Reload this Page >

Layover in Honkg Kong Airport for 12 hours Day trips

Layover in Honkg Kong Airport for 12 hours Day trips

Old Oct 31st 2002, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

hkvisit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Layover in Honkg Kong Airport for 12 hours Day trips

Hi all,
I'm having a lyover of aorunfd 12 hours in the hong kong int'l airport on a monday morning in Decemver first week. I'm thinking of leaving my luggage at airport locker and take a day tour and do some shopping. Is this advisable . Can I leave my stuff in the airport? How far is the airport from the city. Which place do u recomend. BTW Does cathay pacific offer any day tours?

Thanks for your replies
Old Nov 1st 2002, 12:30 am
Augustine

Default Smart Move - Around Hong Kong in 8 hours

It is certainly beats waiting at the airport for your next flight. Hong Kong is very small in terms of area. It is absolutely possible to make a short day trip visiting major attractions and the downtown shopping area. Many transit tourists do it. Day tours are readily available. They would pick you up at any Hotel or the Airport and return you to the same place afterwards. Here are some brief info:

Duration: 4/6/8 hours day tours. Cost: US$10-30
i.e. departs 10am returning at 4 pm approx.
Phone the tourdesk of any hotel for guidance.
Tourbus visits to major spots including downtown,
Stanley, Abderdeen floating restaurant, temples,
old towns. Should there be rain, get an assurance from the onboard tour guide that you will be able
to return on time.

You will find all the info you need from:
http://www.wingontravel.com/
http://www.hkta.org
http://www.hkairport.com/

However,a great way to see Hong Kong is just to
take the Airport Citybus to town. Board the airconditioned Airport Bus beside the Airport,
Routes A11 & A12 are best. Take the entire 1 hour trip to the terminus, (lots to see along the way with announcements in English). Get off at the end of the route, wait 15 minutes and then take the same or next bus back to the Airport. Simple. If you still have time try another route at the airport. This is simpler than day tours and suitable for a first time visitor. Don't worry. In the worst scenario, taxis are readily available anywhere and they would happily and safely return you to the airport within an hour for less than US$30/HK$250. Have the equiv of US$100-200 changed to HK$20 notes on arrival.
The Airport Bus website:
http://www.citybus.com.hk/

Should you need further information let me know.

I had excellent guidance and assitance when I last visited UK and would like to thank all those
nice people.

H. Singh.
[email protected]

Old Nov 1st 2002, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

hkvisit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks

Thanks Singh, for taking time to give a detailed email. I really appreciate your help. By the way will do you know of any Indian Restaurants while doing doign the day trip? Please let me know the directions of any.

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2002, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thanks

Just incase you do not feel like going out of the airport when you get there (tired or whatever), the airport is really really big and it would take you hours just to walk around it