of my time outdoor's as a kid, it's when you get older the weather affect's you more from doing the thing's you'd like
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by paddy234
Weather is a big thing and the UK doesn't have good weather for the outdoor's compared to Australia, New Zealand. Saying that i spent most of my time outdoor's as a kid, it's when you get older the weather affect's you more from doing the thing's you'd like
Depends on your idea of 'good weather' I guess. I hate hot weather and would stay inside then, but I'm perfectly happy outside in the rain or snow!

The weather in the UK isn't going to affect a kid going outside or not (mine are outside for hours in the rain and don't even seem to notice). If they love being outdoors they'll do it whatever the weather imx.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Depends on your idea of 'good weather' I guess. I hate hot weather and would stay inside then, but I'm perfectly happy outside in the rain or snow!

The weather in the UK isn't going to affect a kid going outside or not (mine are outside for hours in the rain and don't even seem to notice). If they love being outdoors they'll do it whatever the weather imx.
Yea i fully agree for a kid these thing's won't matter, i was the same myself but i find for us adult's our outdoor lifestyle's are generally more dependent on the weather. Fair enough you are happy enough in the rain or snow so this is the perfect climate, each to their own. I myself would prefer mild winter's and nice hot summer's most likely down to work lol
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
Many children in Australia suffer at the hotter end of the extremes - too hot to play outside in 30-35 degrees