UK car in Ireland

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

jenny-laurel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK car in Ireland

Hello everyone,

Just moved to this beautiful country from the UK and though we have a house here we are still legally resident in the UK and will be returning there in a years time albeit for a few weeks.
My car is registered, taxed, insured and has a UK mot.
How long can I drive my car in Ireland ?
I have checked the websites but they are all very confusing.

Thank you very much for any information.
Best wishes to all
Jenny
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car in Ireland

Originally Posted by jenny-laurel
Hello everyone,

Just moved to this beautiful country from the UK and though we have a house here we are still legally resident in the UK and will be returning there in a years time albeit for a few weeks.

Best wishes to all
Jenny
Temporary Exemptions for Foreign Registered Vehicles

Private Use

2. What Conditions Apply

Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:
  • The vehicle must have been acquired with all the appropriate taxes paid and these must not have been exempted or refunded in any way. The standard registration plates in use in the domestic market of a country are normally accepted as evidence of this.
  • The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.
  • The vehicle may not be disposed of or hired out in the State or lent to a State resident.
  • The period of time that the vehicle is in the State does not exceed 12 months.
  • A longer period may apply where a person is on a task of definite duration in the State.
3. What is meant by "State resident" and "non-resident"?

A "State resident" is a person whose normal residence is in the Republic of Ireland and a "non-resident" is anyone whose normal residence is outside the State.
Normal Residence means:
  • the place where you usually live, for at least 185 days in the year, because of occupational and personal ties
  • if you have no occupational ties, the place where you usually live for at least 185 days in the year, because of personal ties.
  • if your occupational ties are in a different country from your personal ties then the country of your personal ties is taken as your normal residence if you return there regularly (i.e. for most of your non-working days).
  • A person who is normally resident in the State but who lives outside the State primarily for the purpose of attending a school or university is regarded as a State resident.
  • The rules regarding normal residency are in line with the EU Directives in this regard, especially Directive 83/182/EEC.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenny-laurel
Hello everyone,

Best wishes to all
Jenny
Read Moses post, you would seem to be an Irish resident, never mind you own a house in England you do NOT live there, so you should get it registered in Ireland ASAP.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Read Moses post, you would seem to be an Irish resident, never mind you own a house in England you do NOT live there, so you should get it registered in Ireland ASAP.
Yes and in many cases the UK car insurance is not valid if they haven't been informed. You are usually only covered for up to 30 days abroad (holidays, short visit) but if you are resident in Ireland the UK car insurance won't pay if something happens.