islamabad, Pakistan

Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

nomaduk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default islamabad, Pakistan

Okay I know this doesn't sound promising from the thread title but please I'm looking for serious observations or experiences. Please.

I'm born and bred in the uk. I have been married for 5 years and my husband is a Pakistani qualified accountant. We are happily settled except his job prospects here are bleak. Myriad of recession and racism I'd say. I'm a working professional so we cope.
However be has received a job offer from a top accountancy firm based in pakistan. He has been offered the islamabad branch. He really wants me to consider a move there. His family live in a nearby town including his parents too. His life there is comfortable. Nice house, maids and financial security. Living costs are lower. They are middle class by uk standards in Pakistan.
My concern is that I will not get used to the lifestyle difference there. He has already advised me I can live in luxury and not worry about working 12 hours like I do here.
I'm concerned about the safety aspect of living in islamabad even if it's in a gated community
can any one comment on what life is like for middle class families/ women there?

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: islamabad, Pakistan

Has anyone ever seen a forum or website that gives information about emigrating to Pakistan and acquiring Pakistani citizenship ?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I fear it would be a gilded cage given the security situation in Pakistan at the moment especially if (presuming here) you're a white woman.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan

It's not a move I would make without first going there to see what it's like.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:11 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
There is a very large area inside Islamabad called the diplomatic enclave. Look it up on the Internet. It has most of the embassies in it, hence it is very safe. The complex is huge with restaurants and schools and many clubs etc
The British High Commission is in it as well. Very normal to see an expat person just taking a walk or jogging along etc. Like i said, the place is miles and miles long with plenty of greenery and extra security.
There are plenty of very good large apartments available for rent.
The cost of living bit is true, it is very cheap (comparatively) to live the good life with maids etc
BUT
The gilded cage bit can be true as well as the power outages, the traffic, the daily crap in the news, ever increasing radicalism, ever increasing poverty, soaring inflation etc can start to get to you
But having said all that, from what I understand, the way you explained the situation for him in the UK, the move becomes sorta necessary
Another option is to look at jobs in Dubai, I guess.
Hope that helped, feel free to ask for any inputs etc
Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

seasons is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to Pakistan many times, I would not refer to it as a 'gilded cage' and I agree with Irishbeekeeper in that there is a good population of expats...I have a friend working there at the moment and he loves it...his wife would join him permanently if she could.

I understand that there may be some concerns regarding safety at the moment, given the current climate, however, it is not as bad as exaggerated by the media! Islamabad is very modern too so you may not suffer a culture clash as such...

I am not sure of your ethnicity....either way it won't be an issue...

Seasons
Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: islamabad, Pakistan - tourist visa please?

Am based, on contract, in Saudi, but want to visit Pakistan.
Can I get a visa locally, here?
Don't wish to go to UK just for a visa for me, as a UK passport holder.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:55 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can go to the Embassy or the Counsulate in Saudi to apply for a visit visa there.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Is there one in Khobar, Mr Beekeeper?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:25 pm

Don't know mate, have never been there but a quick google search gives their numbers in Riyadh :
Embassy of The Islamic Republic of Pakistan

And this looks like a schedule of a Counsulate team to Khobar on the designated dates :

Embassy of The Islamic Republic of Pakistan

I recommend you call them and find out what documents you will need to bring with you to apply for a visa when you meet them.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Beeman,,,