Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

South Africa TOurist Visa Question

South Africa TOurist Visa Question

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Davib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Africa TOurist Visa Question

I'm currently in Cape Town on a tourist visa (UK citizen).

My partner and I arrived here on 3rd January planning to stay until 31st May. We had done some research and were under the impression that if we left South Africa before our initial 90 day visa was up for a period of 4 days or more, then we would receive a new 90 day visa upon our return to South Africa. I accept that we were slightly wrong here and you can no longer do this by visiting a country that borders South Africa.

We therefore planned a trip to Namibia for a week in order to renew our visas. Upon returning we were told that this no longer entitles us to a new 90 day visa and we are in fact only able to stay until our original 90 days expires on 3rd April. We were told at customs that in order to receive a new 90 day visa we must in fact leave the whole African continent before returning.

I have done a lot of research since hearing this and cannot find any official documentation that backs up this requirement. Various fora have seen some people having this problem beginning late last year, but still with others saying they have travelled to e.g. Malawi as recently as January 2017 and receiving another 90 day visa.

I have two questions which I would greatly appreciate advice on.

1. In order to get a second 90 day visa must we leave the African continent first?

2. If i leave SA for a neighbouring or other African country on 2 April (day before my visa expires) and then return on 4/5/6th April, will I receive a new 90 day visa?

Many thanks for any advice available!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa TOurist Visa Question

Originally Posted by Davib
I'm currently in Cape Town on a tourist visa (UK citizen).

My partner and I arrived here on 3rd January planning to stay until 31st May. We had done some research and were under the impression that if we left South Africa before our initial 90 day visa was up for a period of 4 days or more, then we would receive a new 90 day visa upon our return to South Africa. I accept that we were slightly wrong here and you can no longer do this by visiting a country that borders South Africa.

We therefore planned a trip to Namibia for a week in order to renew our visas. Upon returning we were told that this no longer entitles us to a new 90 day visa and we are in fact only able to stay until our original 90 days expires on 3rd April. We were told at customs that in order to receive a new 90 day visa we must in fact leave the whole African continent before returning.

I have done a lot of research since hearing this and cannot find any official documentation that backs up this requirement. Various fora have seen some people having this problem beginning late last year, but still with others saying they have travelled to e.g. Malawi as recently as January 2017 and receiving another 90 day visa.

I have two questions which I would greatly appreciate advice on.

1. In order to get a second 90 day visa must we leave the African continent first?

2. If i leave SA for a neighbouring or other African country on 2 April (day before my visa expires) and then return on 4/5/6th April, will I receive a new 90 day visa?

Many thanks for any advice available!
Yes, the 90 days and leaving seems to be correct. I was talking about this with a friend who is up to date with visa rules as she visits frequently. It means to go back to your home country.
Since S.Africa is an African country rules usually are bendable for a "fee" if you go to immigration. How much the fee is I don't know, but it won't just be a tip. Go see immigration, be humble, tell them how much you like S.A. etc. It may just work.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Davib is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for this. Do you know whether the same rule on going to your home country applies if the original visa has expired?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davib
Thanks very much for this. Do you know whether the same rule on going to your home country applies if the original visa has expired?
Sorry, but can't answer for sure. Many neighboring countries grant 90 days/year only. S.A. may have changed to that. There are agents in C.T. who could no doubt help to get extension. Why not see immigration office, be nice to them, dress respectably, and you may be able to get an ext. May cost a bit of time and Rand.