Belize

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future
Default Belize

Has anyone any experience of travelling to or living in this country. I am looking at visiting and possibly buying real estate here. Any advice from those in the know gratefully received!! Cheers
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice
Default Re: Belize

Originally Posted by Billie
Has anyone any experience of travelling to or living in this country. I am looking at visiting and possibly buying real estate here. Any advice from those in the know gratefully received!! Cheers

Hi there,

I am UK expat living in Texas now.
I travelled around Belize for a couple of weeks 2 yrs ago.

It has +'s and -'ves.

I would say don't spend too much time in Belize city.
It should really be called Belize slum. It is not what you probably expect of a city. I didn't see many whites there, it was all black. This wouldn't have bothered me except I felt very unwelcome there as a white person. I stood next to some police to ask for directions and they ignored me for about a minute and eventually one looked at me and just pointed quickly in some direction then went back to his conversation. School kids looked at me meanly and 'tsk' ed. Felt unsafe and unwelcome.
Some other places where a bit better. I went West to san ignacio and did some nice tours there. All in all I felt pretty unsafe there though.
I went next door to guatemala and felt safer (except in guatemala city) and it was a lot cheaper.

Why choose Belize?

I would recommend you do a little traveling first.

If I was to move somewhere random I would go to the orient, maybe thailand or vietnam. They are way cheaper and way more western friendly. I spent a month in thailand and loved the place.

Don't want to put you off you plans to go to belize - but IMO if you just have the bug to leave then there are nicer (and cheaper) places.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billie
Please have several visits before you buy.

Renting is always an option until you get the lay of the land.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by robousy
Hi there,

I am UK expat living in Texas now.
I travelled around Belize for a couple of weeks 2 yrs ago.

It has +'s and -'ves.

I would say don't spend too much time in Belize city.
It should really be called Belize slum. It is not what you probably expect of a city. I didn't see many whites there, it was all black. This wouldn't have bothered me except I felt very unwelcome there as a white person. I stood next to some police to ask for directions and they ignored me for about a minute and eventually one looked at me and just pointed quickly in some direction then went back to his conversation. School kids looked at me meanly and 'tsk' ed. Felt unsafe and unwelcome.
Some other places where a bit better. I went West to san ignacio and did some nice tours there. All in all I felt pretty unsafe there though.
I went next door to guatemala and felt safer (except in guatemala city) and it was a lot cheaper.

Why choose Belize?

I would recommend you do a little traveling first.

If I was to move somewhere random I would go to the orient, maybe thailand or vietnam. They are way cheaper and way more western friendly. I spent a month in thailand and loved the place.

Don't want to put you off you plans to go to belize - but IMO if you just have the bug to leave then there are nicer (and cheaper) places.
Thanks for that- I will keep researching other places to buy land.