Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where are Brits allowed to live?

Where are Brits allowed to live?

Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where are Brits allowed to live?

Originally Posted by Grahamnash
I am married to a Thai and can't even own land here, but I can own a house. So I lease land from my wife that cost nothing to renew every 30 years, I can even sell the lease, or give it away. I can put a house on it as I did, or keep pigs on it.

Some people set things up like this with law firms who hold the land but in effect never have use of it.

I would however advise renting something, you can rent from as little as 25 Euros a month, lets be fare if you decide to move it is very easy to do if you don't have not got to sell the house first.
I know people that rent here, and get an income from renting out the house they have in Europe. That way you can also go back if you need to, plus you keep an address in your home country, not always a bad thing. The cost of living here is low if you don't eat in fancy restaurants and drink wine. Stick to the local "very tasty" stuff and two can live on 500 GBP per month all in, I do.
If you or anyone would like to know how to make it in Thailand, drop me a line.
Graham Nash
Thanks, this is very helpful of you, I am sure a few people will take you up on this. I can see that at these rental prices, it is probably not worth buying and I am sure this applies to many countries. Better to follow your logic and rent out your place in the UK.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Malaysia is worth consideration also. Especially if retirement is not far off. From 50 Malaysia grants ten year long visas with a few requirements ofcourse but less than most other countries.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Without (much) paperwork, anywhere in the Schengen Agreement area, which includes the EU and Switzerland. Most of the French overseas departments and collectives are included in Schengen, so you could move to any French island in the Caribbean (and most people speak English because of the American tourists).

British Overseas Territories such as BVI, Cayman Islands, Bermuda etc. all have their own immigration departments, you have to get a residency permit, essentially they have their own citizenship called being a "belonger". Obviously the Falklands is going to be easier than Bermuda, for example. Becoming resident in the BVI or the Cayman Islands is very hard.

You also have to be aware that your govt. pension lacks cost of living increases in many of these jurisdictions, which may be an issue for you.

Personally if I were you I'd stick to the EU, there's a reason so many people move to Spain. One of the main things you need to take into account are healthcare costs. In the EU and Switzerland you're covered, most other places you would not be. Given that the Spanish real estate market has imploded, now would be the time to buy. Given the number of British people who live there, the language isn't a major problem.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:28 am
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

I'm going to keep a keen eye on this thread. I hope that lots of knowledgeable people chip in.

The problem with Thailand as I see it is that as a Brit you still have to keep renewing your visa. I recall something about if you buy a house over half a million pounds sterling (GBP) the Thai government garauntee to give you a ten year visa - whoopee ! What about after that though !!
My fear for the Thai option is just one day they say "no more visa for you Mista" and you have to unravel your life.

Not that I have half a million quid anyway !
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia has upped their requirements from my last post. As of end of 11, they require an income of 10,000 Malaysian Ringett,which is a bit under $3,500 Australian a month.
Although my understanding is they only ask to see it once but must show three months backdated of receipts proving this.
A lump sum of 150,000 (MR)must be kept in a Malaysian bank and the person applying should be fifty or over.
A ten year renewable visa will be issued after othe cheques are done. It is called Make Malaysia your Second Home.
You can't own land in Thailand. Most buy a condo or house in Thai partners name. They do have a retirement visa but don't recall the in and outs of it all at the moment.
Don't fancy Thailand myself but know a few who have moved there.
Certainly money goes a lot further than UK or Australia.
It wouldn't at all surprise me if many more folk don't look into South East Asian options in the future. Especially those retiring.....
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritAus
I'm going to keep a keen eye on this thread. I hope that lots of knowledgeable people chip in.
Perhaps a bit optimistic on a thread that had been dormant for over 9 months
I opted for Hungary in the end and overall it seems to have been a good choice so far, although the language barrier is made of two inch thick hardened steel!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:17 am
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Perhaps a bit optimistic on a thread that had been dormant for over 9 months
I opted for Hungary in the end and overall it seems to have been a good choice so far, although the language barrier is made of two inch thick hardened steel!

What a choice !!
Its not a language, its an undecipherable code !!!