St Petersburg

Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:57 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Petersburg

We are moving to St Petersburg at the end of November to take up a new assignment. Is there anyone out there who is living there or knows anything about life in St Pete's.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:27 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Petersburg

Don't drink the water - no really - dont!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:41 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

http://expat.ru/ is your friend!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:11 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larnie
We are moving to St Petersburg at the end of November to take up a new assignment. Is there anyone out there who is living there or knows anything about life in St Pete's.
Was there many years ago for a 6 month period so know the city quite well. Impressive historic area but like most Russian cities grey endless blocks of flats everywhere. Like somebody said don`t drink the water, also don`t bathe in lakes in the summer and don`t buy meat and vegetables from Russian supermarkets, the stuff is radioactive

Also get private medical coverage there because if you go into a state hospital the chances of coming out again are remote

Also avoid crossfires when the local mafias starting shooting at each other
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:28 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Was there many years ago for a 6 month period so know the city quite well. Impressive historic area but like most Russian cities grey endless blocks of flats everywhere. Like somebody said don`t drink the water ... also get private medical coverage there because if you go into a state hospital the chances of coming out again are remote

You make it sound like Manchester!

The organized crime aspect is overblown, at least to the average resident. Despite the (1990s) image, casual bystanders are at minimal risk from organized criminal activity. Violence is typically used only after extended commercial/criminal disputes, and "civilians" don't tend to get caught up in it. St Pete has muggings, of course, but so does everywhere.

Radioactivity in foods tends to be restricted to specific "home collected" produce: http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2002/A...cow12sep02.htm Your health will suffer more from not eating vegetables or by paying for supposedly pristine, supposedly important fruit+veg!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Don't drink the water - no really - dont!!
Yes well we have just spent 18 months in the Middle East so we know about not drinking the water
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:52 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You make it sound like Manchester!

The organized crime aspect is overblown, at least to the average resident. Despite the (1990s) image, casual bystanders are at minimal risk from organized criminal activity. Violence is typically used only after extended commercial/criminal disputes, and "civilians" don't tend to get caught up in it. St Pete has muggings, of course, but so does everywhere.

Radioactivity in foods tends to be restricted to specific "home collected" produce: http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2002/A...cow12sep02.htm Your health will suffer more from not eating vegetables or by paying for supposedly pristine, supposedly important fruit+veg!
jajajaja its just my exagerated idea on Russian life. Yes the average Russian or tourist is largely at no risk from organized crime there so as long as you don`t get involved in organised crime there or you are an obvious target then no problem.

As for the food well went to a couple of Russian supermarkets and one look at some of the meat and veg was enough to convince me not to touch it. At least the foriegn supermarkets there German and Finnish had imported stuff, but all this is just a subjective opinion anyway.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Muggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really nice

I live here and I have done so for a few years now. It's not a bad place to live, there are worse...

St Petersburg is not crime ridden as people say. I would advise to use the the same amount of caution you would use in any other city in the world. You do not get the shoot outs I hear about that were happening in the early 90's. It's pretty much normal here.

I would not say that life perfect here, hardly, but it's okay.

There are now huge supermarkets ebverywhere, you can get imported fruit and veg, meat, well known brands, it's all okay, really!

We are also close by to Finland (Helsinki) and people drive there from St Pete or get the train.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:54 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Muggle
I live here and I have done so for a few years now. It's not a bad place to live, there are worse...

St Petersburg is not crime ridden as people say. I would advise to use the the same amount of caution you would use in any other city in the world. You do not get the shoot outs I hear about that were happening in the early 90's. It's pretty much normal here.

There are now huge supermarkets ebverywhere, you can get imported fruit and veg, meat, well known brands, it's all okay, really!

We are also close by to Finland (Helsinki) and people drive there from St Pete or get the train.
I am sure plenty of drunk Finns make this trip as well.

Where do you live in St Petersburg as I have a reasonable knowledge of the city?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Muggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really niceMuggle is just really nice

I am sure plenty of drunk Finns make this trip as well.

Where do you live in St Petersburg as I have a reasonable knowledge of the city?
In the centre
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:04 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

In the centre
Well you live in the best part that`s for certain.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Close to Nevsky, Hermitage and all that... Are you living here now?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Close to Nevsky, Hermitage and all that... Are you living here now?
No, I was there several years ago studying and briefly working.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Was there many years ago for a 6 month period so know the city quite well. Impressive historic area but like most Russian cities grey endless blocks of flats everywhere. Like somebody said don`t drink the water, also don`t bathe in lakes in the summer and don`t buy meat and vegetables from Russian supermarkets, the stuff is radioactive

Also get private medical coverage there because if you go into a state hospital the chances of coming out again are remote

Gosh Im glad I came across this thread. We are going to russia in may starting in st. petes, novgorod and moscow. Thanks for the advice, as we were planning on doing "picnics"....
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

So its ok to buy imported fruit and veges, meat to eat then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.