Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

considering immigrating to Zimbabwe?

considering immigrating to Zimbabwe?

Old Jun 29th 2003, 8:16 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Question considering immigrating to Zimbabwe?

Greetings,

Was curious if anyone was considering immigrating to Zimbabwe?

We have heard that the climate is great and the locals are friendly. Must admit we are extremely impressed by the exchange rate, as we will become immediate multi-millionaires.

Jokes aside (& not intended to offend anyone) it would be interesting to hear some of the stories from folk that have recently lived (or still are) in Zimbabwe. It would be most interesting in respect of how the horse’s mouth tells it compared to the media version that we all hear.

Interested.

Campbell.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Bobf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Did you not recently post a negative view of South Africa???

What makes you think "Zim" will be any better!!

Bobf
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:59 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Wink Reply to Bob

Hi there Bob,

Yup, that was me that posted the negative view on SA. If you read carefully into my posting/s you will see that we love it here and for sure will struggle to find a country that offers a similar lifestyle. With the recent addition to our family (3 month old lad) it puts a different light on things.

The future in SA has been like the rolling dice for some time and still very much is.
If you have had a look around the various topics in this forum you will see that I have made several postings trying to get feedback from various folk in various locations around the world.

My post on the Zim situ is with the intention to get some feedback to folk that are currently there or have moved out. For a long time there has been a relation between Zim & SA and South Africans tend to watch the Zim happenings as a gauge in some strange way.

Bush is here in the very near future with a focus on talks with Mbeki regarding the Zim issue. As you no-doubt are aware that Mbeki is driving the whole NEPAD initiative and has had extensive talks to Mugabe over the last few months. It is seen that the Zim situ has an effect on our economy and right now SA is trying to motivate foreign investors. Most countries do not agree with Mugabe’s strategies and also carefully watch the Zim / SA relations.

If you are interested in the SA situation and feel that I perhaps have my own negative agenda please have a visit to some of the sites for local newspapers and browse the news topics. That way you can read the headlines of various reporting and make your own views.

Cheers mate & thanks for your reply.

Campbell.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

kubwasana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BACK???

NOTHING would tempt me back to Zimbabwe! It had many advantages, of course, but never enjoyed the scenic beauty of, say, South Africa, or Kenya and Uganda. They were "green" compared to "dusty brown"!
Even if Mad Bob disappears, it'll be at the very least a decade before the country can return to economic and social stability. When he DOES go (soon - please!) it wouldn't be surprising if there was an unpleasant period of score-settling by those Africans who have been deprived, victimised, intimidated or lost members of their families.

Last edited by kubwasana; Jul 6th 2003 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: considering immigrating to Zimbabwe?

Originally posted by Campbells
Greetings,

Was curious if anyone was considering immigrating to Zimbabwe?

We have heard that the climate is great and the locals are friendly. Must admit we are extremely impressed by the exchange rate, as we will become immediate multi-millionaires.
Don't want to sound rude - but - you are joking aren't you???????? I take it you are white, whites have been fleeing or rather hounded out of the country in most cases having had to leave all their property behind. Beaten up, killed, had their livestock either "confiscated" killed or in many cases the hamstrings of cattle was cut to "send a message to owners".

Many locals might be very friendly people but as long as the "veterans" and other mobs get to rule the country as they see fit , beating up opposition politicians and supporters, jailing opposition politicians on trumped-up charges, shutting down their offices, jailing local journalists and evicting foreign ones, no one would get me to even consider a move to the country, even if I might become a "millionaire" overnight.

But you are taking the mick, right?
Old Jul 7th 2003, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default Micky taking

No, I wasn't extracting the Michael! I referred to Africans suffering a great deal because I felt I would be opening myself to being accused of racism were I to concentrate oon the predicament and sufferings of the whites. I suspect there would have been an immediate posting by somebody accusing me of sympathising only with fellow whites, ignoring the dismal situation of the blacks in Zimbabwe.
Yes, I am fully aware of what has been happening there and the economic catastrophe brought about by the continuing lust for power of one utterly ruthless, repressive egomaniac fully eleven years past retiring age but who refuses to go and who has stubbornly pursued catastrophically out-dated policies for AT LEAST the same amount of time.
Apart from anything else, with an estimated two million facing near-starvation in parts of the north-west that chose not to give Mugabe their vote in that "free and fair" (!) election, as usual it's going to cost the British taxpayer a fortune in increased aid for a start. Then we'll be footing the bill to try to restore some semblance of stability.
That's bad enough in itself. What makes it so much worse is to know that Mugabe knows full well that the very people he has berated and insulted time and time again will rush in to save the country he has so recklessly torn apart.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/

cheers

richard
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Default Horrifying

I suppose my attitude towards Zimbabwe recently has tended to be akin to that of the Foreign Office - "There's not much I can do about it so I'll pretend it's not happening and it will go away."
But of course the shadow is there at the back of my mind - that a country careering towards bankruptcy after writhing in agony for years under "Mad Bob" - will now be maintained to a greater or lesser degree by Libya, Iran and possibly other "interested parties" in order to enlist its help in creating mayhem across the world. Its northern neighbour, Zambia, recently rescued nearly 200 youngsters who had been virtually imprisoned and beaten with hosepipes in an Islamic Institute in Lusaka. It was claimed that selected individuals would be sent for training as terrorists.
Perhaps these revelations about the involvement of countries indisputably hostile to the West may cause the US government to stir itself into intervention in one way or the other.
That's the best we can hope for, I'm afraid. Only the Americans, so often the target of our criticism (and often envy!) have really made any attempt to make known their attitude towards the Mugabe regime with any force.
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office? Forgive my mocking laughter but their meagre efforts have proved ineffectual. But then the history of this department for well over half a century hardly bears investigation - high-spending, non-achieving, trailing behind it a succession of ineptitude and disastrous errors of judgement just too lengthy to list but including an inability to uncover double agents within its staff to ignoring clear indications of imminent war - as in the South Atlantic conflict. The entire department offers ideal material for a highly successful comedy series to rival "Yes, Minister" and"Dad's Army" - but with potential for far more hilarious situations as the incompetents bungle their way from one failure to another.
Were these people in the private sector as opposed to the Civil Service, half of them would have long ago been sent round to the Job Centre.

Last edited by kubwasana; Jul 29th 2003 at 9:10 pm.