Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Seriously considering a move to Ireland

Seriously considering a move to Ireland

Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seriously considering a move to Ireland

Hello, I am originally from the UK however I live in the United States as a permanent resident. My father was born and lives in County Mayo, my mother was from Westmeath so obviously I am automatically an Irish Citizen through my parents. I have been back and fourth between Ireland, the UK and have been travelling with my American wife to Ireland from here every Christmas for a few years, and every time we're forced to leave family behind it breaks our heart.

Obviously my main concern would be the job situation, here in America I work as a Data Analyst with years of experience and a college degree, from what I've found, most work is in Dublin, however I would be looking to commute from the Westmeath area as housing in Dublin is a little on the crazy side.

My questions as of right now would be:

Would I be wise to actually apply for an Irish passport before moving, I hold a British passport and obviously would be bringing my American Wife with me as she is married to me as an Irish citizen through my parents (My birth cert obviously states my parents birthplaces as Irish Republic, but I am unsure if this is enough)

How likely would I be to find a job when landing, I've found quite a large number of eligible positions but obviously I know there is a lot of competition
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seriously considering a move to Ireland

There are a lot of IT jobs in the Galway area and accommodation would be cheaper than the East coast.