Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:38 pm   #31
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,491
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Not just in Cayman. I live on a Scottish island and even after 7 years here I am closer to other incomers than to the aborigines here ! Some of my best friends are English with Tory tendencies !
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:47 pm   #32
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 3,238
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Just human nature.
Yes. Tribalism, pure and simple.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th 2017, 5:44 am   #33
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 854
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Many Americans have retired to Mexico, Central America, and to a lesser extent, South America due to climate, low cost of living, and quality access of health care (which is available to cashed-up expats but perhaps not the locals).

Panama and parts of today's Colombia (but not yesterday's) match that. Panama, in particular has become something of a retiree haven for Americans, as has Costa Rica. Cuenca, Ecuador has also emerged as a US retiree favourite.

In some areas you do have to contend with a high crime rate, but it is different than, say, in South Africa. In RSA I would be worried about getting murdered, but that's very unlikely to happen to you in Central/South America, though you can expect for your house to get broken into at some point.

There is a concept called "Economic Citizenship" (EC) in some islands like St Kitts & Nevis, where if you buy a property that is expensive enough (like $400,000 USD) you are granted a passport and can come and go as you like. Worth investigating.

However, if you are going to consider places that far afield, you might as well look towards other places like Thailand, which is something of a haven for Australian retirees and also has excellent health care for the wealthy (Gulf Arabs often fly to Bangkok for their procedures, as do Western expats based in the Gulf).

Lima, Peru would be worth looking at as a dark-horse candidate. You do have the same crime issues but you can live very, very well there on a UK pensioner's income, and lots of very interesting destinations, Westerner-oriented shopping and beaches nearby.
carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:20 am   #34
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 854
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Can I also just add - I agree with the earlier poster who said Croatia is an obvious choice. I don't think Brexit will affect people in your situation very much, if at all. British nationals living permanently and working in the EU may have a real problem, but you would effectively coming as a tourist for six months or less each year, to a property you already own. I would be shocked if British tourists weren't given six months' entry to the EU.

You identified a 10-hour flight as "relatively nearby." 10-hour flights get old, and expensive, very fast when you have to do them regularly. But you could drive to Croatia and take your car, which should also be a consideration.
carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:49 pm   #35
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,102
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Many Americans have retired to Mexico, Central America, and to a lesser extent, South America due to climate, low cost of living, and quality access of health care (which is available to cashed-up expats but perhaps not the locals).

Panama and parts of today's Colombia (but not yesterday's) match that. Panama, in particular has become something of a retiree haven for Americans, as has Costa Rica. Cuenca, Ecuador has also emerged as a US retiree favourite.

In some areas you do have to contend with a high crime rate, but it is different than, say, in South Africa. In RSA I would be worried about getting murdered, but that's very unlikely to happen to you in Central/South America, though you can expect for your house to get broken into at some point.

There is a concept called "Economic Citizenship" (EC) in some islands like St Kitts & Nevis, where if you buy a property that is expensive enough (like $400,000 USD) you are granted a passport and can come and go as you like. Worth investigating.

However, if you are going to consider places that far afield, you might as well look towards other places like Thailand, which is something of a haven for Australian retirees and also has excellent health care for the wealthy (Gulf Arabs often fly to Bangkok for their procedures, as do Western expats based in the Gulf).

Lima, Peru would be worth looking at as a dark-horse candidate. You do have the same crime issues but you can live very, very well there on a UK pensioner's income, and lots of very interesting destinations, Westerner-oriented shopping and beaches nearby.
I think the OP wanted flights 10 hours or less, so that eliminates the Far East.

Ecuador I have heard many good things about especially the cost of living, though I think Colombia has a lot more to offer. Guess a lot depends on what one is looking fro - lower cost living can be had in many Latin American and Eastern European countries.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:56 pm   #36
I still dont believe it..
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: 12 degrees north
Posts: 1,362
uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

A few parts of eastern europe - and turkey of course - are now seeing security problems associated with islamist terrorism. The lack of terrorism and some other private industry crime in the more strident totalitarian regimes in places is a plus! Heres a map that might be useful.

How safe is your 2017 summer holiday? Map reveals most DANGEROUS destinations in Europe | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk
__________________
Just over 64.3% of statistics are made up, the rest are lies.
uk_grenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:06 pm   #37
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,102
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
A few parts of eastern europe - and turkey of course - are now seeing security problems associated with islamist terrorism. The lack of terrorism and some other private industry crime in the more strident totalitarian regimes in places is a plus! Heres a map that might be useful.

How safe is your 2017 summer holiday? Map reveals most DANGEROUS destinations in Europe | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk
Since only a small part of Turkey is in Europe, and certainly not a European country, hadn't considered it.

Was just in Croatia and Croatian part of Bosnia, except for the occasional drunk Brit in tourist destinations, seemed virtually crime free and certainly didn't see any overwhelming desire to bring in Muslim immigrants nor tolerate Islamic extremism in their midst.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th 2017, 4:01 pm   #38
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 12,459
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatP View Post
...

1) Not too distant; say, within a 10-hour flight of Southern UK: 3 1/2 hour non-stop, cheap flights from Luton to Essaouira (which would be my preferred location), and plenty others direct to Marrakech (popular with the wealthy) and Casa (ok if you like a hectic, congested, commercial city).
2) Comfortably warm and sunny during British winter months: Essaouira is good year-round (although very windy at times); Marrakech hot in the summer.
3) Reasonable living costs (preferably cheaper than the UK): Certainly, until you start doing "western" things. Can be really cheap if you want it that way.
4) Reasonably big to explore, rather than a tiny island. Tick.
5) Affordable health insurance: No idea, but I'd want repatriation covered.
6) Good standard of healthcare: I'd want repatriation covered.
7) Flexible stay-duration system without excessive red tape: Tick.
8) English language widely spoken: Tick, but French would help.
9) Genial natives, who welcome Brits: Tick, but you'll have to put up with lots of French!
10) Reasonably safe, with regards food poisoning, diseases, etc.: Tick.
11) Reasonably safe with regards crime, political unrest, etc. Petty crime can be an issue, but see my comments below.
12) Permanent residency possible without paying large amounts for it. I believe so, but 3 month durations are a doddle.
My take on Morocco, having lived here for 4 1/2 years (for work, I'll return to UK when the current project's finished).

I don't think I'd recommend emigrating (for the reasons above), but there are plenty of both wealthy (often very wealthy) and moderately-well off Europeans (and some Americans) who spend a considerable amount of time here. Certainly some have emigrated.

You'd need to be comfortable with the culture here, though: it's North Africa, with all the pros and cons that brings. I also can't help feeling that there are some similarities with the film Casablanca, with most of North Africa already having "fallen". Certainly the government and the security forces do a good job of maintaining safety, security and social cohesion, but it's not everyone's cup of (mint) tea.
__________________
I meant to behave but there were too many other options
Bahtatboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:17 pm   #39
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,102
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
My take on Morocco, having lived here for 4 1/2 years (for work, I'll return to UK when the current project's finished).

I don't think I'd recommend emigrating (for the reasons above), but there are plenty of both wealthy (often very wealthy) and moderately-well off Europeans (and some Americans) who spend a considerable amount of time here. Certainly some have emigrated.

You'd need to be comfortable with the culture here, though: it's North Africa, with all the pros and cons that brings. I also can't help feeling that there are some similarities with the film Casablanca, with most of North Africa already having "fallen". Certainly the government and the security forces do a good job of maintaining safety, security and social cohesion, but it's not everyone's cup of (mint) tea.
Lots of people may have recommended Lebanon years ago, or even Egypt not that many years ago. Hard to see North Africa as a long term stable region to spend time in.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:17 am   #40
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,491
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Tangier and other parts of that region used to be favoured by rich Europeans interested in the company of young men.
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:38 am   #41
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
coconuthead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunny winter destinations, other than Sothern Europe or USA?

Penang, Malaysia meets most of the OP's criteria
coconuthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:57 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com