Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:11 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

Uk Grenada..is it a 3 month tourist visa on entrance at airport?

One of the things that I felt in Barbados as opposed to other islands is the ability as a single woman to feel relatively safe ..would you say the island has that feel?

Hope you dont mind if i ask a few more questions...how is the internet infrastructure ie wifi and internet connection..and do Grenadians drive on the same side as UK?

I have visited Grenada prior to the hurricane but stayed mainly on Carriacou

Last edited by Serendipidy; Mar 10th 2016 at 9:14 am.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:54 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Yes 3 months on arrival.

Yes its a safe island, of course some tourists are a bit sensitive, but honestly, there is almost no organised crime against tourists unlike places like st lucia and jamaica. We recently had 2 murders, but one was a hit and run, and the other was a mental patient who shouldnt have been let out. The police are pretty effective, a force not a service.

Driving is on the left, but mad at night, i tend not go far from the capital at night just bwcause there are so many drunk drivers and the roads arent great.

Internet is excellent. Wifi is free at every bar and restaurant on the island plus free in the malls etc [but slow there.] Mobile 4G is fine, but most dont bother. Home broadband is 80 ec a month for 12mb and its very reliable / steady performance. It should be - columbus comms have massive subsea capacity up the caribbean chain.

The thing about grenadian men and women - men esp when drunk on the beach - will call out to women, but the local women will just slap them down mercilessly. Its all actually very victorian / old fashioned, people must always say hello, good mmorning etc or they [like some tourists] are considered rude...

Children are amazingly well behaved, if they walk past you anywhere they will talk to you very politely, but if you consider that any child on a beach is the responsibility of any adult on that beach, to chastize for throwing sand, but also to feed if they are hungry, that gives you a feel of what the place is like, esp in the countryside.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:59 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Its actually hilarious sitting in a beach bar listening to the local guys trying to pick up tourists, some of whome i have to say are into holiday flings. You hear the term 'are you actively married' a lot.

Nobody gets pushy however, beach vendors for example are always polite and if you arent interested will not hassle you. They get upset when people tell them to go away dismissively, when really they just wanted to chat, and if they sell something thats a bonus.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just happened on this thread quite by chance, nd I have to say its been very enlightning, giving me an insight into somewhere I knew absolutely nothing about!
Thanks uk_grenada
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:01 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Uk Grenada..Barbados is a home from home as feel drive on the same side as UK too lol..is it tough to get use to the other side? I know what you mean about driving at night I hate it as people wear dark clothes on dark roads!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:04 pm

Huh, we drive like the uk, on the left? But the roads arent so good, usually not well lit, no white lines, and people drive fast, especially at night.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 2:17 pm

ahhh ok I read it wrong ie as steering on the left..thats cool...hmmm sounds well worth a reckie
Old Mar 14th 2016, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For many "Reality" is what they see on "Reality TV". What you see on it is not the whole picture - any more than what you read in a book or a newspaper.

We are surrounded by people who take their ideas of life and geography from the "Idiot Box". God, give them wisdom !

Last edited by scot47; Mar 14th 2016 at 2:24 pm.