Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by bermudaby
We lived in Belize long before it was a tourist destination which I believe it is these days.... They have quite high levels of crime and a big drug problem. Very laid back though, if that's what you want. Hot, humid, lots of mosquitoes... I would also recommend a long visit before deciding!
Interesting note about Belize, but I understand residency is not granted with just a British passport, (please correct me if I am wrong)

They used to have a fantastic retiree residency program, but the government has changed and they are trying to "crack down" on free residency admission for rich retired folks. (I think it was easy if you had $35,000 invested in the country and could show $2000 per month in pension income, then they would gratefully open the residency door and say.... "Come on down!")

I think there are plans to change these lax entry requirements...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Malta has the lot...driving distance to all points Eu, sea all round, no crime
reasonable, plenty of Brits, English spoken, great history and architecture, all mod cons ..be great for your Dad..check it out!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_citizen

Very informative, thanks, :-)

I just got this in the e-mail today as spam:
(interesting, make of it what you will, it's US centric to help Americans escape to the Dutch West Indies)

The Sovereign Society Offshore A-Letter
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Backdoor to an EU Passport
Opens wider for Americans

By Mark Nestmann
Dear Tim,

What might you have in common with the notorious spy Phillip Agee (named by President George H.W. Bush as being responsible for the death of at least one CIA agent)?

The surprising answer: Both of you can rely on the "Treaty of Friendship, Commerce and Navigation between the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the United States of America."

If you're a U.S. citizen, the treaty means you have the same right to reside in the Dutch territories in the Caribbean as a European Dutch citizen (A European Dutch citizen is someone born or naturalized in the Netherlands, not in the Dutch Caribbean territories.).

Let me explain…

In 1956, the USA and the Netherlands signed a Treaty of Friendship, giving citizens and businesses in each country reciprocal rights in both countries. Basically, the idea was to encourage economic and cultural relations between the USA and the Netherlands and its territories.

Two decades later, ex-CIA agent Agee published Inside the Company: CIA Diary. Most controversial was the book's appendix, which listed the names of more than 250 CIA operatives. The book also listed the names of British intelligence operatives, and that eventually led to Agee's expulsion from the United Kingdom. In 1977, he fled to the Netherlands.

Once in the Netherlands, Agee continued to fight deportation to the USA. He discovered that since he was a U.S. citizen, he could use the Treaty of Friendship to demand a hearing before the Dutch equivalent of a U.S. immigration court. But ultimately, the Netherlands deported Agee, and later, the USA stripped him of his U.S. passport.

Some of the treaty's provisions no longer apply to the Netherlands itself. However, it still applies to the Dutch territories.

Now, a court has confirmed that the Treaty of Friendship guarantees U.S. citizens the same rights as European Dutch citizens in the Dutch Caribbean territories. European Dutch citizens may stay for six months at a time in the Dutch Caribbean territories without applying for a residence permit. The court declared that U.S. citizens ought to have the same entitlement.

This is an important development if you're a U.S. citizen interested in acquiring a Dutch passport…

Based on this court decision, your application for residence in the Dutch Caribbean territories must be treated the same way one from a European Dutch applicant would be treated, with the same rights to appeal an adverse decision. You still must demonstrate good character and a clean criminal record, but the process is somewhat less cumbersome than if you don't have U.S. or Dutch nationality. And, after five years of continuous legal residence, good conduct and integration into the community, you're eligible to apply for a Dutch passport.

With a Dutch passport, you have visa-free access to more than 150 countries including Canada, Mexico, and the USA. You can also live or work anywhere in the EU. And unless you choose to live in the Netherlands, you won't be subject to Dutch taxes. For U.S. citizens or long-term residence considering expatriation, a Dutch passport provides a first-class alternative travel document that can be used virtually anywhere in the world.

The Nestmann Group, Ltd. can assist you in lodging your application for residence in one of the Dutch Caribbean territories. For more information, contact us at [email protected].
Sincerely,

Mark Nestmann

Wealth Preservation & Privacy Editor

P.S. The government of the Netherlands Antilles is appealing this decision, so this interpretation of the Treaty of Friendship may eventually be overturned. If you're a U.S. citizenship considering residence in the Dutch Caribbean territories, now may be your best opportunity to apply.
Originally Posted by aidanx
wow 9 pages! good goin people! thanks for all the info.

i have been trying to find a concise list of countries that i can live in as a british citizen, especially somewhere that i can have *complete* citizen*s rights based on my british citizenship.

basically, i want to buy some land somewhere remote, sunny, and cheap. you know, the dream

although a lot of these places have been listed in this forum already, i thought i would contribute this list i have gathered.

the first list is of commonwealth countries.
you all probably know that British citizens are Commonwealth citizens.
commonwealth does mean *something* but the meaning is a little vague, and is more of a peaceful intention than a solid agreement, and the rules vary between countries.
wikipedia says:
** Each country is free to determine what special rights, if any, are accorded to non-nationals who are Commonwealth citizens. **
so, it does not neccacarily mean you can live there, and it doesnt mean that there isnt any paperwork involved. (as a brit who has moved to canada, i know first hand that there were lots of hoops to jump through).
BUT... i was thinking (please correct me if im wrong) that emigrating to a commonwealth country would usually be easier than a non-commonwealth country.

anyway, here is the list of commonwealth countries:

COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES
Barbuda Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Zambia
for more info on this list, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lth_of_Nations

but the next list is more interesting, because it is more based on actual rules.
The following *Commonwealth countries allow Commonwealth citizens voting and eligibility rights at all levels*:

COMMONWEALTH with CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS LIST
Antigua and Barbuda,
Barbados,
Belize,
Dominica,
Grenada,
Guyana,
Jamaica,
Malawi (all foreign residents, not only Commonwealth citizens),
Mauritius,
Namibia (all foreign residents, not only Commonwealth citizens),
New Zealand (all foreign residents, before 1975 only Commonwealth citizens),
Saint Kitts and Nevis,
Saint Lucia,
Saint Vincent
Grenadines.
i got this info from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_citizen

The next list i made is based on the chart on wikipedia that refers to where you can go with a british passport which can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_passport
a visa is : *an indication that a person is authorized to enter the country which "issued" the visa, subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry*
im not sure if *visa free access* means anything as far as moving to a country. i think it just means that you dont need a visa to visit the country.
anyway this is a list of countries that you can go to with a british passport without a visa.

VISA FREE ACCESS
reunion (island east of africa)
saint-helena (island in south atlantic)
falkland islands
Jamaica
trinidad and tobago
guernsey
kiribati

The next list is based on the same chart about british passports on wikipedia.
i assume that *unlimited access* means that you can live there. i think this will be my main reference list when looking for a place. although i guess it would be wise to find out with each country what *unlimited access* means for each place before i go and buy something there.

UNLIMITED ACCESS
French Guiana
guadaloupe
martinique
eu:---------(
austria
belgium
bulgaria
cyprus
czeck republic
denmark
estonia
finland
france
germany
gibraltar (who have the right to abode in the UK)
greece
hungary
ireland
italy
latvia
lithuania
luxembourg
malta
netherlands
portugal
romania
slovakia
slovenia
spain
sweeden
uk
)---------e.u
iceland
isle of man (live: unlimited access, work permit required)
jersey
norway
switzerland

Sorry that i took up so much space, but i wanted to share this. hope it is helpful. Id appreciate any feedback, especially if i have gotten something wrong.

i have made a seperate thread on this site especially for these lists which i will add this to. i think its called *where can i live with british citizenship?* in the *everywhere else* forum. i encourage people to copy and paste it on that thread, if they have something to add so that the list can keep growing and distilling as a continually updated reference.

CHEERS!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

As an EU citizen I think you can also live on New Caledonia as I think its French territory ,looks amazing .
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:58 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Go and live in Scotland.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
As an EU citizen I think you can also live on New Caledonia as I think its French territory ,looks amazing .
No, you can’t.

New Caledonia has a unique status between that of an independent country and a normal overseas department of France.

New Caledonia is an “Overseas Collectivity of France” and while it is part of France, it is not part of the European Union (same as French Polynesia).

While all New Caledonians are French Citizens with full French/EU passports (and can live and work in the EU like every other French Citizen). It doesn’t work the other way around, EU Citizens can’t just go and live and work in New Caledonia, simply because it isn’t part of the EU.

It’s similar to how Greenland is part of Denmark and all Greenlanders are actually Danish Citizens, with full Danish/EU passports and free to move like other EU citizens, but EU Citizens can’t just move to Greenland (as it’s not part of the EU).

It’s a weird situation; some French Territories are fully part of the EU, such as French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion
Old May 9th 2010, 7:54 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Kuwait is nice.
Old May 28th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
No, you can’t.

New Caledonia has a unique status between that of an independent country and a normal overseas department of France.

New Caledonia is an “Overseas Collectivity of France” and while it is part of France, it is not part of the European Union (same as French Polynesia).

While all New Caledonians are French Citizens with full French/EU passports (and can live and work in the EU like every other French Citizen). It doesn’t work the other way around, EU Citizens can’t just go and live and work in New Caledonia, simply because it isn’t part of the EU.

It’s similar to how Greenland is part of Denmark and all Greenlanders are actually Danish Citizens, with full Danish/EU passports and free to move like other EU citizens, but EU Citizens can’t just move to Greenland (as it’s not part of the EU).

It’s a weird situation; some French Territories are fully part of the EU, such as French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion
There are ways around this.
Pig sick of France, the wife and I are thinking about New Caledonia. She's French, and can be transferred over there with her job. As regards to me I have a 10 year Carte de Sejour which will also allow me in. The CDS is about to expire so I'll have to renew it which is something I wouldn't have done if we hadn't thought of going to NC.
All you need is a long stay residence permit for France (grated the first one they give you may not be valid 10 years, but from then on its easy to renew) and you'll be allowed to stay in NC. So, in short, the easiest way into NC is to first set yourself up temporarily in France.
Old May 28th 2010, 2:29 pm
Banned

Try England.
Old May 28th 2010, 2:34 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Try England.
I like it...
Old May 30th 2010, 8:59 am
Just Joined

ndyte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfintrot
Try Malaysia
Malaysia my second home is a govt programme that encourages foriegners to come and live here.. only draw back u need monthly income from ur overseas sources.
Great weather, great food, nice people and we speak manglish(u will understand the malay english mix)
When you say monthly income from overseas do you know how much?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by akatomw

I just got this in the e-mail today as spam:
(interesting, make of it what you will, it's US centric to help Americans escape to the Dutch West Indies)
Not for long. Netherlands Antilles is going to be dissolved/reconstituted and hence a whole new different ballgame.

What worries me is Sint Maarten. It is currently half french and half dutch. It will become independent country under the Kingdom of Netherland.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Neptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura about

Here is an interesting summary about the status of Special EU Member state territories:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...European_Union

BTW, Mayotte will become a full part of France and the EU in 2011:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE52S1UQ20090329

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:50pm EDT

PARIS (Reuters) - Voters on Mayotte, a tiny island in the Indian Ocean, chose by referendum Sunday to become a fully fledged part of France -- a change of status that will end local traditions such as polygamy and Islamic courts.

Authorities said 95.2 percent of those who voted opted to turn Mayotte into a "departement," strengthening ties with Paris and requiring the island to align itself with French law. Only 4.8 percent voted no. Participation was 61 percent.

Mayotte, 400 km (250 miles) east of Mozambique and 300 km west of Madagascar, is in the Comoros archipelago but voted against independence in referendums in 1974 and 1976.

Instead it stayed French, with a status allowing legal differences from the mainland.

It has a population of about 186,000 people, of whom 95 percent are Sunni Muslims. Many do not speak French and a third of the population are illegal migrants, mostly from the nearby islands which make up the independent Comoran state.

"This will reinforce the place of Mayotte in the republic, reaffirming our founding values, particularly equality between men and women, the same justice for all, and the place of the French language," said Interior Minister Michele Alliot-Marie.

Many islanders were keen to boost ties with mainland France, which have kept Mayotte richer and more stable than the Comoros.

"We may be black, poor and Muslim, but we have been French longer than Nice," Abdoulatifou Aly, a legislator from Mayotte, was quoted as saying in the French weekly L'Express.

President Nicolas Sarkozy had promised a referendum during his 2007 campaign. After Sunday's vote, the island is on track to become France's 101st departement in 2011.

The referendum follows unrest in another French overseas departement, the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, which was rocked by a general strike for pay rises in February and March.

That suggests that becoming a departement will be no panacea for Mayotte, where unemployment runs at more than 25 percent.

The islanders stand to gain economically from the change of status, as they will become eligible for a wider range of social benefits as well as EU funds. Paris has also promised an economic development fund to boost the island's infrastructure.

However, residents will see their tax bills increase and have to abandon certain customs to conform to French law.

For now, men can have several wives whom they can repudiate unilaterally, and women do not have equal inheritance rights. The island has a traditional Islamic justice system with "qadis" or religious scholars who act as judges.

Mayotte will have to ban polygamy, raise the minimum age of marriage to 18 from 15 years old, and give women equal rights.

The Islamic justice system will be replaced by secular courts, though qadis will retain a consultative role.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:01 pm
Banned

Try Outer Space.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:19 am
Banned

Location: Born in Timaru grew in the Philippines and now working in Japan
clydewylde is an unknown quantity at this point

Singapore, cool weather, low crime-rate, 90% of the population speaks English, but lifestyle is expensive. It's an open country, you can pay a visit anytime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.