Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

I am not surprised that Ireland is f**ked if you can claim JSA for 20 years. Who is paying the bill - the working man of course. Only in Ireland!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:23 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
I am not surprised that Ireland is f**ked if you can claim JSA for 20 years. Who is paying the bill - the working man of course. Only in Ireland!
Agreed.
Officially there are 450,000 on the live register claiming dole.
In reality the the true figure is much higher than that. The statistics are being distorted by the Government with internships.
They have a scheme called Jobsbridge. Its where you are on the dole and get an extra 50 Euro per week to do an internship, slave labour in other words.
One gets 188 Euro per week dole. One gets 238 per week doing an internship.
So although the minimum wage is 8.65 Euro per hour, you will work 39 hours for 238 Euro per week right? No thanks.
Its good for the Government though, as it means they can distort the dole live register statistics. These people are no longer on the dole you see, no; now they are on internships for 6-9 months, training to to do a job that doesn't exist at the end of the internship.
Free slave labour for employers, and shortening the dole queue statistics for the Irish Government. Its a win win situation.
The only loser is the man on dole, now working 39 hours per week for 238 Euro.
Yes, the dole is good here; better than the UK and many parts of the EU.
The thing is, Ireland is ****ed and there are no jobs now; so what is the other option? Emigrate to Australia or Canada to get work.
I moved to Dublin to get work. I have a BA (Hons), MA; and 16 years specific industry experience under my belt, yet it took me 2 years to find work! I was over qualified and experienced for most minimum wage jobs even if I could do them. I gave up my job as I was fed up of speaking broken English every day to immigrants that can't understand you.
The truth is, I am better off on the dole than when I was working. For 16 years I worked and paid tax into the EU social fund. Now I am getting it back on the dole. I feel no shame in that.
Don't blame the man on the dole for exploiting the system, its the Governments fault for making the system that way.
The truth is, Ireland is too soft on emigration. In the Celtic Tiger boom years it needed the cheap EU labour. Now that has been replaced with Brazilian labour. They are better for the Irish economy as they can't claim social welfare (unlike EU citizens).
When Romania and Bulgaria get full EU membership Ireland will be flooded with their immigrants, and they will undercut the Brazilian labour once again.
The Brazilians have driven many Polish and Lithuanian labourers back home since the work dried up.
Paddy on the dole wont break his back for 39 hours per week for 8.65 Euro per hour, but the Brazilian man will. That's just the way it is here.
You see Paddy had a taste of the good times working in the Celtic Tiger boom earning 20 Euro an hour, and picking and choosing what kind of work he would do.
They were the days of easy credit under Fianna Fail. Now Fine Gael are pissing Paddy off with austerity budgets and taxes, he doesn't like it. So why would he get off the dole? To do an internship?
That is why you have people on the dole here 20 years or more. They work alright, work and claim dole.
I was collecting my dole at my local post office last Wednesday, and a taxi driver parked outside, and then claimed his dole.
That is the way it is here. One can moan and begrudge all one likes, but after 2 years living here, you become a cute hoor the same as everyone else.
If people want to work for 8.65 Euro an hour with Brazilians that can't speak English then good luck to them. I would rather be on the dole thanks.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Mar 11th 2013 at 7:30 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Going home Lino?
Hi Londonuck.
I should have done it 2 years ago when I was laid off from the Daily Urinal here in Edmonton.
By the way we may have worked for the same parent companies in years past.
Southam/Hollinger/Canwest. I know they owned a bunch of weeklies in the Vancouver area. Canwest went into creditor protection in 2009/10 and was taken over by Postmedia (a new entity owned by a vulture fund out of New York) who started to outsource pre-press functions to the Phillipines and cut staff in the pre-press operations across the chain.
I see you've got a good job with Transit in Vancouver, hope it goes well.
I tried to get on with CN Rail as a freight conductor (no luck).
As you said the print business is now dead here.
Fort McMoney is looking good right now.
Cheers

Last edited by Linotype; Mar 12th 2013 at 11:30 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant future

This is the problem with Britain in general, people have a right to claim benefit for as long as they want or need, nothing stopping them from having as many children as they choose whilst on benefits either! If anything its a bonus as then the weekly amount they receive is increased!
We, as the working people pay for the ipod's and Wii's given to the children of the unemployed!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarwild
This is the problem with Britain in general, people have a right to claim benefit for as long as they want or need, nothing stopping them from having as many children as they choose whilst on benefits either! If anything its a bonus as then the weekly amount they receive is increased!
We, as the working people pay for the ipod's and Wii's given to the children of the unemployed!
No such benefits here in Alberta, Canada.
EI (JSB) lasts 38 weeks. If you receive severance pay then this is cut back.
In my case I received 1 1/2 years redundancy from work and was cut back to 14 weeks EI. This was after 33 years working full time without any claim.
Welfare (JSA) is $600 - $700 a month for a single person.
Out of that you have to pay food, rent etc.
And there is a huge stigma attached to being on it.
A reasonable rent here for 1 bed apt. Is $800 a month
I am going into my third year of unemployment (living on savings).
Canada is great provided you are under 50 and have an in-demand skill they require.
Which I was and did have.

Last edited by Linotype; Mar 14th 2013 at 2:56 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:56 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

So what do you suggest?
Unemployed people should be sterilised?
Or we have a communist state like China where you are only allowed to have 2 male children, and abort any female pregnancies?
Say there is a recession for 5-10 years, and an unemployed woman is 25-35 years old during those years.
You suggest she waits until she is over 35 and infertile, and working again; to have kids?
In Ireland the birth rate is at an all time high, despite it being in one of the worst recessions ever.
Its nothing to do with getting more child benefit by having say 5 kids. Many career women that cant get a job, are deciding to rear children as a lifestyle choice.
One can't just stereotype everyone that has a child on the dole like that. You are deluded.
I worked for 16 years and paid tax into the EU social fund. Now I am unemployed and on the dole. I feel now shame what so ever in claiming everything I can; and if I choose to have children, then that is my prerogative not yours.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Linotype
No such benefits here in Alberta, Canada.
EI (JSB) lasts 38 weeks. If you receive severance pay then this is cut back.
In my case I received 1 1/2 years redundancy from work and was cut back to 14 weeks EI. This was after 33 years working full time without any claim.
Welfare (JSA) is $600 - $700 a month for a single person.
Out of that you have to pay food, rent etc.
And there is a huge stigma attached to being on it.
A reasonable rent here for 1 bed apt. Is $800 a month
I am going into my third year of unemployment (living on savings).
Canada is great provided you are under 50 and have an in-demand skill they require.
Which I was and did have.
Canada is not all that then.
Honestly you would be better off on the dole in Ireland all things considered.
I am currently getting 832 Euro per month dole, and my rent on a 1 bedroom apartment is 300 Euro per month. You do the maths.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant future

Sean, I did not say anything like sterilised, grow up and read the post!

i was stating that so many unemployed people have children simply to increace the benefit they get, this has caused an increace in child poverty, children not being brought up correctly or given the morals we were instilled with as children!

It is not a dig at women who have been forced out of work and nor do I agree with the China dig, either!

People who have worked and PAID INTO the system should then be able to claim an amount for a certain length of time, to do what they choose with where those who have never worked or dont intend working should get reduced payments and not be allowed to have more children to increace their weekly 2entitlement2 as they see it!
And as for me being deluded, is that really a comment to make just because we have differing views, as you see it?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:01 pm
Banned

Sean, I did not say anything like sterilised, grow up and read the post!

i was stating that so many unemployed people have children simply to increace the benefit they get, this has caused an increace in child poverty, children not being brought up correctly or given the morals we were instilled with as children!

It is not a dig at women who have been forced out of work and nor do I agree with the China dig, either!

People who have worked and PAID INTO the system should then be able to claim an amount for a certain length of time, to do what they choose with where those who have never worked or dont intend working should get reduced payments and not be allowed to have more children to increace their weekly 2entitlement2 as they see it!
And as for me being deluded, is that really a comment to make just because we have differing views, as you see it?
And how do you propose stopping a woman having a child?
I suppose you think it would work stopping benefits totally for people that have never worked?
So you have one set of rules for working people, and one set of rules for unemployed people in your utopia do you?
Wise up. You are deluded.
Next you will be saying only working people should get NHS treatment, but not unemployed people.
When you told your friends and family you were leaving the UK for good, they were inconsolable right?
Or did they throw the party after you left...

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Mar 15th 2013 at 2:05 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, big guy go and get a job!

I said people who have paid into the system should be able to claim, I never said anything about the NHS or anything else!
Grow up and stop making an arse of yourself!

I am still living, working and paying taxes in the UK for people who have never worked, have loads of kids and claim "every penny they can", as I noticed you do!

I have nothing against people on benefit as I have had to claim it myself in the past but I do have an issue with people who have never paid into the system milking the Country dry!

If you want a bigger house go earn the money, if you want a better standard of living increace your earnings and if you CHOOSE to have lots of children make sure you can afford to feed, clothe and support them! Simples
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:39 pm
Banned

Oh, big guy go and get a job!

I said people who have paid into the system should be able to claim, I never said anything about the NHS or anything else!
Grow up and stop making an arse of yourself!

I am still living, working and paying taxes in the UK for people who have never worked, have loads of kids and claim "every penny they can", as I noticed you do!

I have nothing against people on benefit as I have had to claim it myself in the past but I do have an issue with people who have never paid into the system milking the Country dry!

If you want a bigger house go earn the money, if you want a better standard of living increace your earnings and if you CHOOSE to have lots of children make sure you can afford to feed, clothe and support them! Simples
I have been on here since 2011 and made 263 posts. Many of my posts are useful information for people emigrating to Ireland. People respect me for that as its helping them. Its the information I needed when I emigrated.
You joined here this month and your contribution is 16 posts of nonsense. You make no contribution at all. Do you think anyone on here wants to hear your deluded opinion if people on the dole? What help is that to anyone? None at all.
I emigrated to Ireland in 2010, so what I say is based in personal experience and fact. When you have been here 3 years like me, then come and talk to me; when you know what you are talking about.
I lived in London for 32 years, I worked from 19 years old. The first time I claimed dole in my life was in Ireland.
I don't have a problem with people not working all their lives, having as many kids as they like, and claiming all the benefits they are entitled to.
I worked and paid into the Eu social fund, and they are living off my taxes. Now I am living off my taxes too.
If someone doesn't want to work, then I don't have a problem with that; its their prerogative.
You need to accept reality, some people don't want to work, and they want to have kids. That's just the way it is.
Right now I am 36 years old and on the dole. I actually quite like it as I am better off than when I worked. If I want to have kids on the dole, then why not? Am I supposed to feel guilty about that as I am sponging off the state and you work and pay tax, and I don't?
Wake up. People on the dole in Ireland are the cute hoors. The working people like you are the mugs supporting us.
You carry on working for me, and I will keep collecting my dole.
Your principles and morals are worth nothing here. Fact.
Don't take my word for it though, what do I know?
Here, educate yourself:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...fare-scrounger

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Mar 15th 2013 at 11:26 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, so you have been here longer than me and therefore know everything of use, huh? Did I say my opinions were of use to others? No. Did I say I knew better than others? No. I gave my opinion and that is what a forum is for, just because you feel comfortable living off the money I, and others who work pays in taxes does not make your opinion any more interesting or correct than other peoples!

Odd that you are the only person who is commenting on my posts, either your looking to "big yourself up" or you are the only person who can be bothered making nasty, unnecessarily so, comments on something we have totally different opinions about!

I dont wish to argue with anyone, not even you, about something neither of us has any power over!

I will continue working and paying my taxes and hope that the system gets altered so you and others who choose not to work receive less money that those of us who have taken responsibility for bringing up the children we have!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

I have been on here since 2011 and made 263 posts. Many of my posts are useful information for people emigrating to Ireland. People respect me for that as its helping them. Its the information I needed when I emigrated.
I would put you as one of the most informative posters here.

You certainly gave me good information.

vette
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:11 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Every message board thread these days seems to descend into insults. Keep it nice fellas!

Last edited by Londonuck; Mar 16th 2013 at 4:15 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Every message board thread these days seems to descend into insults. Keep it nice fellas!
I've been here since 1999. Big deal I know fuuck all please keep it civil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.