British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   soda bread without buttermilk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/soda-bread-without-buttermilk-494340/)

Grace O Malley Nov 16th 2007 1:29 pm

soda bread without buttermilk

Cant get buttermilk in Arab Emirates, what else could you use for soda bread?

Jock04 Nov 16th 2007 2:36 pm

Re: soda bread without buttermilk

Didn't like to think of you going without, a bit of Googling came up with this:
Let me know if it works!

Yeast breads take time to rise and require kneading that is disagreeable to my back. This led to the quest for the perfect Irish soda bread, something I have had and enjoyed. My husband found the really perfect recipe, because this one contains no buttermilk, which my system insists is pathogenic. We adapted it further into this version.

Baking soda is as effective a leaven as yeast, but doesn’t have the sweet taste yeast imparts; instead, it has a pleasant sodic taste. For people with health issues that make yeast problematic, soda breads are perfect. I like them because they are easiest on my stomach. I tried to research the virtues of various leavens, and I learned something about myself: I have no interest in food science.

And so I made a loaf of this traditional Irish soda bread, and it was so simple that I thought I was getting away with something, so I made another while it was in the oven and still had lots of time to read and write emails before it came out. First I made the original white version, then I became very bold and invented the black version. Both passed my own taste tests with flying colors.

Irish Soda Bread–White Version

Combine:

4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1-3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Stir; it very quickly becomes dough. Form a round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Cut slits in top. Bake 40 minutes at 400° F.

Grace O Malley Nov 16th 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jock04 (Post 5562688)
Didn't like to think of you going without, a bit of Googling came up with this:
Let me know if it works!

Yeast breads take time to rise and require kneading that is disagreeable to my back. This led to the quest for the perfect Irish soda bread, something I have had and enjoyed. My husband found the really perfect recipe, because this one contains no buttermilk, which my system insists is pathogenic. We adapted it further into this version.

Baking soda is as effective a leaven as yeast, but doesn’t have the sweet taste yeast imparts; instead, it has a pleasant sodic taste. For people with health issues that make yeast problematic, soda breads are perfect. I like them because they are easiest on my stomach. I tried to research the virtues of various leavens, and I learned something about myself: I have no interest in food science.

And so I made a loaf of this traditional Irish soda bread, and it was so simple that I thought I was getting away with something, so I made another while it was in the oven and still had lots of time to read and write emails before it came out. First I made the original white version, then I became very bold and invented the black version. Both passed my own taste tests with flying colors.

Irish Soda Bread–White Version

Combine:

4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1-3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Stir; it very quickly becomes dough. Form a round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Cut slits in top. Bake 40 minutes at 400° F.

You dont have your own recipe?

Ha

Tnaks

Not sure re the vinegar though?:huh:

Miss Eck Nov 19th 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5562519)
Cant get buttermilk in Arab Emirates, what else could you use for soda bread?

Do you really make it here?

It's one of those things I love about going home. Freshly baked is the best :thumbsup: Spinneys do lots of different types of breads so I am happy enough.

Grayling Nov 19th 2007 9:39 am

Buttermilk substitutes are fairly easy to make and usually involve some form of milk/cream and an acid such as vinegar......try a google search.

Soda bread rises because of the reaction of baking soda with an acidic compound (such as buttermilk or substitute).

G

Grayling Nov 19th 2007 9:41 am

Look here for starters:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/showtip.php?idx=250

G

Grace O Malley Nov 19th 2007 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5573663)
Do you really make it here?

It's one of those things I love about going home. Freshly baked is the best :thumbsup: Spinneys do lots of different types of breads so I am happy enough.

Hi Miss Eck

Have never made in my life?

But i got a craving for it and i must have it so i was gonna make but then realised u cant get buttermilk here

SO i thought maybe i can subsitute hence my post

Jock says with vinegar. Think he had been drinking a bit of the black stuff myself!

Grace O Malley Nov 19th 2007 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 5573702)

Thanks will take a look:thumbup:

Miss Eck Nov 19th 2007 10:38 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5573799)
Hi Miss Eck

Have never made in my life?

But i got a craving for it and i must have it so i was gonna make but then realised u cant get buttermilk here

SO i thought maybe i can subsitute hence my post

Jock says with vinegar. Think he had been drinking a bit of the black stuff myself!

I was wondering .. I didn't have you down as the good housewife :D

I attempted it once many years ago and it came out all flat and soggy!

Jock04 Nov 19th 2007 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5573799)
Hi Miss Eck

Hoi!!! :mad:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I said cider vinegar, which isn't quite the same thing.:p
Agus... I copied it from someone elses' website anyway :p
Agus.......Graylings post would seem to agree :p

Agus...... you're right about the black stuff, but that wasn't till after I had posted!:p

Anyway, I bet the notion wears off & you don't even try it! :D

Grace O Malley Nov 19th 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jock04 (Post 5574468)
Hoi!!! :stuff, but that wasn't till after I had posted!:p

Anyway, I bet the notion wears off & you don't even try it! :D

You called?:lol:

Notion not worn off yet, its my big plan for the weekend, although it could possibly wear off by then

So how is Connemara today?

Grayling Nov 19th 2007 8:31 pm

I was so inspired by this thread that I made some Wheaten bread this afternoon:D

......and very nice it is too.:thumbsup:

G

Jock04 Nov 20th 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5575192)
So how is Connemara today?

It's actually nice & bright today, bleedin' cold though. Had the flu for 2 weeks now - it's everwhere, and very hard to shake off.

Vegetable soup & soda bread for me tonight - made with buttermilk! :D

Londonuck Nov 20th 2007 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jock04 (Post 5577839)
It's actually nice & bright today, bleedin' cold though. Had the flu for 2 weeks now - it's everwhere, and very hard to shake off.

Vegetable soup & soda bread for me tonight - made with buttermilk! :D

...and 12 pints of Guinness.

Jock04 Nov 20th 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 5578201)
...and 12 pints of Guinness.

I seldom go over the gallon on weeknights.

12's easy at the weekend though :)

This flu bug's a real downer, but I must admit a few pints of porter helps. Funny enough, cans just don't weave the same magic.