Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where are Brits allowed to live?

Where are Brits allowed to live?

Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where are Brits allowed to live?

As explained in my intro. post elsewhere in the forum, I'm looking for a house overseas to keep for my eventual retirement. So far I've only considered EC countries as I know British citizens are allowed to live there. I know it's not easy to get accepted for New Zealand, Canada, Australia and USA. In any case, property prices are very high in my favourite of these, New Zealand.
What I was wondering about, is there a list of countries available with a summary of their immigration policies? In particular it would be handy to know which English speaking countries are willing to accept Brits. I fancy Malta but again I don't think my maximum budget of perhaps £75K would buy me a property there.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:07 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are Brits allowed to live?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242288
Old Dec 17th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fidobsa
As explained in my intro. post elsewhere in the forum, I'm looking for a house overseas to keep for my eventual retirement. So far I've only considered EC countries as I know British citizens are allowed to live there. I know it's not easy to get accepted for New Zealand, Canada, Australia and USA. In any case, property prices are very high in my favourite of these, New Zealand.
What I was wondering about, is there a list of countries available with a summary of their immigration policies? In particular it would be handy to know which English speaking countries are willing to accept Brits. I fancy Malta but again I don't think my maximum budget of perhaps £75K would buy me a property there.
Having lived in Canada for a number of years, it was interesting to see where Canadians and Americans retired to. As a retiree, you can live in countries such as Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, etc. quite legally with full access to their medical system. There are other countries but these were the most popular. Your cost of living can also be quite low in some of these areas.

Lake Chapala in Mexico is the most popular with a large colony of north Americans and Europeans. In fact, I believe it has the largest colony of Americans and Canadians outside of their respective countries:

http://www.lake-chapala.com/lake-chapala-retirement.php

http://www.mlsmexico.com/chapala/
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, duplication.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, it looks like this was quite a busy website in the past. I might try to find out a bit more about Gambia as at least the property is cheap. I've always tended to dismiss Africa and South America as being full of diseases and horrible insects. At school I had a french teacher who had been working in Brazil and he had some horror stories about the creepy-crawlies there!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, it looks like this was quite a busy website in the past. I might try to find out a bit more about Gambia as at least the property is cheap. I've always tended to dismiss Africa and South America as being full of diseases and horrible insects. At school I had a french teacher who had been working in Brazil and he had some horror stories about the creepy-crawlies there!
What ... THIS website? It still is, theres over 800 members on line at the moment
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What ... THIS website? It still is, theres over 800 members on line at the moment
Well, as it took nearly a week to get any replies I thought perhaps the site is not very active.

Last edited by fidobsa; Dec 18th 2010 at 10:59 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've always tended to dismiss Africa and South America as being full of diseases and horrible insects. At school I had a french teacher who had been working in Brazil and he had some horror stories about the creepy-crawlies there!
Don't go to Mexico then:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uteart/5004349127/
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Grahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really nice

Hi,

Take a look at Thailand, low cost of living/housing and nice people. I live and work here as a teacher and love it. If you want to know more ask me?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grahamnash
Hi,

Take a look at Thailand, low cost of living/housing and nice people. I live and work here as a teacher and love it. If you want to know more ask me?
I understand foreigners are not allowed to own property in Thailand. Is this correct?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it's the same as in Bulgaria, you can't own land in your own name but you can start a company there and hold the land / property as a company asset.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it's the same as in Bulgaria, you can't own land in your own name but you can start a company there and hold the land / property as a company asset.
Yes, this is one way but, in Thailand at least, the company requires a majority Thai ownership so you will never have full control over your purchase. Probably best to rent.

Have you considered Central Portugal? You can get some property bagains there at the moment. I came across this site that has some interesting properties that are reasonably priced, especially if you are prepared to do some renovation work.

http://www.pureportugal.co.uk/

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 19th 2010 at 12:42 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I had looked at a few sites like that in Portugal and had not ruled it out. I certainly ruled out Spain because of "Land Grab" but apparently this does not happen in Portugal (so far). At least there's no snow there just now, we have plenty here!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Grahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really niceGrahamnash is just really nice
Wink Re: Where are Brits allowed to live?

Originally Posted by johnh009
I understand foreigners are not allowed to own property in Thailand. Is this correct?
I am married to a Thai and can't even own land here, but I can own a house. So I lease land from my wife that cost nothing to renew every 30 years, I can even sell the lease, or give it away. I can put a house on it as I did, or keep pigs on it.

Some people set things up like this with law firms who hold the land but in effect never have use of it.

I would however advise renting something, you can rent from as little as 25 Euros a month, lets be fare if you decide to move it is very easy to do if you don't have not got to sell the house first.
I know people that rent here, and get an income from renting out the house they have in Europe. That way you can also go back if you need to, plus you keep an address in your home country, not always a bad thing. The cost of living here is low if you don't eat in fancy restaurants and drink wine. Stick to the local "very tasty" stuff and two can live on 500 GBP per month all in, I do.
If you or anyone would like to know how to make it in Thailand, drop me a line.
Graham Nash
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I had looked at a few sites like that in Portugal and had not ruled it out. I certainly ruled out Spain because of "Land Grab" but apparently this does not happen in Portugal (so far). At least there's no snow there just now, we have plenty here!
And if the Euro goes down the tubes, it may get even cheaper.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...page_id=2&ct=5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.