Reload this Page >

Looking to setup a Yacht Charter

Looking to setup a Yacht Charter

Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Evencry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to setup a Yacht Charter

Hi peeps.

In a few years (3?) or so the missus and I (with out young daughter) will be looking to setup a small private yacht charter company with a small (43-50ft) yacht.

We are currently researching possible locations (med/crete) but would like somewhere with a year round(ish) season so the obvious choice would be the caribbean.

The BVI sound/look nice, any tips regarding accessability.legal position etc.

Regards
Evencry
Old Jul 21st 2004, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Anybody ?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Nobody with opinions good/bad or any reccomendations at all ???
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:59 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Evencry
Nobody with opinions good/bad or any reccomendations at all ???
doesn't look like it mate

though to put my two cents worth, the med is nice, but how about east coast of south-east asia penisula (thailand/malaysia)... some beautiful places there!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Hello there!

Yes I agree that the far east is truly beautiful however the missus does not like it and I have heard stories (true?) that Piracy can still be in evidence there.

We would settle for crete in a heartbeat, been there several times/different parts but the tourist season is definatley only 6 months.

Which is why we were thinking of the caribbean (not forgetting the hurricanes of course) as it seems be be year round.

Thanks for the reply!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:19 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there!

Yes I agree that the far east is truly beautiful however the missus does not like it and I have heard stories (true?) that Piracy can still be in evidence there.

We would settle for crete in a heartbeat, been there several times/different parts but the tourist season is definatley only 6 months.

Which is why we were thinking of the caribbean (not forgetting the hurricanes of course) as it seems be be year round.

Thanks for the reply!
well... and don't take this as gospel truth... piracy is very much on the extinction list. ok, perhaps the islands in indonesia may get hit, but more to do with smuggling than "Ahoy there" and stealing your boat... That bit of asia is still fairly underdeveloped in terms of tourists although it as you proably know is definitely becoming a bit of hot spot, defintely thailand and this is pushing on through to malaysia. You'll get hit by the monsoon season, but all places seem to have a bad time of year. Like you said the caribbean gets hurricans, and this is every year... you'll get some in south china seas but nothing like to the extent in caribbean i think.

anyway, all that is a bit academic since your missus is not keen...

another thought could be mauritus, ok i admit i've never been but a good friend of mine has relatives from down there with a scuba setup... surely a possible place to set up a boat charter?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

mmmm, mauritus sounds nice will have to do some research.

Looking also at the Canaries, seems to have an all year season.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:27 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

mmmm, mauritus sounds nice will have to do some research.

Looking also at the Canaries, seems to have an all year season.

I know a lot of people that set up in the Caribbean and sail into the Florida Keys or onto the west FL coast to moor up over the short hurricane season. Many of the boats that I am talking about are large enough to land choppers on so you're talking about a decent size...60+ feet.

Irrespective, you'll need to consider an area with enough islands to maintain business, the Caribbean is perfect for that, and with the Panama canal, you can still cater for the more adventure seeking folks on the west coast too.

Plenty of competition though and not many Yanks have that much adventure in mind when itcomes to caribbean vacatuions, most of your business may still come from Europeans!
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Agreed, Carribean is still top of he list, not sure where would be best to have as a base etc.

Type of Yacht we are looking at is a sloop around the 50ft area with 8/10 berths, Something like a Benneteau, Atlantic or Dufour.

One possiblility is that we do not have a "base" as such but just sail around, spending a few weeks here and there.

Only concern is out daughter may need somewhere as a base to feel "rooted".

As yet nothing is ruled in and nothing is ruled out.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:26 am
Invisi... K

Agreed, Carribean is still top of he list, not sure where would be best to have as a base etc.

Type of Yacht we are looking at is a sloop around the 50ft area with 8/10 berths, Something like a Benneteau, Atlantic or Dufour.

One possiblility is that we do not have a "base" as such but just sail around, spending a few weeks here and there.

Only concern is out daughter may need somewhere as a base to feel "rooted".

As yet nothing is ruled in and nothing is ruled out.
well keep us posted, might come down to the caribbean and hire you one day!
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ksct97
well... and don't take this as gospel truth... piracy is very much on the extinction list. ok, perhaps the islands in indonesia may get hit, but more to do with smuggling than "Ahoy there" and stealing your boat...
Academic cos it looks like Asias off the list, but just to pick up on the piracy bit – the south china sea/Malacca straits/Singapore straits are about the hottest piracy area in the world with 300+/-50 attacks annually (last time I saw figures which was a couple of years ago). That’s one reason the UN anti piracy agency is based in Malaysia. Everything from amateurs with machetes to big business with fast launches, automatic weapons, the lot. Don’t actually remember many cases aimed at pleasure craft, - its mainly targeted at merchant tonnage as that’s where the big money is. Every year you see a few cases of whole ships being taken, crews dumped overboard on the nearest island if they’re lucky, murdered if they’re not, and the ship turns up a few months later under new name, new papers, trying to sell its cargo to the highest bidder. Its nasty business.

But like I say, academic if Asia is off the list – though it’s a shame cos I’m sure there’d be demand for it within easy striking distance of Singapore – all those rich expats looking for their next jolly…….did some cruising out there a few years back, and it was pretty good – not as developed as say turkey or Greece, which could be a selling point for some, or a turnoff for others!

Don’t know about the Caribbean – always had a hankering for the BVI’s, but never quite got round to it…..Theres a lot of activity down there, so there’s obviously a market. Just got to make your own niche. On a purely practical point of view, it may be better to operate out of a fixed base so at least the advertising, logistics etc are easier?

Anyway, drop us a line when you get set up in the BVI's - I'll come and do a "shakedown" cruise if you liek - won't even charge you
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:56 am
Invisi... K

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Academic cos it looks like Asias off the list, but just to pick up on the piracy bit – the south china sea/Malacca straits/Singapore straits are about the hottest piracy area in the world with 300+/-50 attacks annually (last time I saw figures which was a couple of years ago). That’s one reason the UN anti piracy agency is based in Malaysia. Everything from amateurs with machetes to big business with fast launches, automatic weapons, the lot. Don’t actually remember many cases aimed at pleasure craft, - its mainly targeted at merchant tonnage as that’s where the big money is. Every year you see a few cases of whole ships being taken, crews dumped overboard on the nearest island if they’re lucky, murdered if they’re not, and the ship turns up a few months later under new name, new papers, trying to sell its cargo to the highest bidder. Its nasty business.

But like I say, academic if Asia is off the list – though it’s a shame cos I’m sure there’d be demand for it within easy striking distance of Singapore – all those rich expats looking for their next jolly…….did some cruising out there a few years back, and it was pretty good – not as developed as say turkey or Greece, which could be a selling point for some, or a turnoff for others!

Don’t know about the Caribbean – always had a hankering for the BVI’s, but never quite got round to it…..Theres a lot of activity down there, so there’s obviously a market. Just got to make your own niche. On a purely practical point of view, it may be better to operate out of a fixed base so at least the advertising, logistics etc are easier?

Anyway, drop us a line when you get set up in the BVI's - I'll come and do a "shakedown" cruise if you liek - won't even charge you
..seems i was wrong, though i still sure the east coast as i mentioned as a place to look at is still fairly pirate free... anyway, the bit you're looking at is allth e way from south china down the west coast, and definetly the isalnds around there and into indonesia. but as siad before, all this is academic

at least i got people talking!
Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Aye that you did! knew that people must have 2p worth on this subject.

So Canaries (EU benefits etc) or the Caribbean. mmm tough choices! Missus does not like the idea of Mauritus unfortunately.

The BVI's, although there are lots of other cruises around there is a reason for it being the number one yacht destination in the world. I believe it is more difficult to setup there though.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:14 pm
Invisi... K

Aye that you did! knew that people must have 2p worth on this subject.

So Canaries (EU benefits etc) or the Caribbean. mmm tough choices! Missus does not like the idea of Mauritus unfortunately.

The BVI's, although there are lots of other cruises around there is a reason for it being the number one yacht destination in the world. I believe it is more difficult to setup there though.
you posted earlier you have a child, how old? maybe better to be in europe for schooling or wotnot... though caribbean will proably ahve good private schools... sorry jsut something to note perhaps
Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

She will be around 5 when we setup, just ready to start school
We decided some time ago that we wanted to move abroad in order to have a better lifestyle than we currently enjoy and are doing our homework now and re-structuring our finances etc to be ready to go. I have told the missus that we will be going before I am 40!

My wife teaches so as far as education for Elizabeth (our daughter) goes it should not be a problem although socially she would miss out if we didb't have a base/regular school etc. This is something we are acutely aware of, this is making us look more to the Canaries.

Here's a thought, we could spend 10 years in the Canaries and then go to the Caribbean when she leaves school!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.