Reload this Page >

Living in Mauritius? - any info & advice please

Living in Mauritius? - any info & advice please

Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Sandrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living in Mauritius? - any info & advice please

Hello!
This is the first time I'm posting something here & although I'm not English I hope you can help me
I'm a Swedish/Spanish girl living & working in the cmmunications sector Madrid currently.
I'm doing several job interviews at the moment for an interesting job position in Mauritius.
There seems to be a fairly big possibility that I will be offered the job... and thus I have loads of questions/doubts..
Anyone of you living in Mauritius? or have lived there?
what is everyday life like? any tips/info would be most welcome!
are there many expats in mauritius?

some last questions - the job would be for Starwood Hotels, can anyone recommend it? how are they to work for etc etc? what would be an average expat salary/benefits in this region of the world?

Many thanks in advance!!

// Sandra
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Mauritius? - any info & advice please

Originally Posted by Sandrix
Hello!
This is the first time I'm posting something here & although I'm not English I hope you can help me
I'm a Swedish/Spanish girl living & working in the cmmunications sector Madrid currently.
I'm doing several job interviews at the moment for an interesting job position in Mauritius.
There seems to be a fairly big possibility that I will be offered the job... and thus I have loads of questions/doubts..

some last questions - the job would be for Starwood Hotels, can anyone recommend it? how are they to work for etc etc? what would be an average expat salary/benefits in this region of the world?

Many thanks in advance!!

// Sandra
We got married in Mauritius coco beach hotel..it was fantastic. The hotels are to die for there, but outside the paradise it's different.

Never lived there though, but drove through the island and it seemed abit scruffy! Town centre was OK, but i couldn't live there.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Hello!

Many thanks in advance!!

// Sandra
My very little knowledge of Mauritius as gained from my ex (a Mauritian living in London and was looking to go back as a dive instructor):

1) There's a lot of corruption around as it's a small place and everyone knows everyone
2) It pays to know someone 'on the inside' to help move things along business-wise

Dat's it, for what it's worth.

Good Luck,
Matt
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Hello!

Many thanks in advance!!

// Sandra

Hi Sandra
I assume you've done a lot of reserach on Mauritius.
It is a safe country - don't panic .....
The official language is English but the most spoken language is French.
You should find mor info on
http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/Mainho...dbea5e2b521ca/
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

San108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Well first of all, i would say 'welcome to mauritius' there are obviously issues, but that exist everywhere in the world. the island is at present far better than a lot of well developped countries. All u need to do is to adapt and thats not hard. I have just moved to Mauritius too, and i find it lovely. Starwoods is a big and new hotels. trust me , it will be a great place for you to work. i have actually applied there too. well if u need any info dont hesistate to contact me [email protected] i am living now far from starwood hotels.
best of luck