SS route to Ireland

Old Apr 17th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

TomasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SS route to Ireland

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I been researching the SS route for a few months now. My wife and I finally decided to go to Dublin next month. We are nervous and would love some reassurance or tips. First about us
I am an American and she is British. We have been married for 3 years. At the moment I am in the UK on a 6 month non visa stay. We are nervous about when we arrive at dublin airport. What prove should we bring? What should we say to the immigration officer when he ask us the purpose of our visit? Should we say that my wife is here to live and work and i am accompanying her?Also I been looking for apartments online for when we arrive and been having no luck because viewings are required. It would be great if someone on this forum could help with our search for a place to stay. I looked on every site I could. How easy is it to find a job there? We were thinking about getting waiting/bartending jobs .

On our way back to the UK is where out greatest concerns lie. Once we apply for a family permit and recieve it. Will we get hassled by UK officers and would they be able to reject me from coming into the UK?

Sorry about all the questions, its just that we want to be sure that everything will go as smoothly as possible. Also we are willing to stay in Ireland if we like it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and hopefully I get some responses soon
Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SS route to Ireland

Hi,

I'm also embarking on the SS route to Ireland with my Filipina fiancé so I know how stressful and uncertain this can be even though it's only been a couple of weeks since we found out about this possible avenue to the UK!

I'm a UK citizen but I am not earning enough to qualify for the UK spouse visa directly. I'm in the same boat as a whole load of people! This route is our only opportunity of being able to live with my future wife in my own country. Sounds weird saying that!

I don't have any advice and guidance from my own experiences yet but I can point you a good link which I'll add below...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/162770836/...gh-for-Newbies

Hopefully this will give you a good start in your move to Ireland and that you'll be successful in moving on to the UK after the appropriate time spent living and working in Ireland!

All the best :-)
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Cardali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SS route to Ireland

I'm in the same boat, buddy!

I'm lucky to have had a friend go the SS route. It took him 4 months from leave to return.

They were married in the USA, then they came to England and flew from London-Dublin together. When entering you cannot mention Surinder Singh. Just say you and your partner are moving to Ireland together. My friend made sure to have a copy of their marriage certificate and the EU treaty law with relevant parts highlighted. He got a 3 month stamp at the border.

As far as I know they stayed in a B&B for a few days until they found a place, whilst also looking for work. Finding a job should depend on what skills you have. Working a minimum wage job part time will be enough if you have some savings (this is what they did). Once his EEA wife was working, he applied for an extension on his 3 month permit, in case they were stuck there longer.

The quicker she finds a job and a place to live, the quicker you can apply for your family permit. As far as I know (from what my friend told me) he had to wait 3 months before he was able to work, which makes saving all the more important.

Coming back to the UK is a case of applying for the family permit and getting it. Once you have it, you can come back to the UK. The family permit allows this, and once you're both back you will be able to apply using form EEA2 which will allow you 5 years in the UK. Once those 5 years are up, you'll be able to apply to stay forever. As far as I know or can see, if you have your family permit from your wife working in Ireland they won't be able to refuse you.

Last edited by Cardali; Apr 28th 2015 at 1:14 am. Reason: Updated for clarity