Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Kerala

Thinking of moving to Kerala

Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

IreneA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Kerala

Seriously thinking of moving to Kerala for my golden years. Would like to be part of a community but not big city. any suggestions greatly received😀
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:58 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Kerala

Watch less uk tv?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:34 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, dont even consider it tilll youve lived out there as a visitor for 6 months, and understand the financial, health, poverty and social situation anywhere, that program gave an overly rosy view imho but only you after serious investigation without commitment can decide for you.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Answer the following questions.

Have you lived in India for at least 20 years.
Do you speak Hindi
Do you have relatives or close friends who are living in India.

If you answer no to two of the questions then don't even think about the move.

India is a Third world country with corrupt systems.
I speak from experience having lived in the Country.
I could answer yes to all the above questions and still found life difficult.

Most things only get done if you know the right people, hence having friends and relatives who would know the right people. Even then bribery is required. You need to have lived in the country to know their systems and culture and adjust to the weather.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52

Do you speak Hindi

Most things only get done if you know the right people, hence having friends and relatives who would know the right people. Even then bribery is required. You need to have lived in the country to know their systems and culture and adjust to the weather.
[/QUOTE]

I lived/worked in Orissa for 3 years.
No way would I ever consider to return never mind to retire to India. Pictures and TV documentaries give an unrealistic picture. You will never become part of the community. Expat community if there is such, yes you can join. For the locals you will remain a foreigner. Don't think wearing sari or shalwar will change this.
Watch the movie "Marigold Hotel". This is a bit more like reality.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

physdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond reputephysdude has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52

Do you speak Hindi

Most things only get done if you know the right people, hence having friends and relatives who would know the right people. Even then bribery is required. You need to have lived in the country to know their systems and culture and adjust to the weather.
[/QUOTE]

Hindi is irrelevant in Kerala since it is hardly spoken there - the main languages are Malayalam and English is relatively more widely spoken than the rest of India with the high literacy rate helping in that aspect. Malayalam though is far more different from English than Hindi (which, like English, comes under the Indo-European family of languages). Kerala is also different from the rest of India being more cosmopolitan due to history and scoring much higher in standard development indicators which probably indicates lower corruption (though it is just as poor as the rest of India). Kerala also has some stunningly beautiful places.

Having said all that, it is still rather poor and conservative in some aspects (hotels generally do not take in couples without proof of marriage) and you should stay there at least for a few months before you decide anything (always a good idea).

It is also unfair to compare Kerala to Orissa given the vastly different levels of development indicators in the two places (Orissa is firmly at the lower end while Kerala is much higher than any other part of India).