Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

British and wanting to move to South East Asia...

British and wanting to move to South East Asia...

Old May 30th 2010, 8:51 am
Just Joined

ndyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British and wanting to move to South East Asia...

Hi,

Myself and my partner are in our early 30's and looking to move to South East Asia. It's an area we've visited before and really enjoyed and want to live there for a while maybe indefinitely. Ideally we'd like to go to Thailand but we're also considering Loas and Cambodia. We'd both need to work whilst there as we're not millionaires just yet! Has anyone done the same thing? How difficult was it getting visas etc and then work once you got there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Neil
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

expo09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British and wanting to move to South East Asia...

What type of work are you looking for? My Brother was thinking of moving and working in Thailand but didn't as wages are low. They are perfectly adequate in terms of paying for your living costs as things are generally very cheap, but if you wish to travel back home it will be difficult to earn enough to travel, because by British standards you won't be earning much.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:01 am
Just Joined

ndyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British and wanting to move to South East Asia...

Originally Posted by expo09
What type of work are you looking for? My Brother was thinking of moving and working in Thailand but didn't as wages are low. They are perfectly adequate in terms of paying for your living costs as things are generally very cheap, but if you wish to travel back home it will be difficult to earn enough to travel, because by British standards you won't be earning much.
Hi, thanks for your response. Our long term goal is to open a backpackers/hostel there but would be happy doing any work until we find the best location etc. Our work experience is in the travel industry/office management and training.