Reload this Page >

moving to Azerbaidjan/ Moscow (maybe) 2009

moving to Azerbaidjan/ Moscow (maybe) 2009

Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:23 am
Just Joined

marmite66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Azerbaidjan/ Moscow (maybe) 2009

Hi Expats,

Can anyone help a worried man? My job maybe sending me and my small family to the above countries (although I have 4 other possible countries) next year if I get it on my list of countries. I have zero knowledge can anyone give me a little idea of the following to get me started

1 How much is rent for a 2 bedroom flat size approx 60/70 sqm in city.
2 What is the climate like?
3 What is Ottawa like?
4 Is the cost of living high?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or tips
Old Dec 28th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all
Default Re: moving to Azerbaidjan/ Moscow (maybe) 2009

Hi, sorry it's taken a while to reply- I've only just noticed this thread.

Although I can't comment on Adjerbaijan, I used to live in Russia, where I was studying. I lived in St. Petersburg, but made frequent trips to Moscow where I had many friends living.

Moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world, and renting a decent flat has many obstacles. Will your company sort out accommodation?

Do you have any children? What are their ages? All these questions are extremely important when thinking about a move to Russia. It's a difficult place to live as a student, let alone trying to bring up a family. Temperatures can be uncompromisingly low in the winter and even uncomfortable in the summer. And then there's the increasing racism. I was lucky as I didn't look too foreign but even Spanish and Italian friends of mine had problems and black friends would never go out alone, especially at night.

As for Ottawa, I'd try posting in the Canada forum if I were you. Good luck.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marmite66
Hi Expats,

Can anyone help a worried man? My job maybe sending me and my small family to the above countries (although I have 4 other possible countries) next year if I get it on my list of countries. I have zero knowledge can anyone give me a little idea of the following to get me started

1 How much is rent for a 2 bedroom flat size approx 60/70 sqm in city.
2 What is the climate like?
3 What is Ottawa like?
4 Is the cost of living high?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or tips
1. At least 1000$ in a month. Without any kind of quality.
2. Ottawa alike i think. A bit colder.
3. - 20 C every year guarantie.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

ApproachingZero is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar to other posts on this forum I have little idea what life is like in Azerbaidjan (other than what I have been told by a few taxi drivers in Moscow) and they say thats much nicer (and cheaper) than Moscow. I live in Moscow currently and I would expect that you would need to pay at least USD 1500 for anywhere decent and somewhere near the centre.

I've lived there for almost 3 years and the winters can be cold but it hasn't gone below minus 20 since I've been there and that only happend for a week two each year in February.

The cost of living in Moscow is high although transportation is fairly cheap. If you have more questions post them on the thread.....
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
I've lived there for almost 3 years and the winters can be cold but it hasn't gone below minus 20 since I've been there and that only happend for a week two each year in February.
ApproachingZero 3 years ago it was 2 weeks below minus 30-35 C.
And actually this isn`t most coldest winter in History.
The LAST year you was the warmest. So probably you enjoy this.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

ApproachingZero is an unknown quantity at this point

Absoulutely agree with you Vladimir about 2006, but I was only there from early March 2006, when the weather was about minus 15-20 degrees, and since then it hasn't been too cold...... I think with all the global warming its unlikely we'll get another really cold one for a while....... or at least they will be pretty rare......
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:38 am
Just Joined

aze2818 is an unknown quantity at this point

as a native Azeri living more than 15 years in Turkey I would like to say some..
  1. Baku is better for you guys,
  2. Only Baku has diplomatic missions which you will need,
  3. Only Baku has better medical services,
  4. Visit Azerbaijan MFA Consular Section and police whatever your visa is,
  5. Police will issue a temporary resident card,
  6. Many bars and places where English speakers hang around in Baku,
  7. Much cheaper than Moscow,
  8. Police doesnt speak English at all,
  9. Rent and apartment instead of staying at hotel,
  10. Never have an idea of visiting Karabakh region,
  11. Baku has good transportation ( train,subway,buses,taxis ),
  12. Do not buy any food from small shops,
  13. Better idea to use Ramstore s for shopping,buying food,
  14. Never have an idea getting friendly with oppositon groups or parties,
  15. Better have one native guide or friend if you shop outside ( except Ramstore ),

Can say more but the important thing is Azerbajan has a peaceful life...Many different nationalities and religions live in peace there.