Where to live in Dublin

Old Jul 29th 2016, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

aph1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Dublin

I will be moving to Dublin from the UK in early 2017 with my wife and two pre-school daughters (I am a working professional with employer's office near IFSC, my wife a full time mum). We would like to live (renting initially, maybe buying later) somewhere with a good state primary school, somewhere for children to play outside and good transport links to Dublin centre (or walking distance). We anticipate being in Dublin for 3-5 years. I would appreciate any advice on which districts/suburbs we should be considering.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:17 pm
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Dublin

Rent.ie and Daft.ie are the two best sites for rental properties.
North of the River Liffey are odd postcodes, South are even postcodes, D2, D4, etc.
You will find the further you move away from the city centre (in any direction) the cheaper the rent gets. D1 and D2 are the most expensive for example (the centre).
A good option for the IFSC is to live in the North side and get the DART (train) into Dublin Connolly as its close.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aph1975
I will be moving to Dublin from the UK in early 2017 with my wife and two pre-school daughters (I am a working professional with employer's office near IFSC, my wife a full time mum). We would like to live (renting initially, maybe buying later) somewhere with a good state primary school, somewhere for children to play outside and good transport links to Dublin centre (or walking distance). We anticipate being in Dublin for 3-5 years. I would appreciate any advice on which districts/suburbs we should be considering.
Not in Dublin myself but heard a lot of positive things about Blackrock and especially along the coast you have the Dart. However, all of these places will be very expensive so depends on your budget.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

aph1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EndaKenny
Rent.ie and Daft.ie are the two best sites for rental properties.
North of the River Liffey are odd postcodes, South are even postcodes, D2, D4, etc.
You will find the further you move away from the city centre (in any direction) the cheaper the rent gets. D1 and D2 are the most expensive for example (the centre).
A good option for the IFSC is to live in the North side and get the DART (train) into Dublin Connolly as its close.
My budget if buying is circa EUR500K, or equivalent rental. Which are good DART suburbs? Also I notice the residential area immediately north of IFSC seem quite cheap (compared to south of river) - is it unsuitable for families?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

My budget if buying is circa EUR500K, or equivalent rental. Which are good DART suburbs? Also I notice the residential area immediately north of IFSC seem quite cheap (compared to south of river) - is it unsuitable for families?
The rents are cheap for a reason. You should go Southside, with the possible exception of Malahide, but it's a fair ride out.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrhappygolucky
The rents are cheap for a reason. You should go Southside, with the possible exception of Malahide, but it's a fair ride out.
Although Howth also seems OK Northside. I suppose with a 500K budget Dun Laoghaire would be a possibility.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Fairview is within walking distance of the IFSC, has a large parks, and a good shopping district.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:24 pm
Banned

I live in Dalkey. You may like it here. We don't have many Eastern Europeans.
I suppose they cannot afford to rent or buy here. Natural selection really.
Its mainly affluent middle-class Irish homeowners rather than tenants.
Not utopia, but well insulated from the immigrants nonetheless.
No Dublin junkies begging either. Most refreshing after a day in Dublin city centre telling them to <snip> off.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 14th 2016 at 11:32 am. Reason: Putting a dot in it doesn't mean it's not a swear word!
Old Oct 14th 2016, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Enda displays all the usual Irish attitudes to foreigners ! Welcome to Dublin !
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EndaKenny
I live in Dalkey. You may like it here. We don't have many Eastern Europeans.
I suppose they cannot afford to rent or buy here. Natural selection really.
Its mainly affluent middle-class Irish homeowners rather than tenants.
Not utopia, but well insulated from the immigrants nonetheless.
No Dublin junkies begging either. Most refreshing after a day in Dublin city centre telling them to *******.
How ironic that you are giving this advice to prospective immigrants
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I should have typed Eastern European immigrants.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes and EndaKenny has mentioned it in nearly every post that he has a problem with immigrants (sorry, mainly EE) . I don't even know why he's bothered by them if they apparently can't afford to live where he does.
Please note that he lives in one of the most expensive places in Ireland (Dalkey) and has neighbours like Bono.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 11:46 am
Banned

Dalkey.
/end of thread.