Reload this Page >

UK Pensioner Returning for NHS Treatment

UK Pensioner Returning for NHS Treatment

Old Mar 15th 2017, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

markmccarron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Pensioner Returning for NHS Treatment

I am trying to figure out about healthcare
I live in Donegal, and both myself and my wife are in receipt of UK State Pension as well as Irish State Pensions. I know about the healthcare in Ireland and that if I was in receipt of just the UK pension while living here I would be entitled to a medical card, however I'm not because I have an Irish pension and am thus means tested and don't qualify.

I was reading several different articles about UK Pensioners Living abroad are entitled to the same NHS Treatment as anyone resident. I am aware that anyone can recieve non-routine treatment with an EHIC Card from Ireland in the UK.
What I wanted to know was would I be entitled to get Routine Medical Treatment? Would anyone have any information on this?

I live in a rural area in Donegal quite close to the border. My nearest Hospital is in Northern Ireland rather than the one in Donegal which is a further 20 miles away.I contacted the International Pensions Centre and the healthcare department and got conflicting answers and also mentioned something about an S1. We also don't have any UK Addresses or NHS Numbers as we left UK in the 70's.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pensioner Returning for NHS Treatment

What passport do you hold - British (UK) or Irish (Republic of Ireland).

British passport holders receiving UK state pensions can obtain state medical cover in their residence overseas with the S1 card.

However if you are Irish, I doubt that this applies to you.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What passport do you hold - British (UK) or Irish (Republic of Ireland).

British passport holders receiving UK state pensions can obtain state medical cover in their residence overseas with the S1 card.

However if you are Irish, I doubt that this applies to you.
Thanks for the reply, we have both passports, however are British expired in 2011 and we haven't renewed.

Yeah it just more the info about non routine treatment in UK, I'll post some links to this that relates to UK state pension holders
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markmccarron
Thanks for the reply, we have both passports, however are British expired in 2011 and we haven't renewed.

Yeah it just more the info about non routine treatment in UK, I'll post some links to this that relates to UK state pension holders
The OP can renew his UK passport in Eire using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

"UK state pensioners who live elsewhere in the EEA will now have the same rights to NHS care as people who live in England. This applies to all pensioners who receive a UK state retirement pension and registered for healthcare in Europe with an S1 form."
Old Mar 16th 2017, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markmccarron

So, as British pensioners you apply for the S1 card and can then receive routine medical treatment in Ireland.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
So, as British pensioners you apply for the S1 card and can then receive routine medical treatment in Ireland.
I am not entitled to free medical card in Ireland because of my UK Pension. As I am subject to Irish Social Security because of my Irish Pension which results in a means test which makes me not qualify. If i received just a UK Pension only in Ireland, I would Qualify, See Below

"Entitlement under EU Regulations
If you are getting a social security pension from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, or if you are working and paying social insurance in one of these countries, you may qualify for a medical card under EU rules if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland.

You must not be subject to Irish social security legislation. This means that you must not be in receipt of a contributory Irish social welfare payment or be working in Ireland and be liable to pay PRSi"

I am subject to Irish Social Security because of my Irish Pension which results in a means test which i don't qualify for

As i said i'm not interested in receiving free treatment in Ireland as I know I don't qualify.

My question is about getting Routine treatment in northern Ireland or UK as a UK State Pensioner.

I will try post more links as i get it
Old Mar 17th 2017, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know about the healthcare in Ireland and that if I was in receipt of just the UK pension while living here I would be entitled to a medical card, however I'm not because I have an Irish pension and am thus means tested and don't qualify.

If, due to the fact that you are in receipt of an Irish pension, you do not qualify for a medical card which affords you free medical treatment, then it sounds as though the S1 card is not applicable to you.

The S1 card is issued to British citizens receiving UK State pensions who retire to another EU state; and do not receive benefits/payments from that EU State.

This does not appear to be the case with you. You are living in your home country and receive State pensions from that home country,