Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Right to vote in referendum

Right to vote in referendum

Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:09 am
Just Joined

aabarnes1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right to vote in referendum

As a UK citizen, married to an Irish girl and living in Dublin for 20 years I am still not allowed to vote in a referendum. Irish nationals resident in the UK are allowed to vote in UK referenda, hardly fair is it. I pay a lot of tax here now and have done over the years so I think it's only fair that I( we) should be able to participate in Irish referenda. Is this an issue for anyone else or is it just me?
I have contacted 2 TD's regarding this but as yet, have not received a reply.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right to vote in referendum

Originally Posted by aabarnes1
As a UK citizen, married to an Irish girl and living in Dublin for 20 years I am still not allowed to vote in a referendum. Irish nationals resident in the UK are allowed to vote in UK referenda, hardly fair is it. I pay a lot of tax here now and have done over the years so I think it's only fair that I( we) should be able to participate in Irish referenda. Is this an issue for anyone else or is it just me?
A lot will depend on the referendum, the Scottish independence referendum was NOT open to scots living outside Scotland, sometimes they will be, others not, depends on how the people running it set the limits. Referenda are not like Parliamentary elections.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Irish nationals can not vote here either if they live abroad, they can however, come home for a holiday and vote. My point is that, you can't vote here in a referendum unless you are an Irish national, even some of the refugees and asylum seekers have more rights than I do and they dont/wont work. I don't want to become a national, I do want the right to vote in referenda that may affect my life.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Become an Irish citizen, problem solved.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Become an Irish citizen, problem solved.
Did you read my previous quote?
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

As a UK citizen, married to an Irish girl and living in Dublin for 20 years I am still not allowed to vote in a referendum. Irish nationals resident in the UK are allowed to vote in UK referenda, hardly fair is it. I pay a lot of tax here now and have done over the years so I think it's only fair that I( we) should be able to participate in Irish referenda. Is this an issue for anyone else or is it just me?I have contacted 2 TD's regarding this but as yet, have not received a reply.
I know it's not great and I agree with you, but that's how it is:You might want to become an Irish Citizen as BritInParis mentioned:Becoming an Irish citizen through naturalisation
If it bothers you, that's the only way.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 4th 2016 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read my previous quote?
I did but I don't think it's a particularly logical position if a lack of referenda voting rights is that much of a problem for you.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I find the refusal to become a citizen rather odd.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

mrhappygolucky will become famous soon enoughmrhappygolucky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scot47
I find the refusal to become a citizen rather odd.
I find it odd that people really concern themselves with such banal crap - can't they just get a life for **** sake.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You want to be involved in Irish politics, become an irish citizen. If you don't want to do that why bitch about political events ?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

As a UK citizen, married to an Irish girl and living in Dublin for 20 years I am still not allowed to vote in a referendum.

Irish nationals resident in the UK are allowed to vote in UK referenda, hardly fair is it. I pay a lot of tax here now and have done over the years so I think it's only fair that I( we) should be able to participate in Irish referenda. Is this an issue for anyone else or is it just me?

if its the up coming EU referendum on June 23, then, according to the UK electoral office, as follows

Who will be able to vote?

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are resident in the UK, along with UK nationals living abroad who have been on the electoral register in the UK in the past 15 years.

Members of the House of Lords and Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar will also be eligible, unlike in a general election. Citizens from EU countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - will not get a vote.

reference:

Overseas voters - About my vote

How British expats can vote in the UK EU referendum | euronews, world news

Britain's EU referendum: who gets to vote is a potential deciding factor | Politics | The Guardian
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You want to be involved in Irish politics, become an irish citizen. If you don't want to do that why bitch about political events ?
I think the OP's point is that while UK based Irish citizens can vote in any elections / referendum in the UK. ROI based British Citizens should have the reciprocity right to vote in all ROI elections / referendum.

To turn your argument around, lots of Commonwealth citizens voted in UK elections. Would anyone in the UK tell them that in order to be involve in British politics, they need to become a British Citizen?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would ne my position. The Commonwealth is an anachronism and it is time that we recognised that fact.