Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Can I make it in the Cayman Islands?

Can I make it in the Cayman Islands?

Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Juno Ramirez is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can I make it in the Cayman Islands?

I am a journalism student due to graduate in 2008. I have a partner and an 8 year old child but my partner has no qualifications, at the moment he is a bus driver. I want to move to the Cayman Islands in a couple of years but I want to start planning now. I intend to write freelance and work for a large business, perhaps a financial company as I feel journalists are not paid much money. I will have about £20,000 saved up before I even think about leaving the UK. Can anyone tell me about education, jobs, if my degree will help me, houses, etc. I feel that crime in the UK is out of control and I have no intention of raising my child here. Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:39 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Can I make it in the Cayman Islands?

Cayman Net News is the main newspaper in Cayman, they always seem to be looking for people to work for them, you could send them an email (do a search for them on the Net.) There is plenty of work on island, if your partner is prepared to try his hand at anything i'm sure he would find work. I would suggest Cayman is great for a few years, but not a long term option.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Great, any ideas about housing prices and education? Should we buy or just rent somewhere, and why do you not recommend it as a long term option? Thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:26 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Hiya,

With regards to housing i would suggest renting, and then seeing how the housing market is, and if the island is for you before commiting.

Basically you can't ever get permanant residency or citizenship in Cayman, there is a seven year rule similar to Bermuda's, where you are made to leave the island for a year after seven years on island, so that you do not meet the requirments to become Caymanian. Its a small island, and it can't afford to give loads of people passports, as it would then mean the island would have to pay for their kids schooling, their health benefits, etc etc, etc. So basically it means its not a long term option, if you like Cayman, and want a longterm option, i would look at Queensland, similar lifestyle.

I was there for three years, had a great time (apart from Hurricane Ivan,) and have no regrets. But also its a small island, and is therefore limited. The only people i know on island, who do really well on a long term basis, are the lawyers and accountants, who earn a fortune, so they can afford to buy property, get off island whenever they want, pay for the healthcare, and for their kids to go to private school (a must.) Because they have money, they are more likely to be granted citizenship or "status," (i won't go into details but there are a small number of people who can apply for citizenship after seven years,) but even their chances are not great. So you are probably realizing, that to have a nice quality of life in Cayman you really need to be earning a reasnable amount, if you have kids i would suggest you need to be pulling in about CI$8000 a month.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Baz

How much is that in british pounds?

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:53 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Your talking around £4850 in your hand per month. It sounds alot, and is alot, but bear in mind you do get paid more in Cayman. For example as a nurse working for government in the hospital you would pull in around CI$3500 per month, i would have thought you would be getting something in that region as a journo. So if your partner is earning something similar, and you have a combined income of around CI$7000 per month, with kids you could probably do it, but you would not have much spare change after school fees etc,