St Petersburg

Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all
Default Re: St Petersburg

Originally Posted by larnie
Yes well we have just spent 18 months in the Middle East so we know about not drinking the water
Especially hot water. Everyone use filters here in Russia and boil cold water.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Was there many years ago for a 6 month period so know the city quite well. Impressive historic area but like most Russian cities grey endless blocks of flats everywhere. Like somebody said don`t drink the water, also don`t bathe in lakes in the summer and don`t buy meat and vegetables from Russian supermarkets, the stuff is radioactive

Also get private medical coverage there because if you go into a state hospital the chances of coming out again are remote

Also avoid crossfires when the local mafias starting shooting at each other
Due to financin crisis and unemployment there is very high crime situation here in Russia. So be care of unknown man. Also it recommend to fry all meat you by. To prevent that you find some animals.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Muggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vladimir
Due to financin crisis and unemployment there is very high crime situation here in Russia. So be care of unknown man. Also it recommend to fry all meat you by. To prevent that you find some animals.
I have been living here for 3 years now and as an expat (and also apeaking for me other expat mates here), we find that this city is quite safe, it's just lke any city in the world. Just exercise the same amount of care and you will be okay.

As for meat, I get Australian lamb here, I but local meat from a supermarket and it is fine. I but water and attach it to a cooler and drink water from there. Then again, I never drank tap water in London.

You can get bottled mineral water to drink. I have been told by people (expats) who work for he water companies that the water quality here is getting much better and people to gwt water filters and use them, but mineral water is advisable.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Muggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really nice

Originally Posted by willmore
So its ok to buy imported fruit and veges, meat to eat then?
Yep.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:36 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh Im glad I came across this thread. We are going to russia in may starting in st. petes, novgorod and moscow. Thanks for the advice, as we were planning on doing "picnics"....
Just don`t picnic too near a military base........They tend to be trigger happy when they see unknowns.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:39 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Unknown men should definately be avoided but unknown women less so mmm I normally cook my meat anyway before eating it.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Due to financin crisis and unemployment there is very high crime situation here in Russia. So be aware of unknown man. Also it recommend to fry all meat you by. To prevent that you find some animals.
So be aware of unknown man. i mean
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

OMG - here we are talking about russia and Dr. Zhivago was on TV and then canada had to intercept a russian bomber as it approached our airspace..... - that cant be a good sign.....

Now to recap here for our trip to russia:

1. only drink bottled water - just for drinking or brushing teeth as well?
2. only eat imported fruit and vegetables
3. dont picnic near a military base or expect to be shot

Im assuming that its ok to eat and drink in restaurants though, and thats its ok to buy a coffee at a store - is that right and can we buy cheese and bread at a grocery store to eat?

Thanks for all your help everyone - you've been super....
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So be aware of unknown man. i mean
I think he was teasing......
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

OMG - here we are talking about russia and Dr. Zhivago was on TV and then canada had to intercept a russian bomber as it approached our airspace..... - that cant be a good sign.....

Now to recap here for our trip to russia:

1. only drink bottled water - just for drinking or brushing teeth as well?
2. only eat imported fruit and vegetables
3. dont picnic near a military base or expect to be shot

Im assuming that its ok to eat and drink in restaurants though, and thats its ok to buy a coffee at a store - is that right and can we buy cheese and bread at a grocery store to eat?

Thanks for all your help everyone - you've been super....
Khhhmm i think it is hard to understand russian mentality but i reccomend to boil and bottled water too. Simply dont trust anything you buy.Imagine youself in a third world country.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Khhhmm i think it is hard to understand russian mentality but i reccomend to boil and bottled water too. Simply dont trust anything you buy.Imagine youself in a third world country.

Thank you.....!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

robert7 is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys like to exaggerate. I have lived here nine years. St Petersburg is much safer than much of the US... fewer guns, people are calmer, food isn't radioactive or polluted.
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Was there many years ago for a 6 month period so know the city quite well. Impressive historic area but like most Russian cities grey endless blocks of flats everywhere. Like somebody said don`t drink the water, also don`t bathe in lakes in the summer and don`t buy meat and vegetables from Russian supermarkets, the stuff is radioactive

Also get private medical coverage there because if you go into a state hospital the chances of coming out again are remote

Also avoid crossfires when the local mafias starting shooting at each other
Sorry, this is pure stupidity. SP is a quite normal city (well not very sunny though).
Old May 4th 2009, 11:11 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by laven
Sorry, this is pure stupidity. SP is a quite normal city (well not very sunny though).
Of course its stupidity and I hope that you didn`t believe it