Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I have a dream - to leave UK...

I have a dream - to leave UK...

Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Tycoon 2 B is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking I have a dream - to leave UK...

... for sunnier climes, better way of life...

We had narrowed it down to...

Dominican Republic

but what do you think?

On our visit last year, it the cost of living seemed higher than we had hoped. Although it ticked all the right boxes, in terms of friendly people, international schools near the beach (we have two kids 4 and 1).

I do love Thailand and Bali - just seems so far away for the inevitable trips back home (to visit grandparents).

Reading this forum it seems Malaysia is opening the door for us Brits...

Basically I would like - tropical weather (t-shirtwearing weather) year round. I would like to live near a beach and maybe invest in some hoiday rentals. I would like the cost of living to be cheap, but the infrastructure not to be too bad.
Minimal taxes, cheap land and labour, schooling for my children (I do not want to home school)...

And the possibility of obtaining residency so I can start investing in property and not be taxed on worldwide income like good old Blighty and the US thinks is a good idea.

Any help/comments appreciated.

My blog with photos of DR is here...

http://www.aglobalblog.blogspot.com

I wrote a review of Amanda Lamb's show that I watched last night on the top twenty places to invest in Europe here

http://getyourlifeback.blogspot.com

Portugal looked tempting - does anyone live there that posts on this board?

Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:45 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I have a dream - to leave UK...

Originally Posted by Tycoon 2 B
... for sunnier climes, better way of life...

We had narrowed it down to...

Dominican Republic

but what do you think?

I think you must be insane!!! sorry but I live in the Grenadines and the LAST place that I would want to go (bar Haiti) is the DR. Ugh horrible place, full of prostitutes and dangerous. We live here with our 2 sons age 3 and 1 and thank god we have such an island paradise - its small, safe and not touristy. LOVE IT!!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by islandmom
I think you must be insane!!! sorry but I live in the Grenadines and the LAST place that I would want to go (bar Haiti) is the DR. Ugh horrible place, full of prostitutes and dangerous. We live here with our 2 sons age 3 and 1 and thank god we have such an island paradise - its small, safe and not touristy. LOVE IT!!
Thanks for your reply. How long have you been there? What is the schooling like?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. How long have you been there? What is the schooling like?

Any info greatly appreciated.
we've been here 2 years now and its the most amazing place for the kids to grow up on. We're on a tiny island so we're actually going to have to move to somewhere bigger for the kids schooling (like St Lucia). There is a kindergarten here which is fine and our oldest goes but further than that its just the local government school and I'd rather eat my shorts than let them go there! very rough, corporal punishment and learning isnt high on the agenda!

Such a shame we have to go as this is as close to paradise as it gets really.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

That's a shame. Hope your move goes well and you get settled quickly. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. My dream is to live somewhere like that but I need good schooling because of the children.

Have heard that Kitts and Nevis are also v. nice?

we've been here 2 years now and its the most amazing place for the kids to grow up on. We're on a tiny island so we're actually going to have to move to somewhere bigger for the kids schooling (like St Lucia). There is a kindergarten here which is fine and our oldest goes but further than that its just the local government school and I'd rather eat my shorts than let them go there! very rough, corporal punishment and learning isnt high on the agenda!

Such a shame we have to go as this is as close to paradise as it gets really.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:09 pm

That's a shame. Hope your move goes well and you get settled quickly. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. My dream is to live somewhere like that but I need good schooling because of the children.

Have heard that Kitts and Nevis are also v. nice?
yes definately! If we could transfer jobs there we would. Our top destinations would have to be:

Anguilla
St Kitts Nevis
Antigua

all those have good schooling and arent too busy like Barbados and St Lucia - both of which are just like Manchester in the sun! neither really gives you the Caribbean experience - you just feel like another tourist.

Good luck - what line of work do you need to find??
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:20 am
Just Joined

We are property investors and hoping to build enough income up to retire early. One of the reasons we were thinking of a bit more touristy island was to maybe have a few holiday flats or villas. But I am sure there are opportunities to be discovered wherever you go.

yes definately! If we could transfer jobs there we would. Our top destinations would have to be:

Anguilla
St Kitts Nevis
Antigua

all those have good schooling and arent too busy like Barbados and St Lucia - both of which are just like Manchester in the sun! neither really gives you the Caribbean experience - you just feel like another tourist.

Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:30 pm

We are property investors and hoping to build enough income up to retire early. One of the reasons we were thinking of a bit more touristy island was to maybe have a few holiday flats or villas. But I am sure there are opportunities to be discovered wherever you go.
yeh - just be careful of overkill. barbados is kinda gone now for investment but St Lucia is really strong as its hosting the cricket world cup in 2007 so if you can get in fast theres deals to be done.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Anguilla
St Kitts Nevis
Antigua

Sorry cant say that I thought very much of St Kitts and Nevis - small islands with a run down city centre and lots of sugar cane plantations - you can get around the island in half a day - would be pretty bored after a week.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by capacity
Sorry cant say that I thought very much of St Kitts and Nevis - small islands with a run down city centre and lots of sugar cane plantations - you can get around the island in half a day - would be pretty bored after a week.
Yeh but remember where I am now!! Population St kitts - 44,000, popualtion Canouan (where I live) 1,100....

so if we're talking boredom and quiet - I am the grandmaster of the experience!!

trust me - when I visit St Kitts its like going to a metropolis!!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Rum_Bo is an unknown quantity at this point

Barbados Property is a good investment at the moment.
there are no huge swings in prices, its either rising or flat, never seen it fall in the last 20 years, if your smart theres good money to be made.
IE: I purchased a 2 storey house on 11,000sq ft of land, in need of TLC in a good area for $150,000.00 US$ - Renovated for $25,000.00 US$ - Sold for 375,000.00 US$.
My wife and I are British, are 2 sons ( 5 & 6 ) were born here, the schools are far far better that the UK - Thats from my Mother In Law who runs a nursery school back in the UK.

PS: I lived in Manchester back in the 80's and Barbados ant nothing like it

Living in Barbados is nothing like being on holiday here, in fact I rarely go to the tourist beaches or bars. its a great lifestyle with lovley people, the politics is very stable, good economy ( Barbados dollar is tied to the US dollar 2/1) you can purchase 99% of the stuff you would get in the UK, litracey rate is 95% ( Higher than the UK ), schools are very very good from kindergarden to Univeristy its all here.

I have travelled to many other Island in the Caribbean and no were is perfect but Barbados is pretty close for me.

Hope it helps.

If you need any more info Email Me:
[email protected]

Phil.

Old May 31st 2006, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rum_Bo

PS: I lived in Manchester back in the 80's and Barbados ant nothing like it

Phil.
LOL! sorry Phil - my generalisation there ! I should say it FULL of mancs rather than being Manchester in the sun!

Funny thing is that with Barbados being THE most UK orientated island in terms of lifestyle, tourism and culture we would have happily gone there to live if offered the opportunity before the Grenadines. Now having lived here its just too much for me - I want more island life than Bbdos can give me and with less tourists!

Dilema is that Bbdos has the best schools/hospitals and quality of living in terms of housing so...

St Lucia is looking like the place for us though - up North by Castries, much quieter than Barbados as the hotels are generally hidden away off private roads etc.. schooling definately getting much better and the reports we've had from recent expats are good.

Have a lot of friends living in Bbdos and visit often - but it gives my poor lazy beach bum head a headache - too much to handle! LOL!

Its horses for courses - everyone wants something a little different, and sounds like we've both found what we want, which is paradise outside the UK!
Old May 31st 2006, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

lol - my daughter lives in manchester - went for visit last year - wife dragged me around the trafford center 80% of the time - I think the sun came out for a few hours, then of course it rained most of the time - ohhhh I love Manchester.

have just prurchased a boat and taking it down to T&T for new Engines, hope to cruise the Grenadines in July - Look out for white 60Ft Power Cat & come over and say Hi.

Phil

LOL! sorry Phil - my generalisation there ! I should say it FULL of mancs rather than being Manchester in the sun!

Funny thing is that with Barbados being THE most UK orientated island in terms of lifestyle, tourism and culture we would have happily gone there to live if offered the opportunity before the Grenadines. Now having lived here its just too much for me - I want more island life than Bbdos can give me and with less tourists!

Dilema is that Bbdos has the best schools/hospitals and quality of living in terms of housing so...

St Lucia is looking like the place for us though - up North by Castries, much quieter than Barbados as the hotels are generally hidden away off private roads etc.. schooling definately getting much better and the reports we've had from recent expats are good.

Have a lot of friends living in Bbdos and visit often - but it gives my poor lazy beach bum head a headache - too much to handle! LOL!

Its horses for courses - everyone wants something a little different, and sounds like we've both found what we want, which is paradise outside the UK!
Old May 31st 2006, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rum_Bo
lol - my daughter lives in manchester - went for visit last year - wife dragged me around the trafford center 80% of the time - I think the sun came out for a few hours, then of course it rained most of the time - ohhhh I love Manchester.

have just prurchased a boat and taking it down to T&T for new Engines, hope to cruise the Grenadines in July - Look out for white 60Ft Power Cat & come over and say Hi.

Phil
well whilst you're cruising the grenadines having a blast we will be enjoying the drizzle in the UK in july! The annual parental pilgrimage to keep people happy - I love seeing everyone but we just feel a little alien these days when in the UK, and cant wait to get back here.
Old May 31st 2006, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Hey have fun - There are 2 great places I can think of in the UK, Manchester & Gatwick airport's departure lounge -

Hope all goes well and when the boat's all fixed up we hope to spend alot of time poping down the grenadines, maybe one time we'll meet up.

Phil.

well whilst you're cruising the grenadines having a blast we will be enjoying the drizzle in the UK in july! The annual parental pilgrimage to keep people happy - I love seeing everyone but we just feel a little alien these days when in the UK, and cant wait to get back here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.