Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

This old thread has some old answers:

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup...tml?1137352025

that thread is specific to Bonaire and taxes

This is a newer thread:

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup...tml?1217090519

it is about the Relationship to the EU which is still undetermined.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:29 am
Just Joined

aidanx is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone else know about the commonwealth, and if we can live there with easier paperwork? or do you think im barking up the wrong tree.

in the meantime, here are some more lists, with more questions attatched...

here are some islands i found on the atlas with *UK* in brackets after their name.
does anyone know what this means exactly?
does it mean that we can live there as british citizens with the same rights as in britain?
are they actually considered to be *same country* and therfore in the EU aswell?

Saint Helena
Tristan da Cunha
Assension
Gough Island
South Georgia
South Orkney Islands
Falkland Islands
british indian ocean territory
anguilla
Cayman Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands
Pitcairn
bermuda
gibraltar

and if they are part of the same country and therefore the EU, here are the ones with other EU countries appended to their names on my atlas.
Bouvet Island (norway)
jan mayen (norway)
faroe islands (denmark)
azores (portugal)
madeira islands (portugal)
macau (portugal)
canary islands (spain)
new caledonia (france)
Crozet Islands (france)
Kerguelen Islands (France)
St. Paul Island (France)
Amsterdam Island (France)
guadaloupe (france)
french giuana (france)
french polynesia
w&f (?) (france)
lle cliperton (france)

any feedback appreciated
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

thanks akatomw (by the way) and...
i missed a couple:

svalbard (denmark)
greenland (denmark)
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Honeybeez is an unknown quantity at this point

Great list :-)
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

thanks ;-)
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:05 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Don
As an EU citizen, you can live in overseas French departments without a visa:.

Does that include Quebec?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:51 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
Does that include Quebec?
Very much a mission impossible that one.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:59 am
Just Joined

found out some information about the british overseas territrories.

i quote wikipedia:- *While citizens of all the Overseas Territories (except the Sovereign Base Areas) now have the right of abode in the UK, this is not reciprocal, as UK citizens visiting Overseas Territories are subject to local immigration controls, and require residence or work permits.*

oh bother!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

OK
Once again I would like to suggest the British Oversea's Territories are not the place for "free" entry or "where can I move to without all the paper work"....
:-)

I think one should focus on what is an EU territory or country (somewhere warm, there are a few under France and The Dutch still in the Caribbean for instance):

Quote:Overview: The European Union (EU) consists of 27 individual countries, which entitles all citizens to live, travel and work in the country of their choice. Citizens can freely travel, work, retire, or just vacate without any problems in any EU country. The European Union provides individuals and families with choices that other individual countries around the world cannot offer. The "Single Market" that was created in 1993 states that people, money, services, and good can move freely within the European Union. Currently over 450 million EU citizens are provided with these options.

Opportunities: The 27 EU countries have different immigration programs in terms of foreign work programs, ways to obtain citizenship, unemployment rates, inheritance of citizenship, and other official immigration programs which allows individuals to live in one or several EU countries. Some immigration programs can end with a citizenship while other programs are time limited and related to work or tourism. The advantage of citizenship in an EU country is that the laws and regulations of the EU is applicable to any country that you decide to live and work in.

EU Citizenship: The Treaty of Maastricht states that

Every person holding the nationality of a Member State of the European Union is, as a result, a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union supplements national citizenship without replacing it. It is made up of a set of fundamental rights and obligations enshrined in the EC Treaty among which it is worth underlining the right not to be discriminated on the basis of the nationality.

This means that an individual who becomes a citizen of any EU country automatically is granted EU citizenship. EU citizenship is not a separate "national" citizenship, but is related to the individual's rights in any of the 27 EU countries. For example, a citizen of Poland has the right to move to Spain and work/retire legally.

Citizenship vs. Residency: There is a fundamental difference between becoming a citizen and a resident of any EU country. Citizenship is normally obtained through birth, marriage, long-term residency and family relations. Only citizens can obtain a passport. A resident with the legal right to live and work in an EU country holds a foreign citizenship and passport. However, different countries have different rules and regulations for how long an individual can be a resident before it is possible to apply for citizenship. A resident that gets married to a citizen can apply for citizenship. Dealing with foreign governments in a different language is not always easy, which is why our "EU Immigration Guide" provides you with simple and plain information in English.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, would you please cite your quotes (include the link they came from) so we're not stealing someone else's writing, and to verify info if readers want to.
You can also use the format buttons to put text in italics, or with a quote box around them. This makes is easier to see what it your quoted text and what it is that you yourself is saying.

Thanks for your participation!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

thanks of the reminder I should have done it correctly when I posted it.

The post above (without the link or reference about EU residency and citizen ship) is from this web site:

Sorry, it was quoted on Page 9:

This is a handy web site for EU residency and Citizenship issues:

http://www.euimmigration.org/

I would like to edit the offending post above but I don't know if I can or how to edit my comment. (I guess there is a time limit)

Last edited by akatomw; Feb 18th 2009 at 5:24 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably timed out; you get a certain time to edit, so don't worry about it.

Do be careful everyone, with immigration agencies & unofficial sites. Certifications vary by country and speaking just for US immigration, 90% of them are money-stealing scam crap holes.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

YES

Watch for unofficial sites.

I found this one informative, but it is NOT an official web site:

http://www.euimmigration.org/

Informative yes, but they are selling a service I think, so due caution should of course be exercised.

WIKI (also NOT official) has this to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen...European_Union

Article 18, the Right of Free Movement is the one you might want to focus on:

Article 17 (1) of the amended Treaties of Rome[11] states that
Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union shall complement and not replace national citizenship.

All nationals of Member States are citizens of the union. "It is for each Member State, having due regard to Community law, to lay down the conditions for the acquisition and loss of nationality." [12]
[edit]Rights of EU citizens

[edit]Specific rights

EU member states use a common passport design, burgundy coloured with the name of the member state, Coat of Arms and the title "European Union" (or its translation).
The amended EC Treaty[11] provides the following rights to EU citizens:
a right not to be discriminated against on grounds of nationality within the scope of application of the Treaty (Article 12);
the right of free movement and residence throughout the Union and the right to apply to work in any position (including national civil services with the exception of a wide range, but varying with each member country, of sensitive positions) (Article 18);
the right to vote and the right to stand in local and European elections in any Member State, other than the citizen's own, under the same conditions as the nationals of that state (Article 19);
the right to protection by the diplomatic or consular authorities of other Member States when in a non-EU Member State, if there are no diplomatic or consular authorities from the citizen's own state (Article 20);
the right to petition the European Parliament and the right to apply to the European Ombudsman in order to bring to his attention any cases of poor administration by the Community institutions and bodies, with the exception of the legal bodies (Article 21)[13];
the right to apply to the Community institutions in one of the official languages and to receive a reply in that same language (Article 21); and
a right of access to European Parliament, Council and Commission documents (Article 255).
The right to residence for nationals of the two most recent EU members (Romania and Bulgaria) may be limited by member states. However, such limitations can only be imposed in the seven years following those countries' accession, i.e. until the end of 2013. At the year 2013 the restrictions by the particular EU Member States are lifted permanently

[edit]Article 18 Free Movement Rights

Article 18 (1) of the amended Treaties of Rome[11] states that
Every citizen of the Union shall have the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States, subject to the limitations and conditions laid down in this Treaty and by the measures adopted to give it effect.

The European Court of Justice has remarked that,
EU Citizenship is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States, [14]

but this appears to be still far from the case (in most European countries court work is strictly reserved for nationals of the country in question).
The ECJ has held that this Article confers a directly effective right upon citizens to reside in another Member State.[14][15] Before the case of Baumbast[15], it was widely assumed that non-economically active citizens had no rights to residence deriving directly from the EC Treaty, only from directives created under the Treaty. In Baumbast, however, the ECJ held that Article 18 of the Treaty granted a generally applicable right to residency, which is limited by secondary legislation, but only where that secondary legislation is proportionate.[16] Member States can distinguish between nationals and Union citizens but only if the provisions satisfy the test of proportionality.[17] Migrant EU citizens have a "legitimate expectation of a limited degree of financial solidarity... having regard to their degree of integration into the host society"[18] Length of time is a particularly important factor when considering the degree of integration.
The ECJ's case law on citizenship has been criticised for subjecting an increasing number of national rules of the proportionality assessment[17]
[edit]
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

aze2818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Fethiye ( Mugla Proince Turkey )

almost half of province population is English speaking.Many foreigners leave there.Warm climate and touristic place.Coming to the forms..you only need a resident status ( the bluebook ) and thats all.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

mattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nice

Originally Posted by alkristensen
hi

i am in the process of applying to live in australia, but will probably fail on the fact that i have 2 drink driving convictions, so does anyone know of an english speaking place in the world that is warm and by the ocean where you dont need a visa or at least all the bloody checks to live(unlike america and australia), I dont care if its an island or a continent, and have heard of a SAINT something or other that is half french halfr brit where you just need a brit passport and a few other bits and bats to gain residency or at least work and live.
Its in the caribbean somewhere, but i cant remember what it6s called if anyone knows it would be a great help.

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk

any names or help wouold be mjuch appreciated after i have spent nearly 4 grand on maybe failiong trhe oz visa.

alk
Cape verde islands .... dont bother with oz way overrated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.