Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

When It Doesn't Work Out

When It Doesn't Work Out

Old May 1st 2017, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When It Doesn't Work Out

I'm not sure where to start, but I'll try to be as brief as possible.
Property purchases here can take in excess of three months, so as soon as I had a buyer for my property in UK, I set the ball rolling to purchase the property I am currently living in. The purchase had not completed by the time I moved over here, but the agent was confident it would complete soon, so he allowed me in on a caretaker's agreement that would last four weeks.That was on 24th Feb. By 24th March, completion was nowhere in sight as the vendors solicitors were dragging their feet. They sent the property information form across to my solicitor completely blank to use an example. One of the questions on it was regarding any planning permission for developments on the site. As there is a new triple garage, we asked for confirmation of planning permission. He told us there was none. He also said that his solicitor hadn't asked about it when he bought the place as allegedly the garage was in situ then.
He came over here from the UK on Friday, apparently to sort this out. He told me then he is refusing to pay for retentive planning permission. I believe that he built the garages without permission. He suggested I buy it with €500 off, and apply for planning myself. As I could potentially be left with a property that is completely unsaleable, I told him to stuff it. He also told me that when he bought the place ten years ago, he had the substantial extension put on as well as carrying out renovation works. My solicitor and I were not aware that the extension was that recent and tomorrow my solicitor will have to check if planning was granted for this.
As I am not prepared to buy a property with an illegal development on it, I am left up a creek without a paddle.
The upshot of all this is that I shall be returning to the UK as soon as I can find somewhere to live, with my children's help. I shall be much poorer for it. I shall have to rent for six months in the UK whilst I find a job and a house/flat to buy and it's going to be years before I can recoup all the money I have lost. I have two horses and a dog who will have to go through the arduous journey again too.
It's a lovely country, that's a definite, but if you are thinking of making it your home, don't believe anything you are told by locals, make sure you employ a really good solicitor who will check everything and be prepared for everything and everyone to take at least twice as long as it should. I am just glad I employed a really decent solicitor.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Shaunandelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When It Doesn't Work Out

Will be looking for a house towards end of year, fully expecting shenanigans.
Old May 5th 2017, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

fromheretothere is an unknown quantity at this point

What a shame, so sorry this has happened to you Buzyizzy.

As with all conveyancing, it's vital you have a good solicitor (and I wouldn't listen to a word from anyone else). If all the i's aren't dotted and t's crossed then it's time to move on.

All the best.

fromheretothere
Old May 12th 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzyizzy
I'm not sure where to start, but I'll try to be as brief as possible.
Property purchases here can take in excess of three months, so as soon as I had a buyer for my property in UK, I set the ball rolling to purchase the property I am currently living in. The purchase had not completed by the time I moved over here, but the agent was confident it would complete soon, so he allowed me in on a caretaker's agreement that would last four weeks.That was on 24th Feb. By 24th March, completion was nowhere in sight as the vendors solicitors were dragging their feet. They sent the property information form across to my solicitor completely blank to use an example. One of the questions on it was regarding any planning permission for developments on the site. As there is a new triple garage, we asked for confirmation of planning permission. He told us there was none. He also said that his solicitor hadn't asked about it when he bought the place as allegedly the garage was in situ then.
He came over here from the UK on Friday, apparently to sort this out. He told me then he is refusing to pay for retentive planning permission. I believe that he built the garages without permission. He suggested I buy it with €500 off, and apply for planning myself. As I could potentially be left with a property that is completely unsaleable, I told him to stuff it. He also told me that when he bought the place ten years ago, he had the substantial extension put on as well as carrying out renovation works. My solicitor and I were not aware that the extension was that recent and tomorrow my solicitor will have to check if planning was granted for this.
As I am not prepared to buy a property with an illegal development on it, I am left up a creek without a paddle.
The upshot of all this is that I shall be returning to the UK as soon as I can find somewhere to live, with my children's help. I shall be much poorer for it. I shall have to rent for six months in the UK whilst I find a job and a house/flat to buy and it's going to be years before I can recoup all the money I have lost. I have two horses and a dog who will have to go through the arduous journey again too.
It's a lovely country, that's a definite, but if you are thinking of making it your home, don't believe anything you are told by locals, make sure you employ a really good solicitor who will check everything and be prepared for everything and everyone to take at least twice as long as it should. I am just glad I employed a really decent solicitor.
When I moved here 17 years ago a fella gave me some good advice, he said " Don't tell anyone anything, and if you do, tell them lies, as that is what they'll be telling you." It was the best bit of advice anyone has ever given me, and it has saved me more money and griefthan you could ever imagine.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

liamnolan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that sad tale and its a good example of why we have solicitors.
I am about to make a few offers on properties around Wexford and your experiences will be well noted, thanks for sharing, much appreciated.
I will probably not go along with telling everyone lies but I take the hint and will not take everyone at their word.
For me, its vital to have some assurances from the estate agent and solicitors that the transaction is properly carried out, that title is intact and that the place is not waiting to fall down. I will be making a visit and will do that at various times of the day as things can change, though my places are rural, so its local farming activity mostly. It would be just my rotten luck to move in and then discover that the place next door is used for global nymphomania conferences and that they wander all over the place, but I suppose I would just have suffer in silence, Liam
Old Jun 15th 2017, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liamnolan
Sorry to hear that sad tale and its a good example of why we have solicitors.
I am about to make a few offers on properties around Wexford and your experiences will be well noted, thanks for sharing, much appreciated.
I will probably not go along with telling everyone lies but I take the hint and will not take everyone at their word.
For me, its vital to have some assurances from the estate agent and solicitors that the transaction is properly carried out, that title is intact and that the place is not waiting to fall down. I will be making a visit and will do that at various times of the day as things can change, though my places are rural, so its local farming activity mostly. It would be just my rotten luck to move in and then discover that the place next door is used for global nymphomania conferences and that they wander all over the place, but I suppose I would just have suffer in silence, Liam
Don't believe a word the agent tells you, in my case he was the worst of the lot, and a vindictive evil tongue on him too! Property is being remarketed exactly as before, so I pity the next unsuspecting person. Do not trust anyone at all apart from your solicitor.