Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK Pension - Living in Ireland

UK Pension - Living in Ireland

Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

millenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nice
Default Re: UK Pension - Living in Ireland

Hi Domino,

Many thanks for the advise, this company comes highly recomended and are regulated, I will keep you updated
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

kerrygreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Domino

I think you have misunderstood. I have already sorted my 2 UK pensions into QROPS and taken the cash. All hunky dory!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millenium
Hi Domino,

Many thanks for the advise, this company comes highly recomended and are regulated, I will keep you updated
Heh heh, you could almost be an employee with those glowing recommendations
Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerrygreen
Domino

I think you have misunderstood. I have already sorted my 2 UK pensions into QROPS and taken the cash. All hunky dory!
Kerry i dont think I have misunderstood, all I am saying is that having cashed in those pensions could be a serious mistake in the future when you have no earning capability to make up any shortfall

Just that I see it as short term gain leading to long term pain.
as you said
Don't trust anyone, don't believe anyone. Politicians, bankers and companies will screw the people without a second thought as has been proven.
just remember who is advising you falls into that category
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Nobody advised me. I gathered all the information myself, made my decision and found a company to do the transaction.

I just can't see the point of having a fairly irrelevantly small pension in 10 years time to having a decent lump sum now. Could be dead by then!!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

millenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nicemillenium is just really nice

Hi Mitzyboy,

No like i said i have done lots of homework and talking to people that have cashed in their own, in quite a few the same company came up as the one giving best advise and also one of the cheapest, some I spoke to quoted very high fees and seemed more interested in getting names of people I thought might be interested in their services.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:48 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerrygreen
Nobody advised me. I gathered all the information myself, made my decision and found a company to do the transaction.

I just can't see the point of having a fairly irrelevantly small pension in 10 years time to having a decent lump sum now. Could be dead by then!!
Well .... as usual thats all down to opinion. You need money when you get older, there's absolutely no doubt about that. Yes, you could be dead. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. But as things stand, I have pensions timed to come in at specified earlier periods (starting in 2 years), and they pay tax free lump sums also.

A decent lump sum now might get me 2 or 3 %, whereas the pension funds seem to be rising now at more than twice that thankfully. Investments have to be looked at long term, not in the short term. I'm sure some of us would have considered Hari Kari a few years ago when things were looking grim, but its beginning to look better again now.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

kerrygreen is clearly beyond persuasion but it would be interesting to know if he found a home for his €80k which has outpaced inflation

In the current climate paying down mortgages or loans would be the only sensible thing to do with such a windfall.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:38 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
kerrygreen is clearly beyond persuasion but it would be interesting to know if he found a home for his €80k which has outpaced inflation

In the current climate paying down mortgages or loans would be the only sensible thing to do with such a windfall.
Well, you get naf all in interest on accounts
Santander had a 3.15% loyalty tracker bond
Saga were doing 4.65% 5 year fixed savings

Last time I looked that was the best around
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

You just don't seem to understand my take on 'investing', or piss poor interest rates and leaving my money in institutions that I have no faith in.

I don't give a fig whether I get 2% or 3% or whether inflation will eat away at my money - like's too short.

But my main reason is that I think the whole shebang is going to fall around our ears in the not too distant future. So what's the point.

Not a view that many will share I admit, but it's mine
Old Jul 28th 2011, 10:49 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

I've sort of,kind of tried to follow this thread but I'm still at a loss to understand how a lump sum of pension money is transferred out of the UK and into you local bank account without attracting the interest of either the UK or your local tax authorities.

I certainly like the idea of not having to buy an annuity or leaving the balance of the pension in my estate when I die but I don't understand why, if this legislation has been in place for some time, more people don't do it.

I would certainly like to read the definitive article explaining how this can be done legally.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
I've sort of,kind of tried to follow this thread but I'm still at a loss to understand how a lump sum of pension money is transferred out of the UK and into you local bank account without attracting the interest of either the UK or your local tax authorities.

I certainly like the idea of not having to buy an annuity or leaving the balance of the pension in my estate when I die but I don't understand why, if this legislation has been in place for some time, more people don't do it.

I would certainly like to read the definitive article explaining how this can be done legally.
You DONT have to buy an annuity when your pension matures any more. As I said long ago, if you get a lump sum like that, it does NOT mean that it wil not be taxable, depending on the circumstances. If I get a UK tax free lump sum here in Spain, it is taxable in Spain
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Horus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura aboutHorus has a spectacular aura about

Starting to lose track of this so asked the new oracle - Wikipedia. Here's what they say
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

One of the cardinal rules of a QROPS is:

at least 70% of the funds transferred will be designated by the scheme manager for the purpose of providing the member with an income for life,

If you read the HMRC technical pages http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/rpsmm...sm14101030.htm this seminal and defining point is made time and time again and leaves little doubt that any scheme which violates this places it's members at risk of punitive taxation.

Notwithstanding the above, any conceivable argument supporting the lawfulness of a 100% payout cannot be considered until the QROPS has been in existence for the 5 year reporting period.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:05 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Horus
Starting to lose track of this so asked the new oracle - Wikipedia. Here's what they say
Interesting

satisfy the requirement that, at the time of the recognised transfer, the rules of the scheme provide that:
at least 70% of the funds transferred will be designated by the r scheme manager for the purpose of providing the member with an income for life,
the pension benefits (and any associated lump sum) payable to the member under the scheme, to the extent that they relate to the transfer, are payable no earlier than they would be if pension rule 1 in section 165 applied, and
membership of the scheme is open to persons resident in the country or territory in which it is established.
Pension rule 1 in section 165 provides that no payment of pension may be made before the day on which the member reaches normal minimum pension age, unless the ill-health condition was met immediately before the member became entitled to a pension under the scheme.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.