Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe somewhere that they don't have cars, so you don't DD again!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 2:42 am
Just Joined

islandgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

St. Maartin is half french and half dutch. There is the British Virgin islands...but I recommend St. Barth's. It meet all of your requirements, but I have to say, it is kinda spendy!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Gibralter is all I can think of.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 2:22 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Gibralter is all I can think of.
doesn't gibralter have the densest pub to land area in the world? maybe not so great for a twice convicted DD offender!... then agian you don't have to drive do you?
Old Jul 30th 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by ksct97
doesn't gibralter have the densest pub to land area in the world? maybe not so great for a twice convicted DD offender!... then agian you don't have to drive do you?
It's the only place I can think of that meets all four criteria and has no immigration requirements for UKCs.

Personally I wouldn't want to live there because I think it's a dump.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 10:03 am
diegomaradonna

it looks like itll be the french side of st maartens then as if you are member of eec you can work and live no probs.......

as far as the DD i was asleep in the back of a car after losing my keys to get in the house with no joy of waking anyone, was cold so started engine to get warm

the other was for parking my car in a different spot in a car park under a light to leave it there overnight mioving it about 10 yards....... so im hardly Oliver Reed!!!

Just CUMBRIA police have nowt better to do, even though ulverston and barrow have more heroin addicts per head per capita than the rest of the country??!!

Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:52 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally posted by alkristensen
hi

i am in the process of applying to live in australia, but will probably fail on the fact that i have 2 drink driving convictions, so does anyone know of an english speaking place in the world that is warm and by the ocean where you dont need a visa or at least all the bloody checks to live(unlike america and australia), I dont care if its an island or a continent, and have heard of a SAINT something or other that is half french halfr brit where you just need a brit passport and a few other bits and bats to gain residency or at least work and live.
Its in the caribbean somewhere, but i cant remember what it6s called if anyone knows it would be a great help.

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk

any names or help wouold be mjuch appreciated after i have spent nearly 4 grand on maybe failiong trhe oz visa.

alk
Gib
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:00 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by The Don
Gib
isn't it difficult to find a job in Gib?
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
isn't it difficult to find a job in Gib?
I woulda thought so, I mean, lets be honest not exactly a huge place is it.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:42 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by manc1976
I woulda thought so, I mean, lets be honest not exactly a huge place is it.
and surely you'll need to speak at least a basic spanish?
Old Aug 6th 2004, 6:47 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
and surely you'll need to speak at least a basic spanish?
Spanish is easy
Old Aug 8th 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

I was reading about Belize a while back. Whereas most other countries seem to want you to apply for permanent residency before arrival and make you jump through every hoop they can think of in the process, it seems that in Belize you have to live there a year or so before you can become a permanent resident. Apparently you renew your status on a monthly basis until you've been there a year, then you can apply to become a permanent resident.

It sounds a rather sensible system to me, and I suppose their logic is that if you've managed to support yourself for a year, you'll be all right. That and the cheap housing seem to be the main plus points. On the downside, a lot of people have commented about the poor infrastructure, power outages, bad-to-non-existent public services etc. It comes across as the sort of place where one has to be self-reliant. I've never been there, so I wouldn't know.

Very much closer to home, there's always the Republic of Ireland. I know it doesn't exactly qualify on the climate criterion, but it's attractive in some other ways. There are no immigration restrictions whatsoever for British citizens -- You don't even need a passport. Real estate has gotten pricey, but there is no equivalent of council-tax, and property taxes apply only if you're living in a very expensive house and have a high income. If you have income derived from outside the country, you pay income tax only on any portion you remit to Ireland.

My experience of Ireland is that it's similar enough to England that you feel comfortably at home, yet different enough that you know you're in another country.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 3:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Very much closer to home, there's always the Republic of Ireland. I know it doesn't exactly qualify on the climate criterion, but it's attractive in some other ways. There are no immigration restrictions whatsoever for British citizens -- You don't even need a passport. Real estate has gotten pricey, but there is no equivalent of council-tax, and property taxes apply only if you're living in a very expensive house and have a high income.
I would say that traffic congestion and commuting there (especially in Dublin) is awful, and if you move there looking for a slower pace of life you may be disappointed. The general cost of living is also reasonably high.

If you have income derived from outside the country, you pay income tax only on any portion you remit to Ireland.

Although income from the UK is taxable directly, as far as I'm aware.
It would be worth checking if these tax rules still exist as they may have changed in recent years.

If you take Irish citizenship (after 5 years residence) then the Irish Revenue may well take a view you're domiciled there and impose tax on worldwide income.

Although there's no strong reason for British citizens resident in Ireland to take Irish citizenship unless they really want to. Children born there will be Irish citizens automatically (the changes coming up to the automatic citizenship by birth rule in Ireland will not affect children born to British citizens).

My experience of Ireland is that it's similar enough to England that you feel comfortably at home, yet different enough that you know you're in another country.
Northern Ireland offers a different option, within the United Kingdom.

The Isle of Man (a Crown Dependency, not part of the UK) may also be worth a look. Favourable tax code, and full British citizenship, but does have some local immigration controls.
http://www.gov.im

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 8th 2004 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
I would say that traffic congestion and commuting there (especially in Dublin) is awful, and if you move there looking for a slower pace of life you may be disappointed. The general cost of living is also reasonably high.
I've been hearing about increased congestion and a rapidly rising cost of living. I haven't been to Ireland since 1998, so I have no experience of how things have been going since the change to the euro.

Although income from the UK is taxable directly, as far as I'm aware.
It would be worth checking if these tax rules still exist as they may have changed in recent years.
Again, it's a few years since I checked. I just had a quick search on the Irish Revenue website and it does appear as though UK income is classed with Irish income for tax purposes. I know I looked at the tax position quite favorably as a good portion of my income is from the U.S. and by just keeping it in my U.S. account I could have avoided Irish income tax on it.

If you take Irish citizenship (after 5 years residence) then the Irish Revenue may well take a view you're domiciled there and impose tax on worldwide income.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that becoming an Irish citizen would lead to that conclusion, but as you say, there's no particular reason for anyone with a UK passport to take Irish citizenship.

Irish Revenue website is at www.revenue.ie

There's also the Oasis site which has links to all sorts of info on the Irish Republic: www.oasis.gov.ie

Last edited by PBC_1966; Aug 9th 2004 at 1:52 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Yep, I'm pretty sure that becoming an Irish citizen would lead to that conclusion, but as you say, there's no particular reason for anyone with a UK passport to take Irish citizenship.
One group of British citizens who might have a reason are those who are British *by descent* where it can be difficult to pass on British citizenship to a non-UK born child. Especially so where the spouse is not a British citizen born or naturalised in the UK.

If a British citizen by descent also becomes a naturalised Irish citizen, a child born subsequently to that person in the US or elsewhere outside the UK/Ireland could be registered as an Irish citizen by descent even though British citizenship by descent might not be possible (depending on circumstances).

And with an Irish passport that child could freely live in the UK and eventually become a naturalised British citizen.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 9th 2004 at 11:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.