Reload this Page >

South African married to UK citizen - relocating to Ireland

South African married to UK citizen - relocating to Ireland

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Shay_2403 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question South African married to UK citizen - relocating to Ireland

Hi Everyone,

I am a South African Citizen and my husband is a British citizen. We are looking at relocating to Ireland.

I would like to know if anyone can help me answer the below questions as we are not entirely too sure of the processes involved.

1. As a South African citizen, I do not need a visa to enter Ireland. Will I be able to work immediately (while I apply for the residence card) hoping that my husband will be working and exercising his EU treaty rights?

2. A few sources have stated that the residence card can take up to 6 months to process, while South Africans are only allowed in the country for a maximum of 3 months without a visa. What should I do to ensure that I remain in the country for the duration of this application?

3. Once the residence card has been issued, does that allow myself (South African) free movement within the EU?

Thank you, your help and answers with this is highly appreciated!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Warm Regads,
Shay_2403
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South African married to UK citizen - relocating to Ireland

Can't answer your first two questions but on question 3, no, the residence card does not give you free movement in the EU without your husband also moving to EU country to live and work.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Can't answer your first two questions but on question 3, no, the residence card does not give you free movement in the EU without your husband also moving to EU country to live and work.
Would Irish residency card allow free movement to UK ?

If already in Ireland with residency card, would that make it easier for non-EEA spouse to travel ( not live) in EU countries ?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Would Irish residency card allow free movement to UK ?

If already in Ireland with residency card, would that make it easier for non-EEA spouse to travel ( not live) in EU countries ?
The residency card does not give you free movement to live in the UK

Yes, you can travel (visit) with the residency card to other parts of the EU if accompanied by your spouse/partner.