Reload this Page >

Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda
wouldnt it be great if life were that simple. We have three young children to consider here so having made the decision to uproot them from their comfort zone wasnt one we took lightly, we simply couldnt possibly turn around 6 mths later and go back. We have given ourselves a two year time frame and if we feel its not going to get any better then we decided we would look at things again but its too soon to make a rash decision just yet. Its not as simple for us to go back home either, cos we left debts behind us, we had a car that we had to return to the finance company and two business loans that we had personally guaranteed without knowing at the time. We also have a mortgage to pay and wouldnt be in a position to repay the mortgage with the way things were going. my OH hadnt worked for over two years and his social welfare was much smaller than what you have quoted here. Im shocked that you get so much. We werent able to live on what he was getting, the only reason we could was because we got help from my parents. It was an impossible situation towards the end and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. We wouldnt even have been able to afford to send our daughter to secondary school, let alone to college in a few years time. We couldnt afford the books, uniform, etc. like I say if only it were that simple. We are not in a position to just turn around and go back, in fact even if we both really wanted to we wouldnt even be able to afford the air fare. i have been told that it takes at least two years to get on your feet here having given up everything and had to start all over again, we had to buy everything when we came including beds, furniture, kitchen utensils, the lot. We only shipped clothes and kids stuff. We rented out home in Ireland out fully furnished but we couldnt get the rent to cover the mortgage cos of where we lived. It was impossible to find renters to pay anymore than 650.00 euros per month and our mortgage was 900.00 per month. So thats our situation. We are here now, paying 1500 dollars a month rent, and the rest goes on bills but we have a reason to get up in the morning and our kids have some kind of future to look forward to. I have been told that there is nothing going to change back home for a long time and i have many friends in situations that they cannot see themselves getting out of. I also have friends who have committed suicide due to depression from debt, etc so i really think deep down that altho its difficult for us right now it has to get better and it has to be better than worrying about the next letter in through the letter box that you cannot afford to pay. We are going to give it the two year timescale and hopefully things will improve. i agree that there is more to life than mere survival but right now thats all we can hope for. Our kids have to come first and everything else second to that. I also agree it would be great to be at home with the support of family, etc. but we didnt have much of that so unfortunately that wasnt something that wouldve kept us at home, the one thing i miss the most is my dear mother who is now left back in ireland on her own with no grandchildren to see growing up in front of her but hopefully she will come over here in the Summer and visit. She is not too old to do that thankfully. So thats my story really, not much of a choice Im afraid. you are a lucky person if you are getting that much money on social welfare cos i really dont think that we would be in the same boat having had two years of a nightmare trying to fight for just the basics from social welfare so count yourself lucky. thanks again for all the advice, but this is the situation we have to live with for now and have to make the best of it. i pray every day that things will get better and what doesnt break me will only make me stronger.
You have an excellent outlook and I agree it takes 2 years to settle, some will say 3 years. Things could be so much worse, you all have your health and each other. I know my kids are the ones that make my days worth fighting for. I have the guilt also of breaking the bond my kids had with their nana, who is a widow and all on her own but I had to do what was best for us. Sometimes in life you have to be cruel to be kind. My mam understands that it was the best choice for us to leave. She was broken hearted and it was one of the saddest days of my life when we had to say goodbye to her at the airport and watch her and my kids and me all crying our eyes out, Her whole body was shaking with sadness and upset and those eyes of hers were so sad, I think I cried the whole way here on the plane. Its a very hard move to make and even harder when the economy forces you out of the country in search of a better life. Does your mam skype? I hope she gets out to see you all. We are going to give it another year or 2 and in the meantime, thanks to my mam paying for the kids airfares we are going back for a holiday. Best of luck Linda, thanks for posting and sharing your story
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
Linda your post pulled at my heartstrings So much for you to deal with on top of a new country, new culture, new lifestyle etc.... Your boss sounds like a right aul shite. I really feel for you having to both get 2nd jobs. Money defo makes the world go round. I had young kids when we moved here and I just could not settle. We had brought a large some of money with us and were pushed into buying a house we didnt really like because we were afraid that the banks were going to collapse and we would lose everything. We also have plenty of weeks where my OH gets paid and then a few days later we have next to nothing. I am not working and dont intend to as the childcare for 3 kids would be nearly the same as what I would earn. We have OH's family here but they havnt even brought the kids out to the park or to the shop for an icecream since we have been here. They dont really like kids so have never shown an interest. Really drives me insane.

When I got here i spent at least 6 months very unhappy so we decided to go back for a holiday. I couldnt believe how bad things were in ireland and that was in 2009. I had to get back on that plane and return here and hope things would get better for me. I figured that we could go back for another 3 years at the most and things would be better in Ireland by then. We are nearly here 4 years and its no better in Ireland. I was so sad that my oldest was learning to count in Maori and not in gealic but I slowly came around to it and was glad eventually that at least he was learning another language. I suffered such bad homesickness that I went to see a life coach and she really did help me move on. I didnt cope very well with the bugs etc... I woke up one night and went into the bathroom and saw a cockroach on my toothbrush. I went through about 4 different sprays before I found something that stopped the mozzies from eating me alive. The food was so different, nothing like irish food. I laughed when my OH suggested we eat pumpkin for dinner, to me that was something we carved out at halloween. I started homebaking as I couldnt justify paying $10 for a cake. I became sick of people telling me to give it more time. I was giving time, time. Our first winter here was shit. Our house had no heating or double glazing so we had to get a gas fire in and that only kept one room warm at a time. We have since had to get heaters in bedrooms and its a bit better but I dread the winters coming again. Our electricity bill is $300-$400 a month. In our first house here, tablets would crush into nothing when you picked them up it was so cold.

I feel that I have given it my best shot here after this long now and I do feel stuck here til we are in a better position to go back with savings etc... A holiday there is $17,000 to $20,000 so its not a holiday you would save for every year or even every 3 years. I hate the location of this country. I havnt seen my mam in almost 2 years and my brother in almost 3 years. I have missed out on his kids growing up. Thankfully a year ago my mam went to a computer course and learned how to skype. This was a big step for her as she had trouble working out the microwave.

I finally made a very good friend, a few infact and because of them I am alot happier here. There are alot of expats here, english, south african, aussies etc.. and most of them have settled and done well and all have big houses and nice lifestyles. I have had some bad days over christmas and birthdays and that little battle that I have goin on in my head is a nightmare. I had a baby here too and that was so hard going through it all without my mam. Nobody in Ireland has met my baby and thats so hard. I have 1 friend so down about the recession as she is now on a payfreeze and has to work so much harder making her days longer. My brother, who lives in clondalkin is down to 3 days a week and he is sick of it all too. I also have other friends that are not really effected at all by it. I just keep reminding myself that it was the best thing to do for my family. It would be very hard on OH if he was at home all day long for years and years. I think he could handle 1 or 2 years at the most but 5-10 years would be too much, even with kids keeping him/us busy. We have friends leaving here in a few weeks and I am so envious of them heading back. We also have friends moving out here next tuesday because things are so bad in Ireland. Another irish family we know that moved here in July last year, hate it here and are trying to get a job in the usa. They dont want to return to Ireland.

I'm glad we came as it has been a great adventure for us, and my OH was able to spend some time with his family, even if they are a useless bunch of you know what.................. I got to spend time with my kids while they are young and need me and I have learned alot since I left Ireland. It is better to have tried something than to sit and wonder what it would of been like had you not tried something.

You are doin whats best for you family right now. In years to come you will be glad that at least you tried, who knows you might start to enjoy it more, the economy will pick up at some point and you might be able to return to Ireland if you still feel the same. I really hope things improve for you and I admire your determination PM me if you ever need to vent. I have trawled through hundreds of posts on here and we are not alone when it comes to settling in another country. Lastly, be kind to yourself, dont be too hard on yourself
Thx for above comments. its good to read when you are feeling down, and helps to put things into perspective. Honeybunny, your story is also pulling at my heart strings and i feel so sorry for you having not seen your mam for over two years and your brother for over 3. Thats the hardest isnt it. At least with facebook and skype we can always keep in touch with friends but not as easy when it comes to parents. My Dad died when I was pregnant with my eldest daughter so my mam took over her upbringing in a big way, as a way of helping her deal with Dads death i guess. She is a huge missing piece in our lives and my 13 yr old daughter misses her soooo much it kills me sometimes. I totally understand what you are going through and i too hope that one day things get better. it is good that you have friends and good ones, cos that makes things easier. I have one person I can talk to but the friends ive met here are not the sort of friends i can go to with my problems cos i just dont know them well enough yet. i try to keep positive as much as possible but i cry myself asleep a lot and i get upset in front of my 13 yr old all the time. She keeps me going cos she is my support and rock. the boys dont see me like that so thats good. if my 10 yr old saw me upset he would end up upset too and wanting to go home. For the most part they are happy and i know the enjoy school here, even tho its a long day on them but i tell them we are on a big adventure and that we can go home anytime if we want to, and so far thats working. I really admire you for staying as long as you have and it just goes to show how strong you must be as a person. Likewise if you ever wish to pm me i would love to talk to you. Life is a bitch and sometimes its easy to think that life is greener on the other side but the last two years before we came here certainly were pretty unbearable. At least we have a reason to get up here and the only thing i wish is that i could have stayed at home for the first few months (for the kids sake) but i dont have that option. i have to work because my OH's income is so low. its certainly a killer to think that we are both highly skilled people and earning shite wages but thats the joy of living in Manitoba im afraid. I know things have to get better and i pray that i can get the money together to go home before next xmas. I hope that things get better for both of us. it just has to. thank you so much for your kind words and hopefully we can support each other through this as returning to ireland is just not an option for either of us really. Speak soon, x
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:45 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Linda your post pulled at my heartstrings So much for you to deal with on top of a new country, new culture, new lifestyle etc.... Your boss sounds like a right aul shite. I really feel for you having to both get 2nd jobs. Money defo makes the world go round. I had young kids when we moved here and I just could not settle. We had brought a large some of money with us and were pushed into buying a house we didnt really like because we were afraid that the banks were going to collapse and we would lose everything. We also have plenty of weeks where my OH gets paid and then a few days later we have next to nothing. I am not working and dont intend to as the childcare for 3 kids would be nearly the same as what I would earn. We have OH's family here but they havnt even brought the kids out to the park or to the shop for an icecream since we have been here. They dont really like kids so have never shown an interest. Really drives me insane.

When I got here i spent at least 6 months very unhappy so we decided to go back for a holiday. I couldnt believe how bad things were in ireland and that was in 2009. I had to get back on that plane and return here and hope things would get better for me. I figured that we could go back for another 3 years at the most and things would be better in Ireland by then. We are nearly here 4 years and its no better in Ireland. I was so sad that my oldest was learning to count in Maori and not in gealic but I slowly came around to it and was glad eventually that at least he was learning another language. I suffered such bad homesickness that I went to see a life coach and she really did help me move on. I didnt cope very well with the bugs etc... I woke up one night and went into the bathroom and saw a cockroach on my toothbrush. I went through about 4 different sprays before I found something that stopped the mozzies from eating me alive. The food was so different, nothing like irish food. I laughed when my OH suggested we eat pumpkin for dinner, to me that was something we carved out at halloween. I started homebaking as I couldnt justify paying $10 for a cake. I became sick of people telling me to give it more time. I was giving time, time. Our first winter here was shit. Our house had no heating or double glazing so we had to get a gas fire in and that only kept one room warm at a time. We have since had to get heaters in bedrooms and its a bit better but I dread the winters coming again. Our electricity bill is $300-$400 a month. In our first house here, tablets would crush into nothing when you picked them up it was so cold.

I feel that I have given it my best shot here after this long now and I do feel stuck here til we are in a better position to go back with savings etc... A holiday there is $17,000 to $20,000 so its not a holiday you would save for every year or even every 3 years. I hate the location of this country. I havnt seen my mam in almost 2 years and my brother in almost 3 years. I have missed out on his kids growing up. Thankfully a year ago my mam went to a computer course and learned how to skype. This was a big step for her as she had trouble working out the microwave.

I finally made a very good friend, a few infact and because of them I am alot happier here. There are alot of expats here, english, south african, aussies etc.. and most of them have settled and done well and all have big houses and nice lifestyles. I have had some bad days over christmas and birthdays and that little battle that I have goin on in my head is a nightmare. I had a baby here too and that was so hard going through it all without my mam. Nobody in Ireland has met my baby and thats so hard. I have 1 friend so down about the recession as she is now on a payfreeze and has to work so much harder making her days longer. My brother, who lives in clondalkin is down to 3 days a week and he is sick of it all too. I also have other friends that are not really effected at all by it. I just keep reminding myself that it was the best thing to do for my family. It would be very hard on OH if he was at home all day long for years and years. I think he could handle 1 or 2 years at the most but 5-10 years would be too much, even with kids keeping him/us busy. We have friends leaving here in a few weeks and I am so envious of them heading back. We also have friends moving out here next tuesday because things are so bad in Ireland. Another irish family we know that moved here in July last year, hate it here and are trying to get a job in the usa. They dont want to return to Ireland.

I'm glad we came as it has been a great adventure for us, and my OH was able to spend some time with his family, even if they are a useless bunch of you know what.................. I got to spend time with my kids while they are young and need me and I have learned alot since I left Ireland. It is better to have tried something than to sit and wonder what it would of been like had you not tried something.

You are doin whats best for you family right now. In years to come you will be glad that at least you tried, who knows you might start to enjoy it more, the economy will pick up at some point and you might be able to return to Ireland if you still feel the same. I really hope things improve for you and I admire your determination PM me if you ever need to vent. I have trawled through hundreds of posts on here and we are not alone when it comes to settling in another country. Lastly, be kind to yourself, dont be too hard on yourself
Ask yourself this, is your quality of life better now than when you lived in Ireland or worse? Is your work/life balance better now or before? The truth is that you were better off in Ireland. I think you made a mistake emigrating. And I think in your heart of hearts you know you did. This is the problem people face when they marry someone who is culturally different. It works for your Husband, but it will never work for you. I was raised on boxsty, colcannon, coddle, champ, bacon and cabbage. I would never emigrate anywhere I could not get that food. It would not be the same listening to the Foggy Dew by Luke Kelly on youtube eating pumpkin for dinner. You are learning a hard lesson. Before you emigrated you should have done your homework, the basics like food, climate, living costs. I have come to Ireland twice a year every year of my life, so I knew what I was getting into. It never ceases to amaze me how people gamble their lives with little or no research. I planned to live in Ireland 1 year before I made the move, so I had enough savings in the bank to support me for 2 years. I would regard this as the minimum preparation one should do prior to emigrating. It really saddens me when you read these tales of woe from people who have emigrated, and moan about how its not Ireland. You might call me old fashioned, but I am a great believer in marrying your own. It would break my heart if a child of mine was learning Maori not Gaelic. You know what really matters more than the economy? Seeing your children grow up knowing their Gran before its too late. I don't think you can out a price on that. Maybe I have old school values, but family is more important to me than anything. You should think about that yourself.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Jan 4th 2012 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
Running away from debt is never a good reason for emigrating. To be honest with you, I think you have made a real mess of things. You should have declared yourself bankrupt and allowed your house to be repossessed. At least that would write off the bulk of your debt. It sounds like you bought a house you could not afford. Now it is in negative equity what is the point of continuing to service the mortgage on it? You would be better off writing it off. Bankruptcy lasts 12 years in Ireland. It is unlikely you would ever get a mortgage again anyway, due to your poor credit history. It sounds like you bought during the Celtic Tiger boom at premium market value. You are not alone in doing this. I think your debts are the real reason you are afraid to come back to Ireland. You can't face up to them. One should never emigrate when you are broke. Definitely not when you are broke, and you owe money too. It will all catch up with you in the end. I think it would do you good to come back and sort the mess out. It will be a load off your minds. Running away from your Irish debts isn't the way to start again.
To put things into the right perspective here......we did not run away from the debts. What i said is that we left a lot of debt behind. The debts we left behind are all being paid back. The bank loans on a monthly repayment plan through our still open irish bank account and the car finance company are currently sorting out the difference between what the car was sold for and the difference remaining. that too will be paid for over a period of time. As for the mortgage, we built the house in 2001 and we did not over borrow. We worked hard all our lives and we got a mortgage that was totally affordable until both of us ended up unemployed for two years. We are currently on an interest only rate with the mortgage company and the renters are paying this to us so we are not in a negative situation with our house, in fact we have never even missed one payment. We didnt run away from our debts like a lot of other people do, my husband paid all his suppliers in full before we left and the banks like i say agreed a re-structuring plan with us and we have never missed a payment on this either. I am certainly not afraid to go home but what i am afraid of is going home and not being in a position to pay my bills at all with no income coming in whatsoever. At least we both have jobs here and we are paying our bills which is certainly not what we were able to do in ireland over the past two years. thanks for your vote of confidence and your comment that i have made a total mess of things. Thats very uplifting. You sound to me like someone who enjoys living on welfare and scrounging off the government, however i am the sort of person who likes to have a reason to get up in the morning, as is my OH. perhaps you should keep your very vile opinions to yourself in future. I know i am not perfect and i certainly havent always made the right decisions but one decision that i have made is to make sure i dont listen to someone like you who is far too quick to condemn.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Ask yourself this, is your quality of life better now than when you lived in Ireland or worse? Is your work/life balance better now or before? The truth is that you were better off in Ireland. I think you made a mistake emigrating. And I think in your heart of hearts you know you did. This is the problem people face when they marry someone who is culturally different. It works for your Husband, but it will never work for you. I was raised on boxsty, colcannon, coddle, champ, bacon and cabbage. I would never emigrate anywhere I could not get that food. It would not be the same listening to the Foggy Dew by Luke Kelly on youtube eating pumpkin for dinner. You are learning a hard lesson. Before you emigrated you should have done your homework, the basics like food, climate, living costs. I have come to Ireland twice a year every year of my life, so I knew what I was getting into. It never ceases to amaze me how people gamble their lives with little or no research. I planned to live in Ireland 1 year before I made the move, so I had enough savings in the bank to support me for 2 years. I would regard this as the minimum preparation one should do prior to emigrating. It really saddens me when you read these tales of woe from people who have emigrated, and moan about how its not Ireland. You might call me old fashioned, but I am a great believer in marrying your own. It would break my heart if a child of mine was learning Maori not Gaelic. You know what really matters more than the economy? Seeing your children grow up knowing their Gran before its too late. I don't think you can out a price on that. Maybe I have old school values, but family is more important to me than anything. You should think about that yourself.
Why dont YOU ask yourself is YOUR quality of life better or worse than when you lived in the uk? You are the one with no work therefore you have no balance. What would YOU know about marrying someone from a different country? YOU are alone (strange that) What would YOU know about children learning to speak in gaelic? You have none and probably didnt learn it yourself. What do YOU know about moving to the other side of the world? You moved 40 minutes on a plane away. Does your airfaire cost nearly $2500 per person for a trip back to the uk? I think not. Why in the name of god would anyone move somewhere to eat cabbage??? Listen to yourself talking, I've seen better stuff come out of a dogs backside.

People move to different countries for different reasons. Some for the adventure, some for a great opportunity and some because they have to. This particular part of the site is for people to talk about Ireland. The good and the bad. I am obviously not going to come on here and and talk about the nice things that New Zealand has to offer. Its not about New Zealand.

It takes guts to make a massive move like myself and Linda have done. We both want the best for our children. Sometimes its not about what we want and having narrow minded people like YOU sean, tell us that we should just give up and go back is just stupid. Only a FOOL goes to a country with no hope and no jobs and only a FOOL tells other people to do likewise. Maybe you should take a closer look at your own old school rules. Our children dont need grandparents, they need a stable life and parents that work and a country that can offer more than the dole and bacon and cabbage.

Sean you are in danger of being 'that man' so tread carefully on here, you cause way too many fights with people and I feel very sorry for you. You are entitled to your opinion but a bit of compassion goes a long way.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:06 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Please use new paragraphs, its so hard to read a big block of text!!

I spent the first 6 months of mine time in Canada waking up from nightmares thinking I was back in London.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Please use new paragraphs, its so hard to read a big block of text!!

I spent the first 6 months of mine time in Canada waking up from nightmares thinking I was back in London.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:42 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

You can do as much homework as you like, its never gonna prepare you for homesickness. What about your parents emigrating to England? When they did it, presumably back in the 50/60's, they might as well been going to Australia. I bet they were homesick, hence your nostalgic taste buds.

And mate, you obviously dont cook much. Most of things are made of potato.

P.S. I hate coddle. Saturday nights after the football results, i knew it was coming. Boiled sausages is just wrong.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

You can do as much homework as you like, its never gonna prepare you for homesickness. What about your parents emigrating to England? When they did it, presumably back in the 50/60's, they might as well been going to Australia. I bet they were homesick, hence your nostalgic taste buds.

P.S. I hate coddle. Saturday nights after the football results, i knew it was coming. Boiled sausages is just wrong.
Funny you say that, cause I lived the majority of my life in Ireland and I NEVER had a coddle in my life. Not a fan of sausages. Boiled sausages are so so wrong. We were brought up on all types of stews but never sausage. Think my mother had her fill of the sausage stews when she was growing up.

You are right londonuck, nothing prepares you for homesickness. This site is fantastic for those of us that suffer from it.

PS - I love a bit a potato - Its in the blood...............
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Funny you say that, cause I lived the majority of my life in Ireland and I NEVER had a coddle in my life. Not a fan of sausages. Boiled sausages are so so wrong. We were brought up on all types of stews but never sausage. Think my mother had her fill of the sausage stews when she was growing up.

You are right londonuck, nothing prepares you for homesickness. This site is fantastic for those of us that suffer from it.

PS - I love a bit a potato - Its in the blood...............
Well said!!!!! I too never ate coddle in my life. Hate sausages and stew is part of my upbringing, still do stews for the kids. How anyone can say being homesick after 6 months is a sign you should go back is a load of crap. Nobody can give in that quickly. If you are not homesick there is something wrong with you. Nobody can move to a new country and not feel some emotional attachments, having left the people they care about so much back there. I am delighted I found this site and delighted to read that there are more people like me. I had been reading so many success stories and its uplifting to realise that there are plenty more people just like me going through the same emotions and roller coaster rides every day. Bringing up three children in a new country with very little of their home comforts is no easy task and trying to keep positive for them is even harder, if they see the cracks they will crack so every day you have to keep going for them. Its not good for them to see mammy in bits after telling them that life is gonna get much better once we move to our new country. You cannot upset childrens lives by letting them see how emotionally stressed you both are. We are a hard working couple who spend our entire lives making sure that our kids are happy and preparing them for life's difficult road. We hope and pray we have made the right decision and in the back of our minds we know we have. It always helps to get a phone call or two from home asking us if there is any chance of us helping others move here too, that makes us realise that things must be bad, especially when those people are all people who were like us two years ago, and living comfortably with very little idea what was lying ahead.......anyone who has left their home country to make a new life elsewhere should be respected and held in the highest regard, its the hardest decision anyone or any couple will ever have to make and saying goodbye to your loved ones has to be the hardest thing we have ever had to do.......Stay strong and keep positive, like I said before, what doesnt break me will only make me stronger.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Londonuck.

P.S. I hate coddle. Saturday nights after the football results, i knew it was coming. Boiled sausages is just wrong.[/QUOTE]

Don't want to come between the "coddlers" and the "coddler haters" here mate,but I think my Da used to make coddle when I was a youngster. Sausages,taters,white pudding,all mashed up and eaten with a loaf or two of bread? Hope I didn't leave anything out. I used to love it too.
Happy new year to you and yours. Still flying the flag over here!!!!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:01 pm
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
Don't want to come between the "coddlers" and the "coddler haters" here mate,but I think my Da used to make coddle when I was a youngster. Sausages,taters,white pudding,all mashed up and eaten with a loaf or two of bread? Hope I didn't leave anything out. I used to love it too.
Happy new year to you and yours. Still flying the flag over here!!!!
You too Mick

Yep, thats coddle.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

You too Mick

Yep, thats coddle.
I have asked myself "how often would you see the above statement "yep, thats coddle" and the answer is "not very often!!".
off topic here, just returned from an eight hour return trip to alicante airport to drop my youngest off. he had been with us for xmas and the new year and it was a great visit. anyhow,when i got home and took my shoes off,my inserts were soaking. so i took them out and hung them out my window(which faces into the narrow street) with pegs. One of my neighbours knocked on my door and asked "what is the significence of the two little white flags on my window-sill". I didn't have the heart to tell him the truth,so I said it was an old Irish custom. They LOVE me here!!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I have old school values, but family is more important to me than anything. You should think about that yourself.
It doesn't seem as if you have any values at all. You mock people who go to the end of the earth to find work while, by your own account, you live by sponging off the taxes of those around you. Give your head a shake.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:04 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It doesn't seem as if you have any values at all. You mock people who go to the end of the earth to find work while, by your own account, you live by sponging off the taxes of those around you. Give your head a shake.
Well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.