Reload this Page >

Newbie with a question on self moving

Newbie with a question on self moving

Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

fromheretothere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie with a question on self moving

Good evening all,

Will be moving to the Midlands over a period of a few months from England.

Initially, we had just planned to hire a Transit or similar and only move the essentials that we would need for our first visit at Easter (beds, sofa etc).

My dilemma is this:- we want to take various tools to help in the re-assembling of furniture, plumb in the washing machine etc, and looking further forward all the jobs we have planned.

Now, looking at the ferry FAQs it shows that most of the contents of your standard toolbox would be considered restricted/prohibited, never mind the bigger powertools.

I really don't fancy having to buy the contents of a 16ft shed's worth of tools all over again. We are talking a considerable amount.

How did any of you deal with this issue when making the move yourselves via ferry? I'd be grateful for your input.

Many thanks

fromheretothere
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

jenny-laurel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie with a question on self moving

Hello, we moved from London to Cavan in January 2016 bringing everything (literally) from our old home! We hired a 'man & a van' for the big stuff and brought the rest including all my partners tools in our Golf Estate and trailer without any problems.
If a person is relocating then presumably they will be bringing all their possessions? We had various power tools and hand tools. Some of which we had brought over and back a few times in order to work on the house before moving in.
Good luck with your move.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

fromheretothere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie with a question on self moving

Originally Posted by jenny-laurel
Hello, we moved from London to Cavan in January 2016 bringing everything (literally) from our old home! We hired a 'man & a van' for the big stuff and brought the rest including all my partners tools in our Golf Estate and trailer without any problems.
If a person is relocating then presumably they will be bringing all their possessions? We had various power tools and hand tools. Some of which we had brought over and back a few times in order to work on the house before moving in.
Good luck with your move.

Hi Jenny

So sorry only just replying. Thanks for your reply.

Well we did it with no problems. I guess I was looking too closely at the smallprint

Louise