Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

DougB89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and have enjoyed what i have seen. I am currently living in the UK and finding it difficult to enjoy living life here anymore and i am looking for a nice relaxing lifestyle abroad where i can live and work but would like a little advice on where i could possibly go. I don't have any major working experience just normal jobs sorry for the long post that i'm sure you have all seen before Thanks.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

Originally Posted by DougB89
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and have enjoyed what i have seen. I am currently living in the UK and finding it difficult to enjoy living life here anymore and i am looking for a nice relaxing lifestyle abroad where i can live and work but would like a little advice on where i could possibly go. I don't have any major working experience just normal jobs sorry for the long post that i'm sure you have all seen before Thanks.
Not easy, unless you have specific skills. Most tropical paradise locations have a surplus of cheap, local labour. However, I live in Canada and know people who have gone to Mexico to work as an English as a Second Language teacher. Mexico is an emerging economy and quite cultural. Have a look:

www.mexperience.com
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnh009
Not easy, unless you have specific skills. Most tropical paradise locations have a surplus of cheap, local labour. However, I live in Canada and know people who have gone to Mexico to work as an English as a Second Language teacher. Mexico is an emerging economy and quite cultural. Have a look:

www.mexperience.com
Thanks for the reply I'll have a look at Mexico as I am not too fussy about where I go to live a better style of life. I read somewhere that getting the necessary stuff to become a scuba diving instructer might be a good way of doing this does anyone know if this is a good idea?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:06 am
Just Joined

RayM. is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

Hi Doug,

Skills & money are not the only considerations when relocating.
Have you thought how good is your Spanish for Mexico?

Looking for places where expats live hoping to be hired could be a solution for a newcomer, but it's up to you to decide.

If you happen to come to the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, let me know.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RayM.
Hi Doug,

Skills & money are not the only considerations when relocating.
Have you thought how good is your Spanish for Mexico?

Looking for places where expats live hoping to be hired could be a solution for a newcomer, but it's up to you to decide.

If you happen to come to the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, let me know.
Hey RayM, Thanks for the reply as for my Spanish i don't know any, St. Lucia was one of the places i have been looking at. How is it over there? i know theres more to consider than just skills and money but to make it easier i wasn't sure if it was better to try learn a new skill to get a job when i go there. As for money i'm not fussy about getting not as good pay over there compared to the UK as long as i have enough to live that's fine with me.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

@ DougB89

It will be difficult in your case, but you owe to yourself to give it a try.
The marinas need good craftsmen, the construction industry, gardening, handymen, you name it, may work for you.

It is advisable to come down here, visit first, make a few friends, and then return when everything is favorable.
I wish I could give you more hope, but it's you to decide.

You complain about life in UK, but before thinking of leaving your home, perhaps it's a good idea to consider moving to a small town or to countryside over there where life is not as brutal as in big city. Just a thought.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

@ DougB89

It will be difficult in your case, but you owe to yourself to give it a try.
The marinas need good craftsmen, the construction industry, gardening, handymen, you name it, may work for you.

It is advisable to come down here, visit first, make a few friends, and then return when everything is favorable.
I wish I could give you more hope, but it's you to decide.

You complain about life in UK, but before thinking of leaving your home, perhaps it's a good idea to consider moving to a small town or to countryside over there where life is not as brutal as in big city. Just a thought.
Thanks for the comments RayM i currently live in a quiet part of the country and not in a big city so that's not really an issue. I will defo take my time and visit some places as i won't be moving soon, i am going to research everything while saving up to travel and find a suitable island to work towards living and working there.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

That's the way to go about it.

Let me know how you progress.

Rest assured I WILL NOT TRY TO SELL you a house, like somebody accused me on the other forum ...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

les666 is on a distinguished road

That's the way to go about it.

Let me know how you progress.

Rest assured I WILL NOT TRY TO SELL you a house, like somebody accused me on the other forum ...
Sounds like me lol... not accusing you but the conversation was about relocating from Scotland in the UK to the 'Turks and Caicos Islands' not St Lucia or a choice of the two.. and you leave a short statement which says, quote..

I live in St. Lucia. Too much to talk in here...
If you plan a looksee trip, please contact me.

add that to the fact your a new member with very few posts then the alarm bells ring, others have tried this in the past...this is normally to sell/rent property or show them round the island and they will arrange everything!!??.. its a typical expat scam and I apologise here now if I offended an innocent person. I will cover the points raised in the other forum.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

@ les666
its a typical expat scam and I apologise here now if I offended an innocent person.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Les (or maybe Less), you make no sense here. Why would anybody scam a young Brit with no money looking for a little job and new life in a new little country?
Good scammers go after retirees, absentee landlords or property/hotel investors.
Is the situation in TCI so desperate that good scammers turned bad?

@ DougB89

YOU ARE THE JUDGE. Tell us your take on this topic ...

Last edited by RayM.; Jan 24th 2010 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

les666 is on a distinguished road

Les (or maybe Less), you make no sense here. Why would anybody scam a young Brit with no money looking for a little job and new life in a new little country?
Good scammers go after retirees, absentee landlords or property/hotel investors.
Is the situation in TCI so desperate that good scammers turned bad

RayM...grow up, didnt you stop laughing at peoples names when you were about 10?? my point to you is simple, if someone is talking about the TCI, Mexico or anywhere else on other forums dont do what your doing here and elsewhere and jump in offering to show the around St Lucia and help with business matters...(its interesting to see the fact that this has now been edited this out of your post )....business, tax, legal and real estate advice should be given by professionals with qualifications not some unqualified expat.
oh and for your info scammers go after anyone..and I wouldn't know about desperation in the TCI, yes things are hard there for people, same the world over..however I am in the UK doing quite nicely with property in the TCI amongst others but when the time comes we plan to retire there..after all its an ideal base to visit beautiful places like St Lucia..

ok so back on topic..... Doug...John is quite correct its sometimes hard to get work even for professional people, it depends where you go but most places are having a hard time and unless you have a job offer you wont normally get a work permit...even then there is no guarantee as many governments are reserving most of the unskilled jobs for its own workforce..
My only suggestion is consider the tourist industry and apply to companies like Sandals and Beaches for whatever work you are best skilled at ie bar work, gardening, pool maintenance etc.. One of the companies I do business with have just laid off 200 skilled workers, frankly you woud be better off looking at Europe, at least you wouldnt have visa restrictions.

Last edited by les666; Jan 24th 2010 at 5:50 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

I don't really have a take on any of the conversations to do with scams as I'm not planing to rush into anything but thanks for all the comments on topic they have been helpfull and I hope to see some more thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Sam B 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: looking for a more relaxed lifestyle but don't know where

hi Doug,

i live in Gibraltar, many UK expats come here. british with lovely mediterranean food/beaches. its a great place.

have you considered Spain. many places in Spain ar full of English speakers. eg, fuengirolla, benalmadena, banus, chiclana, etc.

Many britains relocate to Gibraltar and Spain in search for the different lifestyle which is much loved by many.

let me know if you want any further info..

S
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sam B 10
hi Doug,

i live in Gibraltar, many UK expats come here. british with lovely mediterranean food/beaches. its a great place.

have you considered Spain. many places in Spain ar full of English speakers. eg, fuengirolla, benalmadena, banus, chiclana, etc.

Many britains relocate to Gibraltar and Spain in search for the different lifestyle which is much loved by many.

let me know if you want any further info..

S
Hi,
Soutern Spain is absolutely more layback than UK, or any other north or central European country. I left Sweden in 2001 and I am still here. I did not know any Spanish then, but I do now. And its not far away, just come here and have a look.

Best regards from a sunny Spain.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

KhunShay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DougB89
Phuket, thailand will be your choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.