Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Travelling with 2 UK passports - Advice Req

Travelling with 2 UK passports - Advice Req

Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Jack1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Travelling with 2 UK passports - Advice Req

I recently received my second UK passport to allow for visa applications while I still travel. This however has put me in the position where i have my visas spread over 2 passports. The problem I have is when leaving a country (not UK) I have an entry stamp on one of my passports which needs to be used at immigration when I leave said country. If I am then traveling on to a country where the entry visa is in my other UK passport can I change the passport during the flight legally? I have had difficulty getting this info from the UK embassy in Philippines (where I am resident). Due to this lack of info I recently had to travel Philippines to UK to China rather than fly direct philippines to China as I did not want to risk any problems changing passports on the direct flight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to me and my pocket!

Thanks, Ian.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Tinni1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling with 2 UK passports - Advice Req

Originally Posted by Jack1974
I recently received my second UK passport to allow for visa applications while I still travel. This however has put me in the position where i have my visas spread over 2 passports. The problem I have is when leaving a country (not UK) I have an entry stamp on one of my passports which needs to be used at immigration when I leave said country. If I am then traveling on to a country where the entry visa is in my other UK passport can I change the passport during the flight legally? I have had difficulty getting this info from the UK embassy in Philippines (where I am resident). Due to this lack of info I recently had to travel Philippines to UK to China rather than fly direct philippines to China as I did not want to risk any problems changing passports on the direct flight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to me and my pocket!

Thanks, Ian.
Hi Ian

My husband has this problem as well, except his two passports are from two different countries! He received his British Citizenship two years ago and therefore a British passport while visas are still in his New Zealand passport. He always carries both passports and just hands them both over to the immigration officers and lets them decide which one they need. Hope this is helpful.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:29 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with 2 UK passports - Advice Req

I've done this before - there is technically no issue because a pp is used for immigration purposes. I was caught in HK after landing, staying and going to Macau - I'd mixed up my pps. All they asked was to confirm I had two passports.

Don't try it en route to the USA. As well as immigration, the pp is now used to send info in advance as to who is travelling - in other words it is used for security purposes too. If you check in with one PP and come in with another in USA I understand that they will catch you.
I don't know what they will do.

You must never send a pp by post or courier. I did this in Nigeria and it cost me to retrieve the second one from the spies.

My two pp were calld: 'For Us', and 'Against Us' for practical reasons. Suggest you adopt the same principle.