Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:40 am   #16
Knight Templar
 
tomarense's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,115
tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Ignore the naysayers - they're all old and scared, worrying about their pensions and their gallbladders - take the $125K windfall and head south with your backpack for 6 months, find whichever place you decide you'd like to live in, check out the residency rules, find a locals-priced pad with 3/4 of the cash and use the rest to live on for a while.

Something will come along afterwards, either a job or other opportunities. Even if you end up heading back to the US in a few years time, you have had some adventure and still have pad to play with.
You're as daft as me, but you're right.

Late 20s, qualified, languages; where's the problem?

I would have done it, but I got married and had to wait until I was in my 40s to do it.

Just been notified of your comment, Dan. It has some merit.

Go for it kiddo!!!!!
__________________
life's a bitch...then you marry one!
tomarense is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:15 am   #17
BE Enthusiast
 
Foxy_fromCanada's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hastings, Barbados
Posts: 696
Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
I wouldn't piss my money away on a piece of property that I can't sell or rent when it comes time to move on.
Just out of curiosity, why do you believe a property wouldn't sell or rent later on?

Thanks,
F
Foxy_fromCanada is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:57 pm   #18
Dan725 
BE Forum Addict
 
Dan725's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,309
Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do you believe a property wouldn't sell or rent later on?

Thanks,
F
It probably would....at some point. "At some point" being the key part of that sentence - this guy is a single 26 year old with no ties and can come and go as he pleases. Waiting around for a property to sell wouldn't be desirable.

Last thing I'd want to do with 3/4 of my $125k would be to tie it up in the middle of a global recession in some near third world property market. Also depending on where he might buy (C or S America), there's always the chance of political instability and losing the lot. Not the best idea I don't think.

Im not against buying property in a more stable environment....but his $125k won't get very far.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 30th 2009 at 3:00 pm.
Dan725 is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:30 pm   #19
BE Enthusiast
 
Foxy_fromCanada's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hastings, Barbados
Posts: 696
Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Ah, I see. So one could buy a property and due to the political climate, lose it.

Perhaps, theusucks, you would be wiser to invest that money in a lucrative business (or rental properties - housing is cheap right now) in the U.S., then use the profits to travel to places more desirable to you - and spend large amounts of time there.

That way, you aren't just spending your inheritance; you're investing it in such a way that you'll benefit.

Good luck.
F
Foxy_fromCanada is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:25 am   #20
MattOR 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 49
MattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to allMattOR is a name known to all
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusucks View Post
I'm 27 years old guy, a nurse, and very sick of living in the US. I have $125,000 USD which I received from a will. I'm looking for the poorest (yet stable/safe?) counties where that money would sustain me for the rest of my life in that country. I'm completely fluent in english, spanish, and french. I'd be willing to work as a nurse if I needed to.

I just don't like the idea that in the USA you work like a dog to live like one. I don't want to spend my whole life working nonstop and not being able to retire in comfort. The "american dream" is a complete illusion unless you're the top 2% in this country.

I know that in Latin america I could find a beautiful apartment for $200-400 a month. Why should I continue living in the US?
Go for it. No kids, no mortgage, what have you got to loose? Similar thing happened to my wife and I at about the same age. We were both in jobs we detested so after coming into an unexpected windfall we quickly packed our bags and headed off to live in India for three years. I would have happily stayed there but my wife wanted to return home to pursue her art, and at a deeper level I missed my work (if not my job). Even if I never go back the experiences and memories will last a lifetime. India is poor but it proved that you don't need much to be happy.

Now after five years back in the US, with a mortgage, possessions, career, etc. I sometimes wonder what the hell I am doing. When I remember walking among the Himalayas or lounging in a hammock by the Arabian Sea with nothing more than a book and handful of clothes in a tatty old backpack I sometimes think we were mad to have come back here. The memories are more bitter sweet knowing that it will be a very long time before I can experience that again thanks to the unremitting demands of corporate USA. Still, I count myself very lucky to have been able to do that and it changed my life for the better.
MattOR is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:55 am   #21
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 146
Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusucks View Post
I'm 27 years old guy, a nurse, and very sick of living in the US. I have $125,000 USD which I received from a will. I'm looking for the poorest (yet stable/safe?) counties where that money would sustain me for the rest of my life in that country. I'm completely fluent in english, spanish, and french. I'd be willing to work as a nurse if I needed to.

I just don't like the idea that in the USA you work like a dog to live like one. I don't want to spend my whole life working nonstop and not being able to retire in comfort. The "american dream" is a complete illusion unless you're the top 2% in this country.




I know that in Latin america I could find a beautiful apartment for $200-400 a month. Why should I continue living in the US?
Latin America, you can get a place for 100/month. By the way, if you have a nursing degree, you must be able to make a six figure income after all that overtime. You work like a dog to get overtime pay. If you work in a third world country where you can retire on that money, you will also get paid less than working for McDonald's in the United States.

You can retire in Indonesia or Laos or Cambodia on your money. You should take your $125,000 USD and convert your money into Gold Bullions. Gold will skyrocket, and you will be able to live off the proceeds of the Gold Bull Market. Otherwise, upon hyperinflation, your dollar will become worthless.

You can live off the interest of your money if you live like the locals. But if you can't stand life as a nurse making as much as you do, you won't have the guts to live dirt cheap like a frugal backpacker.

I know one security guard who only made $12.00 Canadian per hour. But he lived out of his car, and ate at the Sikh Temples called Gurudwaras which offer free food. The great thing about this is that the food is often of high quality as the people who eat there are not just the poor, but the rich also.
When he needed to take a shower, he went to the community centers, and sometimes, just went to the toilet and used paper towels to wash himself.
He worked 168 hours working per 2 weeks doing yoga and meditation and lived a simple life.

How did he do it? He has travelled in third world countries and learned to get around on little money. He found that cutting corners in expenses in the western world is easier as so many things are free if you just look. Perhaps the cheapest way to live is right where you live.
Umpatan is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:12 am   #22
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 4,768
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Ignore the naysayers - they're all old and scared, worrying about their pensions and their gallbladders - take the $125K windfall and head south with your backpack for 6 months, find whichever place you decide you'd like to live in, check out the residency rules, find a locals-priced pad with 3/4 of the cash and use the rest to live on for a while.

Something will come along afterwards, either a job or other opportunities. Even if you end up heading back to the US in a few years time, you have had some adventure and still have pad to play with.
I will second that.You have a qualification that is in great demand in many countries and besides that you have two world languages French and Spanish, a considerable sum of money and age on your side.
Get out there and enjoy and i am sure opportunities that you have never considered will present themselves.
I have met quite a number of Americans living in other countries who feel as you appear to with regards to living in the USA.You will be amounst friends.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:24 am   #23
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 4,768
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
It probably would....at some point. "At some point" being the key part of that sentence - this guy is a single 26 year old with no ties and can come and go as he pleases. Waiting around for a property to sell wouldn't be desirable.

Last thing I'd want to do with 3/4 of my $125k would be to tie it up in the middle of a global recession in some near third world property market. Also depending on where he might buy (C or S America), there's always the chance of political instability and losing the lot. Not the best idea I don't think.

Im not against buying property in a more stable environment....but his $125k won't get very far.
True enough and having property while living abroad is not always smooth sailing also..even with a property company taking care of it..believe me on this one.
Hopefully we in the western world can get away a little from the thinking of making a lot of money this way and a house will return to what it should be ...a place to live in....
the troubadour is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:31 am   #24
Éireann go Brách
 
Londonuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: White Man in Hammersmith Palais
Posts: 2,883
Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada View Post
Depending on the country, and their rules around foreign investors, you might be able to take that $125K and do something like buy real estate for rental income.

That way, your $125K isn't just slowly drained from the bank account.

Good luck.
As i look out my window to the Irish sea on this cold grey day i truly wish i was in Hastings!

I say give all your 125k to charity. Funny enough, ive just set up my own charity. Its the, get me to Hastings charity fund. I thank you in advance Mr usucks.
__________________
I met a girl from area 3, she told that she worked in a chicken factory.
Londonuck is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:17 am   #25
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 146
Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
True enough and having property while living abroad is not always smooth sailing also..even with a property company taking care of it..believe me on this one.
Hopefully we in the western world can get away a little from the thinking of making a lot of money this way and a house will return to what it should be ...a place to live in....
Actually, I think that the big firms like JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Rothschilds, Warren Buffet, Builderbergers should just buy the homes and rent it out to people.
Umpatan is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:57 pm   #26
Dan725 
BE Forum Addict
 
Dan725's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,309
Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Its funny that this thread has just rolled on for a while - I see the original poster hasn't been back since, so was obviously just trollin' with nowt better to do!

Still, some reasonable points have come out of it!
Dan725 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:19 pm   #27
Knight Templar
 
tomarense's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,115
tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
Its funny that this thread has just rolled on for a while - I see the original poster hasn't been back since, so was obviously just trollin' with nowt better to do!

Still, some reasonable points have come out of it!
He's lost up the Orinoco, looking for a pad to stay and a state of the art hospital to work in.
__________________
life's a bitch...then you marry one!
tomarense is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:01 pm   #28
BE Enthusiast
 
Foxy_fromCanada's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hastings, Barbados
Posts: 696
Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonuck View Post
As i look out my window to the Irish sea on this cold grey day i truly wish i was in Hastings!

I say give all your 125k to charity. Funny enough, ive just set up my own charity. Its the, get me to Hastings charity fund. I thank you in advance Mr usucks.
Haha! I wish you good luck. It's generally a pretty good place to be, especially for a Canadian who has endured 30-some-odd horrible winters!
Foxy_fromCanada is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:39 pm   #29
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 94
TheDreamer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
Its funny that this thread has just rolled on for a while - I see the original poster hasn't been back since, so was obviously just trollin' with nowt better to do!

Still, some reasonable points have come out of it!
It is possible that he had not read the content of the "will" properly and it was stipulated in the will .... "he cannot have the possession of the money until he's reached the age of 65" ......

*****
TheDreamer is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:54 am   #30
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 29
sunilgoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hate the US need to move, $125k, where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusucks View Post
I'm 27 years old guy, a nurse, and very sick of living in the US. I have $125,000 USD which I received from a will. I'm looking for the poorest (yet stable/safe?) counties where that money would sustain me for the rest of my life in that country. I'm completely fluent in english, spanish, and french. I'd be willing to work as a nurse if I needed to.

I just don't like the idea that in the USA you work like a dog to live like one. I don't want to spend my whole life working nonstop and not being able to retire in comfort. The "american dream" is a complete illusion unless you're the top 2% in this country.

I know that in Latin america I could find a beautiful apartment for $200-400 a month. Why should I continue living in the US?

I think goa will be a better option for you...........it is very very cheap 1$ = 50 INR
sunilgoa is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:41 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com