Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Surinder Singh Problem; non-EU spouse over staying visa

Surinder Singh Problem; non-EU spouse over staying visa

Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

AlexanderA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surinder Singh Problem; non-EU spouse over staying visa

I am a British citizen and my wife is from Ukraine, Donetsk (so you can understand why our situation is more urgent than we would like). We are living in Ireland now and have a place to rent, and I have a job. However, the border guard only gave her 30 days on her short stay C visa, rather than the maximum of 90 days. Basically, I will only have all the documents ready for her to apply for residency using the EU Form 1 around the time her visa expires, and the application process takes about a month in itself.

Basically, my question is, does anybody know if my wife is allowed to over stay her visa while she applies for residency? We're very worried, because it is obviously not an ideal time to be sending her home again, to apply for another visa to come back out, and then apply for residency.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading this.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Surinder Singh Problem; non-EU spouse over staying visa

Originally Posted by AlexanderA
I am a British citizen and my wife is from Ukraine, Donetsk (so you can understand why our situation is more urgent than we would like). We are living in Ireland now and have a place to rent, and I have a job. However, the border guard only gave her 30 days on her short stay C visa, rather than the maximum of 90 days. Basically, I will only have all the documents ready for her to apply for residency using the EU Form 1 around the time her visa expires, and the application process takes about a month in itself.

Basically, my question is, does anybody know if my wife is allowed to over stay her visa while she applies for residency? We're very worried, because it is obviously not an ideal time to be sending her home again, to apply for another visa to come back out, and then apply for residency.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading this.
Din't even know we had "Border Guards".
Old Sep 13th 2014, 9:12 am
Just Joined

robsters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure there is EU law about people allowing to stay longer if there is a war in there home country, your best off seeking legal or advice from CAB or embassy sorry i cannot help further
Old Sep 13th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

I'm not really sure, but you could email: [email protected] (EEA section) to ask for clarification.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Cameron326 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also considering this route and would be curious to answers.