Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK Cars in Southern Ireland

UK Cars in Southern Ireland

Old May 2nd 2006, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

PugFace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Cars in Southern Ireland

I ahve been told by an Irish fella that i am allowed (as a EEC citizen) to bring in and register 1 car only from the UK and avoid paying VRT.

Is this true.

Irish car prices are a joke.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK Cars in Southern Ireland

Originally Posted by PugFace
I ahve been told by an Irish fella that i am allowed (as a EEC citizen) to bring in and register 1 car only from the UK and avoid paying VRT.

Is this true.

I would be surprised if this government excused anyone from paying VRT, they get you at every turn...!

If I am correct, your UK car would have to be re-registered as Irish within a certain time frame and then you pay VRT. Otherwise the system is open to a lot of abuse with people bringing cars down from the north etc, but check out www.oasis.gov.ie for the correct information.

Hope that helps.
Snowqueen
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all

Is this true.

Hi

You are allowed to import 1 vehicle to a person, but to avoid the tax, you must of owned the vehicle for 6 months or longer, got that from an Irish Solicitor.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:15 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Really ???
people frequently used to import cars from the south to drive in the north to save a few quid.
No where is more expensive than the UK.
Old May 5th 2006, 6:04 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Really ???
people frequently used to import cars from the south to drive in the north to save a few quid.
No where is more expensive than the UK.
I believe that UK residents can buy a car from Ireland not pay the 21% VRT that is included within the new price of a car in Ireland. If you deduct 21% from an Irish car, it is cheaper than a UK car. You can only buy brand new to get this saving and must be a non-resident and be buying for personal use.

Andrew
Old May 5th 2006, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all
Post Re: UK Cars in Southern Ireland

Originally Posted by andrew63
I believe that UK residents can buy a car from Ireland not pay the 21% VRT that is included within the new price of a car in Ireland. If you deduct 21% from an Irish car, it is cheaper than a UK car. You can only buy brand new to get this saving and must be a non-resident and be buying for personal use.

Andrew

this tells you what you need to know

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_count...tml?search=vrt
Old May 8th 2006, 6:28 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lulu41
this tells you what you need to know

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_count...tml?search=vrt
Thats for bringing cars in, I was referring to the poster who knows that UK citizens buy cars from Ireland.

Andrew
Old May 24th 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

john+avie is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this true.

Absolutely true! I`m afraid....If your uk car has been registered to ya for more than 6 months no problem.... if not, then a 28% tax is enforced. So dont buy a new one now then go to Ireland. It has to be owned by you in the uk for at least 6 months....hope this is of use. All the best,John
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:42 pm
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john+avie
Absolutely true! I`m afraid....If your uk car has been registered to ya for more than 6 months no problem.... if not, then a 28% tax is enforced. So dont buy a new one now then go to Ireland. It has to be owned by you in the uk for at least 6 months....hope this is of use. All the best,John
Not only owned, but 'on the raod' taxed and insured. That's how they caught us years ago
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

aconsidine is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: UK Cars in Southern Ireland

I have a quick question regarding the above but slightly different. I am not getting very consistent advice out of the Revenue so I was hoping somebody here could help. I will be travelling to Ireland around the end of this year for around 6 - 12 months for work. I will be staying there temporarily and I will remain a UK resident. I would like to bring my UK registered car over with me for this period of time. I have had the car for more then 6 months, so there is no issue there, but it is on finance, so I wont be able to re-register the vehicle in Ireland. I would like to know whether it is going to be possible to drive the vehicle in Ireland with UK plates with the knowledge that the car will be returning to the UK.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Andrew
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:47 pm
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aconsidine
I have a quick question regarding the above but slightly different. I am not getting very consistent advice out of the Revenue so I was hoping somebody here could help. I will be travelling to Ireland around the end of this year for around 6 - 12 months for work. I will be staying there temporarily and I will remain a UK resident. I would like to bring my UK registered car over with me for this period of time. I have had the car for more then 6 months, so there is no issue there, but it is on finance, so I wont be able to re-register the vehicle in Ireland. I would like to know whether it is going to be possible to drive the vehicle in Ireland with UK plates with the knowledge that the car will be returning to the UK.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Andrew
Not sure if it has changed, but it used to be that you could keep the car for a year and not get bothered. Don't want to scare you, but I do know of someone who got pulled over on the 366th day, and had his car taken away from him. Cost him more that the car was worth to get it back.
Depends where you are and where you are from (he was from the north )
Safest thing is go take it home periodically, like if you go back for Xmas or holidays. Then, technically, the 'clock' gets reset.
Not sure your insuranve will like it though, usually they set a 90 day limit, EU or not.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:11 am
I don't re Member

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew
I did just that a few years ago myself. Car wasn't on finance and I had owned for >2 years but as I was only to be there for 9 months, I saw no reason to re-register the car.
I did write to the Revenue and got confirmation from them that this was OK and carried that letter with me in case I got stopped.
Getting Insurance was difficult. Couldn't get from the UK but managed to get from an Irish broker in the end and needed that Revenue letter for their records.

Andrew
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: UK Cars in Southern Ireland

Thanks for the info guys. Definitely starting to make better sense now. I have tried ringing the Revenue for two days (no answer) and have emailed twice (again no answer), so will give writing them a letter a go. How long did it take them to reply? Thanks again!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Looks like I am running into the same difficulty with insurance companies here in the UK! Any chance you can remember the name of the Irish insurance broker who insured the UK registered car? Was it a lot more expensive then normal UK insurance?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

paulbds is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like I am running into the same difficulty with insurance companies here in the UK! Any chance you can remember the name of the Irish insurance broker who insured the UK registered car? Was it a lot more expensive then normal UK insurance?

Thanks again!
I used Prudential Insurance when I worked in Ireland

Transferred no claims too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.