Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live???

Where is the best place to live???

Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:28 am
Just Joined

lady c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to live???

Originally Posted by pgtips
Hi, what is the urgency to get out of London now ?
sorry that may have been a tad dramatic!

we've just had enough of being here (20 years) and slogged my guts out all that time; have just had a baby and seen the light! now want my family to enjoy life for a bit instead of slaving away on the treadmill here

easy to do before my little boys needs to go to school, no? just as long as i go somewhere relatively disease free ... he can't have typhoid or hep a jabs until he's 2

so any ideas - gratefully recieved, my aunt & uncle are in malaysia, have a friend in palu weh, indonesia (probably too remote for young family!) and then old friends in st lucia, but really we would consider whatever is best for our baby!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:38 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lady c
sorry that may have been a tad dramatic!

we've just had enough of being here (20 years) and slogged my guts out all that time; have just had a baby and seen the light! now want my family to enjoy life for a bit instead of slaving away on the treadmill here

easy to do before my little boys needs to go to school, no? just as long as i go somewhere relatively disease free ... he can't have typhoid or hep a jabs until he's 2

so any ideas - gratefully recieved, my aunt & uncle are in malaysia, have a friend in palu weh, indonesia (probably too remote for young family!) and then old friends in st lucia, but really we would consider whatever is best for our baby!

Lady C, where have you been that you feel comfortable and could see yourself living there happily ?

What are important priorities for you, for example being near friends, having modern amenities, good health care etc ?

Have you saved up enough or have enough realisable assets to relieve the initial financial strain of moving abroad. The stronger the finances the easier it will be for you.

Another important aspect is what you are going to do to earn a living in your chosen destination and are there much opportunities in that field. If not are you willing to change and do something completely different ?

I am planning to move to St Lucia next year, but this has been after a lot of thought and planning, because if you fail to plan and jump in at a whim, you have a greater chance of failure.

I will build a house on my land or purchase a property outright without no mortgage and hence I will not have the burden of having to pay rent or a mortgage so I already will start in an advantaged position. I will also buy a car outright and have enough land to have a decent kitchen garden where i will grow an array of fruit and veggies to keep my food bill down. I will be able to do this because a lot of planning and research. I have made good connections in St Lucia over the years and visit the island regular and keep up to date of what is happening and the latest developments. Because of careful planning I am able to afford to live quite comfortably in the most developed part of the island and I will be literally a 10-15 minute walk from the heart of all the tourist activity and a great beach, not to mention good schools for the kiddies.

So for me St Lucia may be great, but for you that is a different story. You have to find where tickles your fancy and ticks the majority in your want boxes. The best way is to visit places you are considering and spend a good amount of time there really getting a feel for the place, and seeing if you can live there comfortably if your finances permit.

One thing for sure you do not want to leave one rat race (london) for another rat race, because even paradise can be a rat race if you do not plan and have your finances in order.

Hopefully the last 20 years of you slugging your guts in London has not been in vein and when you are sipping your pina colada in your tropical Villa you will look back and say thank you London the twenty year slog was worth the wait.( I certainly will as slogging in london has afforded me this opportunity, all thanks be to God )

Good luck

Last edited by pgtips; Jan 6th 2008 at 10:57 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

lady c is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks mr tips!

good advice! hopefully see you there ... if we do end up there?!

we're realistically not going to be ready for at least a couple of months probably thinking APRIL.

i did live in st lucia before, so know it quite well and have got small income, so shouldn't have to work. hoping to do volunteer work instead so we can give something back - I'm not a bad cook, so maybe something along those lines!?

BUT OTHER DESTINATIONS STILL CONSIDERED! ALL ADVICE STILL WELCOME!