Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Anyone in or near Surat

Anyone in or near Surat

Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

iterated is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in or near Surat

Hi I am a VSO volunteer working in Surat Gujarat India.

I am increasingly convinced I am the only European (I am English) in town, would love to hear from anyone who can tell me different.

Actually I can because there is a German vol here with me but she is about to leave and go home.

Get in touch

Pete
Old May 11th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Sandrine2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in or near Surat

Hi,

Now that you have been in Surat for a few month i guess you have already met a few expat ?
I just arrived in Surat - living in Essar Township - there are a few expat there
I would be please to know if you have any advice for Surat to avoid getting bored
I will be in Surat for 8 months

Take care
S
Old May 11th 2008, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

hi S

No not met any expats as I am over the Goshalla side of town not exactly expat country

as for not getting bored? Star Movies lol

drop me a line at [email protected] if you want.

best regards

Pete
Old May 12th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear you have not been able to contact any expats or friends from UK in Surat. I hope you are enjoying your time there. My wife has family there in the Palanpur/Jagatnaka area. I have been a few times to weddings and other family occasions and find the people and the culture great. Must admit in the time I have spent there have not met many other europeans only the odd business men in the hotels. My wife is out there at present having some dental treatment. Unfortunately she returns on Sunday otherwise I am sure her and her brother would have looked you up and taken you to meet the family. Hope you have an opportunity while there to visit other parts of Gujarat such as the Gir forest to see the Lions.
I normally spend my time on the Goa forum and stumbled across this just browsing. Any way hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Surat.

Phil.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Phil

Yes done the Gir park and Dwarka etc also did the Dangs and stayed at Saputara well worth a visit before it loses its innocence.

I am out here a a volunteer with VSO working in the HIV?aids field, and live over Goshalla AK road way as I say even if there were any other westeners in town I would not expect to see them this way.

Have been here 6 months now and accept that is how it is and the good people of Surat soon make up for it anyway.

Am back home for a visit from 17/5 to 5/6 so may just have to have a beer and some non-veg lol. (Not that I can say I have really missed either that much)

Pete

Last edited by iterated; May 13th 2008 at 8:17 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 13th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about

Hi Pete,

Glad to here you done some visiting of the sights of Gujarat while you have been there. Bet that first beer will slide down really well. Can,t agree about the meat though as I have been a veggie since marrying Bharti. Spoke to Bharti today and her and her brother are sorry that they will not have time to meet up with you and introduce you to the family as they would have made you more than welcome. If they go out again later in the year I will let you now in advance and if you are back out there we can make arrangements for you to meet up. Must admit I have admiration for people like yourself working for VSO only wish in my younger days I had taken such an opportunity. Unfortunately in my youth a week on the Costa Brava was considered a real adventure!!! Have a safe journey home.

Phil.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Yes Phil it would be lovely to meet your wife and her family if they come out again I am likely to be here until November next year.

VSO do not target youngsters any more Phil I am 56 years old and In ealry retirement. I am here advising on Organisational development and strategic planning. The days of gap year students buliding school houses are long gone.

So you don't get out of it that easy anymore

Yes I was always on the veg side and have been exclusively veg out here but must admit I do like a fried breafast and fish and chips it will be interesting to see how I feel now though?

Best regards

Pete
Old May 15th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Pete

Well that certainly puts my life into perspective as I am only 2 years older than you and would never think to do something like VSO work always considered myself to old!!!!!!! Any way that has given me some food for thought. You have a safe journey home and let me know when you get back to Surat.

Phil.