Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:37 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

Hi has anyone on here relocated from UK to Guadaloupe?

Would love to hear some feedback on the island and living there

Thanks..Dips
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone relocated to Guadaloupe?

out of curiosity, why would you want to live in Guadaloupe?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:06 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I not want to ? do you know something I dont lol?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 11:30 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

https://girlinguadeloupe.wordpress.c...in-guadeloupe/

Because unless you are of the arrogant french persuasion you wont enjoy it. Its just a suburb of paris so far as the people are concerned.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:24 pm

wow thats very judgemental...how can anyone else decide what I would or would not enjoy? we all have our own journeys to live what might not be right for you could be perfect for me
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:29 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Well, unless you are french, and also like living with arrogant people you wont enjoy it - oh wait - i said that already.

Seriously, i'm not kidding, its a french departamenté with a lot of french tourists, and the locals have a reputation for being surly which i have experienced, they are typical parisiens, they have a habit of distain for anyone/anything that isnt french.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:31 pm

The fact that they have to cow tow to france all the time, and have french law imposed on them doesnt seem to help. If grenada was still a british colony i can see how aspects of that would exist here too.

The foods good...
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Why would I not want to ? do you know something I dont lol?
I'e visited the place a few times for vacations, but to me, it's just another poor Carribean island, but they speak French. Pointe a Pitre is nothing to talk about, and there are only a few decent public beaches . The Atlantic side is windy and desolate.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:49 pm

Ok to be honest I have not visited yet it was a consideration to visit with a view to a longer term location..I am looking for a caribbean location that does not need endless bureaucracy and paperwork to allow me to reside for 3 months at a time as I write my next book and run my business remotely...I have lived on a number of Caribbean Islands and am looking for somewhere new ..Guadaloupe i read up on and as it is part of the European Union as a British Citizen it would mean that I can live there up to 3 months with no paperwork...there is a BBC1 detective programme that is filmed on the neighbouring island "Death in Paradise" and it did look idillyic however I found out today that travel to and from the UK is long and expensive so all things considered I may have to keep looking...UK-Grenada are you in Grenada now..would you recommend it as an option?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:23 pm

I think i would. Yes i am here.

Tourists get a 3 month visa that can be locally renewed forever so long as you dont have an issue with the police. Doesnt cost much. After 2 years i think you can apply for residency, but never for citizenship unless you marry or are at least grandchild to a grenadian. In that case throw them a few hundred ec and get some documentation and the island and therefore caricom is your oyster.

Costs for food are overall lower than the uk but higher than the states, but you can get just about anything. Importing anything costs a lot in vat and duty, rule of thumb is to buy in the states but with shipping and taxes, double it...

Loads of locally made high quality furniture foods etc.

Houses - well look at remax or terra grenada. Plenty to rent but some areas are expensive like anywhere i guess. You would pay about 15% in taxescand costs to buy.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Mar 9th 2016 at 6:30 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:28 pm

Direct flights daily almost to most windward caribbean islands, toronto jfk atlanta miami and london. Via other local islands to most places really. If you want real quiet, carriacou union and petit martinique are a couple of hours on a ferry away.

Grenada has real local weather, a high rainforest interior makes it very lush/fertile.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:32 pm

Did you know - the last guy who played the british detective in death in paradise often wore his suit/shirt top but they couldnt film him waist down - trunks...
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

People choose their destination for emigration on the basis of a TV Drama programme ? Strewth ! Without visiting ?

Last edited by scot47; Mar 9th 2016 at 8:07 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:03 pm

To be fair whilst the program is very formulaic it is filmed in quite a nice little village.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:00 am

Scot47 I have not chosen a destination to live as part of a TV program, that comment was related to the OP stating that it does not have many nice beaches and the program shows otherwise..as a moderator on this site this site is for helping others decide IF and when they want to relocate..my question asked if anyone had relocated as I am looking at possible islands to write my next book from and as this island is part of the European Union it would be worth investigating..exactly what I am doing..having lived on a number of caribbean islands it goes without saying that I would visit first ..my questions were therefore aimed at anyone who had lived on Guadaloupe as I am looking at the bigger picture before I get involved with the detail.....I have been a moderator on this site for nearly 10 years and after giving a lot of guidance and help I am reaching out for some..I tend to let people be the own judge of what feels right for them...I supply facts and help not governance and judgement...If you have any advice on an alternative Scot then please let me know

Last edited by Serendipidy; Mar 10th 2016 at 9:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.