Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future
Default Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

hi, i was wondering if anyone could advise me the cheapest way to get approx 3 / 4 boxes back to Ireland from Canada. We moved to Canada in July and shipped items such as PC, Printer, scanner, Xbox 360, Wii, playstation 3, etc. but we have since had to buy all new because they were not working properly in this country. I want to return them to Ireland now where I am hoping my relatives can sell them for me. Any good companies out there who wont charge me an arm and a leg? Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping boxes from Canada to Ireland

I doubt you will make a profit.

Second hand things don't make that much, and then the shipping costs...

I don't think its worth it.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:24 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda
hi, i was wondering if anyone could advise me the cheapest way to get approx 3 / 4 boxes back to Ireland from Canada. We moved to Canada in July and shipped items such as PC, Printer, scanner, Xbox 360, Wii, playstation 3, etc. but we have since had to buy all new because they were not working properly in this country. I want to return them to Ireland now where I am hoping my relatives can sell them for me. Any good companies out there who wont charge me an arm and a leg? Thanks everyone.
The cost of shipping is more than the value of the items. Electrical items are so cheap now it is not worth importing them. The problem you have with regards to shipping is the weight, as they will be going by Air. This is the most expensive way of sending items internationally. If any of your relatives visit give them the items, and they can bring them back in their luggage after paying the excess baggage charge. Its really not worth posting them to Ireland from Canada. Think of it as a lesson learned.
If you are determined to ship from Canada to Ireland then use UPS Canada:
http://www.ups.com/canada/engindex.html

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Jan 2nd 2012 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Thanks, i just wondered if there might be a shipping company that would take them as a groupage consignment as this is how we originally shipped them here. As there is only 3 boxes i didnt think it would cost that much. We shipped 35 boxes here and it cost just over 1,000 euros in july. I know it will be too expensive to UPS them cos I tried to send Xmas gifts by UPS and they wanted 300 dollars for a small box of gifts. i hoped i might be able to get them back to Ireland but if the cost is too expensive, i just wont bother. thanks for the replies everyone.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:06 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, i just wondered if there might be a shipping company that would take them as a groupage consignment as this is how we originally shipped them here. As there is only 3 boxes i didnt think it would cost that much. We shipped 35 boxes here and it cost just over 1,000 euros in july. I know it will be too expensive to UPS them cos I tried to send Xmas gifts by UPS and they wanted 300 dollars for a small box of gifts. i hoped i might be able to get them back to Ireland but if the cost is too expensive, i just wont bother. thanks for the replies everyone.
Where are you in Canada? We were back in the summer but couldnt get any work, it was an expensive nightmare. Plus, we couldnt stand Toronto, what a total dump. Wish we'd gone back to Van.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

we are in winnipeg, we were in edson, alberta for a month and hated every minute of the kip, we got lmo for here thankfully and so far so good, rentzl accommodation very hard to find here and expensive for what you get, but plenty of work, wages very low in comparison to other provinvex too, we will be a long time before we are what i would call comfortable, but at least we are thankful to have this opportunity as hundreds of irish dont get the chance and would give their right arm to swap with us, what work are u looking fir?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
The cost of shipping is more than the value of the items. Electrical items are so cheap now it is not worth importing them. The problem you have with regards to shipping is the weight, as they will be going by Air. This is the most expensive way of sending items internationally. If any of your relatives visit give them the items, and they can bring them back in their luggage after paying the excess baggage charge. Its really not worth posting them to Ireland from Canada. Think of it as a lesson learned.
If you are determined to ship from Canada to Ireland then use UPS Canada:
http://www.ups.com/canada/engindex.html
Yes you will find a shipping company that will take it as groupage, but the trouble is it will be a minimum freight charge and for a small shipment that wont work out cheap. Then you will pay minimum handling charges at both ends also. It's very likely, as others say, that it just wont be worth it.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=DoyleLinda;9817955]we are in winnipeg, we were in edson, alberta for a month and hated every minute of the kip, we got lmo for here thankfully and so far so good, rentzl accommodation very hard to find here and expensive for what you get, but plenty of work, wages very low in comparison to other provinvex too, we will be a long time before we are what i would call comfortable, but at least we are thankful to have this opportunity as hundreds of irish dont get the chance and would give their right arm to swap with us, what work are u looking fir?[/Q

Glad its working out for you, we considered canada but heard there was little work right now.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

yes, there seems to be plenty of work in certain areas but in Winnipeg the wages are much lower than anywhere else and the problem can be finding a company to do an LMO. I have met quite a few who are so we have been lucky. my OH is an automotive technician so they are pretty scarce, particularly good ones, with European experience. They are highly sought after but as i say the wages are very low and cost of living is not cheap - would love to know who said it is. Winnipeg I believe used to be cheaper i comparison with other provinces but its a renters market here and very difficult to find good accommodation in a good area. We are in one of the most sought after areas hence the reason for our very expensive rent. But we are willing to live this way cos we have small children to consider. We both work hard and need the two incomes to make ends meet. If anyone wants advice on work i would be happy to give my thoughts. if you are willing to work there is work here. there are lots of people here who just dont want to work. its all about knowing what you want and how to get it. Also a lot of it is getting to know people and networking. we have had great support and wouldnt be here without it so if anyone wants advice feel free to ask. Thanx for the advice on shipping the consoles, looks like i may cut my losses on that score. Best wishes in meantime to anyone who is starting out on this long road. we pray every day that things will get better but tell ourselves every day it has to be better than being at home right now with the gloom and doom that is happening there. Best wishes and thx for advice guys.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

yes, there seems to be plenty of work in certain areas but in Winnipeg the wages are much lower than anywhere else and the problem can be finding a company to do an LMO. I have met quite a few who are so we have been lucky. my OH is an automotive technician so they are pretty scarce, particularly good ones, with European experience. They are highly sought after but as i say the wages are very low and cost of living is not cheap - would love to know who said it is. Winnipeg I believe used to be cheaper i comparison with other provinces but its a renters market here and very difficult to find good accommodation in a good area. We are in one of the most sought after areas hence the reason for our very expensive rent. But we are willing to live this way cos we have small children to consider. We both work hard and need the two incomes to make ends meet. If anyone wants advice on work i would be happy to give my thoughts. if you are willing to work there is work here. there are lots of people here who just dont want to work. its all about knowing what you want and how to get it. Also a lot of it is getting to know people and networking. we have had great support and wouldnt be here without it so if anyone wants advice feel free to ask. Thanx for the advice on shipping the consoles, looks like i may cut my losses on that score. Best wishes in meantime to anyone who is starting out on this long road. we pray every day that things will get better but tell ourselves every day it has to be better than being at home right now with the gloom and doom that is happening there. Best wishes and thx for advice guys.
The doom and gloom is all I hear about too but I still want to return back to Ireland, if not this year, then next. I am tired being an expat. Everyone is telling me to stay put tho. Its interesting you say that it has to be better than being at home right now. Its such a brave moving heading off to another country. How long have you been gone?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:14 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

we are in winnipeg, we were in edson, alberta for a month and hated every minute of the kip, we got lmo for here thankfully and so far so good, rentzl accommodation very hard to find here and expensive for what you get, but plenty of work, wages very low in comparison to other provinvex too, we will be a long time before we are what i would call comfortable, but at least we are thankful to have this opportunity as hundreds of irish dont get the chance and would give their right arm to swap with us, what work are u looking fir?

Thats the thing about Canada, you survive. When we lived in Vancouver I couldnt get over how many of my colleagues had two jobs. At the moment you need to live in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland to afford a house but then when you going to do for a living? I would rather live in Croydon than most of them We would of returned to Van this time but property is the same level as Dublin, unaffordable. I think we will return to BC but as retirees - so glad we got our citizenship!

HB above... i really would stay put at the moment. Ireland's not going anywhere.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jan 4th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Thats the thing about Canada, you survive. When we lived in Vancouver I couldnt get over how many of my colleagues had two jobs. At the moment you need to live in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland to afford a house but then when you going to do for a living? I would rather live in Croydon than most of them We would of returned to Van this time but property is the same level as Dublin, unaffordable. I think we will return to BC but as retirees - so glad we got our citizenship!

HB above... i really would stay put at the moment. Ireland's not going anywhere.
I used to live in croydon and also loved my time in Vancouver. So would you never want to return to Ireland then?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:58 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
I used to live in croydon and also loved my time in Vancouver. So would you never want to return to Ireland then?
Love the place but i will never live there again. I didnt really want to live there last time but my wife got an excellent job and I was desperate to get away from London. My only regret is leaving North Vancouver in '04.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Love the place but i will never live there again. I didnt really want to live there last time but my wife got an excellent job and I was desperate to get away from London. My only regret is leaving North Vancouver in '04.
so I take it you are working your way back to canada then? I'm a dub but wouldnt want to live in dublin again either. Co Meath is where I want to be.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:15 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
so I take it you are working your way back to canada then? I'm a dub but wouldnt want to live in dublin again either. Co Meath is where I want to be.
Dont know really. Still stunned that im back in London to be honest. Ive got the hump with Canada right now after the Toronto debacle. But I would like to be in Vancouver, but its hard to get back in again.

My entire family is from Dublin. My Mums from Clanbrassil St and my Dads from Ringsend.

Ahh I see, you're in NZL. Spent some time while backpacking in Auckland. Got into a bit of aggro with some Maoris... they're not scary at all!

Last edited by Londonuck; Jan 4th 2012 at 9:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.