Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Anyone lived/worked in the Maldives?

Anyone lived/worked in the Maldives?

Old May 25th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Meatpie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone lived/worked in the Maldives?

Hello to all,

My partner has confirmed a position in a resort in the Maldives & I was wondering if there are any members out there who have lived/worked in the Maldives & can offer any advice to this urban city girl who will be relocating to an island?!!

Many thanks.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone lived/worked in the Maldives?

Originally Posted by Meatpie
Hello to all,

My partner has confirmed a position in a resort in the Maldives & I was wondering if there are any members out there who have lived/worked in the Maldives & can offer any advice to this urban city girl who will be relocating to an island?!!

Many thanks.
Take lots of reading material??

No seriously, it will depend on what island you are on as to how accessible you will be to other life. Most of the tourist islands are small and holiday life is typically very slow, with days around snorkelling/diving/sunbathing and the evenings being chilled affairs.

I am currently working on a project meaning various trips from where I live in Dubai to tourist islands as well as the main Maldives island of Male and to be honest there isn't much offered there, just basic essentials shopping on a grossly over populated island.

The tourist islands are beautiful places to be, your friends will be those you make in the resort. But what is a great place to spend a stress busting fortnight, will be I suspect a very different experience to live and work for a couple of years - the main one being detached from the world at large - an idyllic proposition initially, but maybe an eventual very different one when you realise you are living in a very small goldfish bowl.

But hey you only live once.. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.